The Natural Philosopher

Default Is it OK to put floor tiles on 'self leveling compound'?

Jon Weaver wrote:

My builder is finally going to screed the floor this weekend, but,
fair play to him, he has admitted that as he isn't a plasterer, I
should expect a completely smooth finish.

As I am laying floor tiles, I am guess that as long as the floor isn't
too bad, I can absorb the slight inperfections with the tile adhesive.

However, he has suggested that I put self leveling compound down
before tiling, which seems a good idea. Is there any problems laying
kind of material on new screed, or laying tiles on top of it?

Following advice from this group, I am waiting a few weeks for the
screed to go off before laying the tiles, so I am guessing I should
also wait the same time-frame before putting down the S.L.Compound.

(i) Either thuick bed or self levelling will work.

(ii) I don't think it really matters much about letting the screed dry
out of you are tiling. Certainly not if levelling - its just another
layer of wet stuff. I'd level the next day really. Only issues are that
if the screed DOES crack, it may bugger up the tiling.

However, I have a number of questions.

- Assuming the screed has completely gone off (say 2 to 3 weeks) and I
lay the compound, how long after this can I tile.

Immeadiately

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the screed before laying the
compound

Absolutely essential to get the levelling to 'flow'.

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the compound before tiling?

No. Use rapid set tile cement for an easy life. It goes off enough in
1/2 hour to lock the tiles in place. Otherwise they can - and do -
slowly 'slump' before it sets. Especially on a deep bed that may be
needed if the floor isn't spot on (elevlling doesn';t level better than
+-3mm IME).

As always, and info would be hugely appreciated.

Best regards

Jon