Grunff

Default OT Silastic Automotive Compound

dave wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy "Silastic Automotive Compound" from?
I need it to reseal a box of electronics and this has stuff has suggested.
tia

Isn't that just silicone rubber?

--
Grunff
Steven Briggs

In message , dave
writes
Does anyone know where I can buy "Silastic Automotive Compound" from?
I need it to reseal a box of electronics and this has stuff has suggested.
tia

Silastic is a brand name of Dow Corning for their silicone.

For electronics applications we always use Dow Corning Silastic 744 at
work.
The important thing is that it's a neutral cure product, the acetic cure
stuff will cause corrosion problems with the copper in electronic
products.
Neutral cure stuff smells of methanol (I always think a bit "minty"),
acetic smells of vinegar.

If the job's important, I'd get electronics grade silicone from Farnell
or similar, otherwise you local shed/BM will have neutral cure builders
silicone that _may_ do the job.

--
steve
mindwipe

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
enews.net...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "dave"
e says...
Does anyone know where I can buy "Silastic Automotive Compound"

from?
I need it to reseal a box of electronics and this has stuff has

suggested.
tia

Sounds like silicone liquid gasket - I'd have thought motor factors
or engineering suppliers will have it, otherwise something like
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=530164

I doubt it's silicone based at all, sounds more like a mastic type
compound, as used to seal body seams.

just use bathroom silicone sealer

:::Jerry::::

"mindwipe" wrote in message

snip

just use bathroom silicone sealer

Another person who seems to think that silicone sealer is a 'one
sealer does all' solution.... :~(

Chip

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:16 +0100,it is alleged that ":::Jerry::::"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

"mindwipe" wrote in message

snip

just use bathroom silicone sealer

Another person who seems to think that silicone sealer is a 'one
sealer does all' solution.... :~(

One word of caution, normal silicone + electronics, often = non
functioning electronics. The acetic acid evolved when it cures is
highly corrosive to copper.

--
There are three things which I consider excellent advice. First, don't
smoke to excess. Second, don't drink to excess.
mindwipe

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"mindwipe" wrote in message

snip

just use bathroom silicone sealer

Another person who seems to think that silicone sealer is a 'one
sealer does all' solution.... :~(

yet it will ,in this case, do the job of sealing and gluing an electrical
case together

:::Jerry::::

"mindwipe" wrote in message

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

snip

Another person who seems to think that silicone sealer is a 'one
sealer does all' solution.... :~(

yet it will ,in this case, do the job of sealing and gluing an

electrical
case together

Read the thread wan*er....

:::Jerry::::

"mindwipe" wrote in message

snip clap

You utter moron. BTW, haven't you spelt your user name wrong,
shouldn't it be 'arsewipe' ?

mindwipe

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
enews.net...

"mindwipe" wrote in message

snip clap

You utter moron. BTW, haven't you spelt your user name wrong,
shouldn't it be 'arsewipe' ?

still a prick i see
arsewipe is something i'm sure you still need your mum for