Neil

Default Self Levelling Floor Compound Newbie help...

Hi,

I am in the process of putting down a swanky new laminate floor.
However to my dismay, I have noticed the concrete floor I am to be
laying it on is not level. Using a piece of string, the floor dips to
about 1cm in the middle.

Having bought a bag of self-levelling compound, I am going to attempt
to level this floor out. Being a complete DIY novice, I have a few
questions regarding this:

1. What exactly does self-levelling mean? Will the compound
automatically fill in the dip when laid or do I have to make sure it
is level myself?

2. If so, do I therefore put more of the compound in the dip and less
as the sides?

3. How can I tell the floor is level once the compound is down? Is the
string method the best way to check this?

4. The packet mentions to only lay to a depth of 5mm, will I have to
do a second layer to make up to 1cm?

5. Should I leave this to a professional?!

Thanks for any advice...

Neil.
stuart noble

Neil wrote in message .. .
[...]

You need to level it yourself but a length of straight timber (or, better
still, 6" contiboard) is all you need. Getting the surface flat is the main
thing. It doesn't have to be spirit-level level.

Dave

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Neil wrote in message .. .
[...]

Life gets much easier if you seal the concrete with dilute PVA before you
start, otherwise the screed sets/cures too fast.

Dave S

The Natural Philosopher

Neil wrote in message .. .

[...]

That is iunderstating. PVA is essential.

Dave S