pkmicro

Default Dripping water under GE Refrigerator

Hi,

I have an old GE 24 Cu. ft. Side-by-side Refrigerator. Lately it has been
dripping water under the front freezer door
and the Front water dispenser is not working (no water coming out). But the
Ice maker is still working. I could see
a thick layer of ice build up on the bottom of the freezer under the meat
tray. Can anyone here tell me if I can fix
this? I have read the manual and it says that the water supply line might
be clogged with sediments.
But it did not show me how to remove and replace the plastic tube. Can this
be done by my self or should I call
the repair technician. Does it worth fixing or it's time to buy a new one.
It's 20 years old. Thanks in advance.

Joseph Meehan

pkmicro wrote:
Hi,

I have an old GE 24 Cu. ft. Side-by-side Refrigerator. Lately it has
been dripping water under the front freezer door
and the Front water dispenser is not working (no water coming out). But
the Ice maker is still working. I could see
a thick layer of ice build up on the bottom of the freezer under the
meat tray. Can anyone here tell me if I can fix
this? I have read the manual and it says that the water supply line
might be clogged with sediments.
But it did not show me how to remove and replace the plastic tube. Can
this be done by my self or should I call
the repair technician. Does it worth fixing or it's time to buy a
new one. It's 20 years old. Thanks in advance.

At 20 years old I would not put a lot of money into repairs. However I
can think of two I would try.

Replacing or cleaning that filter should be an easy job. I don't know
your frig so I can't give you any detailed instructions. Maybe someone will
or you can try a appliance parts supply and see if they have a filter
available for that model. It may well come with the instructions.

I would also suggest, after the above, that you unplug it for at lest 24
hours. That means finding neighbors to store some of your food and eating
the rest. It will allow the frost that is there to melt off. That in
itself maybe causing some problems. I suggest 24 hours as many times some of
that ice is built up inside where you can't see it and it takes a long time
to melt. Leave the doors blocked open.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Appliance Repair Aid

pkmicro wrote:
[...]

A plugged/restricted defrost drain is common for doing that...something
that may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_leaking.html

the Front water dispenser is not working (no water coming out).

Probably an ( another ) seperate problem.

Lately it has been
dripping water under the front freezer door

That is posssibly from the ice inside the bottom of the freezer and
related to the defrost drain issue.

I have read the manual and it says that the water supply line might
be clogged with sediments.

Rare! Then the icemaker would likely not work as well.

Does it worth fixing or it's time to buy a new one.

If the unit is still cooling and freezing properly, why not as it would
be much cheaper than replacing it.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Joseph Meehan

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
pkmicro wrote:
[...]

I think you may be right about the drain issue after re-reading the
original message. I was personally skeptical about the filter, but it is
something a user should be able to replace themselves at little cost.

The only think I might disagree with you about is the economics of
replacing vs repairing a 20 year old machine. It has been my experience
(likely more limited that yours which is why I am asking) that machines of
that age are more likely to start having problems. So one expensive repair
may be followed by others.

In addition it seems to me that efficiency has improved over the last 20
years so that must also be factored in. the cost of operation of a frig is
often greatly underestimated and the savings of an increase in efficiency
can be a lot. For that matter the choice of a more efficient style machine
(like top freezer vs side by side) can make a very large difference in life
time cost.

I am sure I will find your comments interesting and informative.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Appliance Repair Aid

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
pkmicro wrote:
[...]

When we get into refrigerant leakers, compressor problems, cooling
issues I tend to agree...but so far a leak from what sounds like a
defrost drain issue and no chilled water is not major enough for me to
consider replacing the refrigerator.

In addition it seems to me that efficiency has improved over the

last 20
years so that must also be factored in. the cost of operation of a

frig is
often greatly underestimated and the savings of an increase in

efficiency
can be a lot. For that matter the choice of a more efficient style

machine
(like top freezer vs side by side) can make a very large difference

in life
time cost.

SxS style has always and probably always will use more hydro/energy
than top freezer styles...*I* - *we* would likely never get used to
using a top freezer refrigerator after owning a SxS style for 20+ years

The energy savings are -sometimes- over stated...most manufactures tell
us we can save APPROX $40-100.00 a year by replacing our
refrigerator...on a SxS with water and ice, up here they start around
$1500.00, takes many moons to get our money back replacing the
refrigerator get for the energy savings.
Also the units built today are designed to use less hydro/energy and
the way they do this is with lighter parts...that seem to break more
often...-usually- costing us more in repairs than the energy savings
can be....JMO!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

I had a similar problem last summer. It turned out the drain hose was
plugged. After several tries to unplug it with a thin wire, I simply
attached a turkey baster to the end of the hose and gave it a couple of
good squeezes. The forced air blew out the clog and I haven't had a
problem since. Good luck!
Tom

Joseph Meehan

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
pkmicro wrote:
[...]

I agree with that.

[...]

Thanks for your comments.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Stormin Mormon

Some usenet posters find it useful to trim excess text.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
pkmicro wrote:
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Ah, trade secret. Here's another one. USe a metal hose clamp to keep the
bulb from falling off the turkey baster tube.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a similar problem last summer. It turned out the drain hose was
plugged. After several tries to unplug it with a thin wire, I simply
attached a turkey baster to the end of the hose and gave it a couple of
good squeezes. The forced air blew out the clog and I haven't had a
problem since. Good luck!
Tom

Stormin Mormon

That's the big test. If it's cooling, the compressor works, and it's got
freon in it.

Frozen solid = yes cooling.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message

Does it worth fixing or it's time to buy a new one.

If the unit is still cooling and freezing properly, why not as it would
be much cheaper than replacing it.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green Naugahyde Home Repair 17 December 20th 17 07:34 PM
GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM