Jon Weaver

Default Is it OK to put floor tiles on 'self leveling compound'?

My builder is finally going to screed the floor this weekend, but,
fair play to him, he has admitted that as he isn't a plasterer, I
should expect a completely smooth finish.

As I am laying floor tiles, I am guess that as long as the floor isn't
too bad, I can absorb the slight inperfections with the tile adhesive.

However, he has suggested that I put self leveling compound down
before tiling, which seems a good idea. Is there any problems laying
kind of material on new screed, or laying tiles on top of it?

Following advice from this group, I am waiting a few weeks for the
screed to go off before laying the tiles, so I am guessing I should
also wait the same time-frame before putting down the S.L.Compound.

However, I have a number of questions.

- Assuming the screed has completely gone off (say 2 to 3 weeks) and I
lay the compound, how long after this can I tile.

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the screed before laying the
compound

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the compound before tiling?

As always, and info would be hugely appreciated.

Best regards

Jon
David

However, I have a number of questions.

- Assuming the screed has completely gone off (say 2 to 3 weeks) and I
lay the compound, how long after this can I tile.

leave for a day

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the screed before laying the
compound

Yes, if not the leveler will have the moisture sucked out before it cures.
This also has the efect of making the mix go stiff to fast not allowing it
to 'self level' . Later it is likley to break up.

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the compound before tiling?

No, Leveling compound is self sealing

To be honest the builder should be levelling the floor. Chances are he will
do it the next day and won't take as much care

David

www.tradetiler.com

The Natural Philosopher

Jon Weaver wrote:

My builder is finally going to screed the floor this weekend, but,
fair play to him, he has admitted that as he isn't a plasterer, I
should expect a completely smooth finish.

As I am laying floor tiles, I am guess that as long as the floor isn't
too bad, I can absorb the slight inperfections with the tile adhesive.

However, he has suggested that I put self leveling compound down
before tiling, which seems a good idea. Is there any problems laying
kind of material on new screed, or laying tiles on top of it?

Following advice from this group, I am waiting a few weeks for the
screed to go off before laying the tiles, so I am guessing I should
also wait the same time-frame before putting down the S.L.Compound.

(i) Either thuick bed or self levelling will work.

(ii) I don't think it really matters much about letting the screed dry
out of you are tiling. Certainly not if levelling - its just another
layer of wet stuff. I'd level the next day really. Only issues are that
if the screed DOES crack, it may bugger up the tiling.

However, I have a number of questions.

- Assuming the screed has completely gone off (say 2 to 3 weeks) and I
lay the compound, how long after this can I tile.

Immeadiately

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the screed before laying the
compound

Absolutely essential to get the levelling to 'flow'.

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the compound before tiling?

No. Use rapid set tile cement for an easy life. It goes off enough in
1/2 hour to lock the tiles in place. Otherwise they can - and do -
slowly 'slump' before it sets. Especially on a deep bed that may be
needed if the floor isn't spot on (elevlling doesn';t level better than
+-3mm IME).