kev

Default newbie: plastering.

Excuse my ignorance but I will shortly be having a room plastrered 3 of the
4 walls, will, I think just need reskimming. The other is currently bare
brick.

Can/Will the plasterer just plaster directly onto the brick or will I have
to fit plasterboard 1st?

Many thanks.

Kevin

Martin_C

"kev" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance but I will shortly be having a room plastrered 3 of

the
4 walls, will, I think just need reskimming. The other is currently bare
brick.

Can/Will the plasterer just plaster directly onto the brick or will I have
to fit plasterboard 1st?

Many thanks.

Kevin

I would use either:

Browning or bonding and skim with plaster or use universal one coat.
--
Regards,
Martin

kev

thanks very much.

"brixton mcfarlane" wrote in message
Can/Will the plasterer just plaster directly onto the brick or will I
have to fit plasterboard 1st?

The plasterer will go straight into brick with undercoat plaster (Carlite
Browning), and then skim it as usual.

If you wanted to save money on the cost of him plastering, you could fix
plasterboard to the wall with 'dabs' of adhesive. This isn't very hard if
the wall is flat (ie not concave or convex). Bearing in mind the high
hourly rate of plasters, and the cheap cost of plasterboard, this is
definitely worth considering.

Read your DIY book first to discover how to use jointing tape on pieces of
plasterboard, however. If you don't do this, you'll just end up with

cracks
in the skim plaster.

--

______
sent from RedHat 9

Ade

brixton mcfarlane wrote:

snip

Bearing in mind the high hourly rate of plasters,

....guess that just about sums up DIY in general ;-)
Michael McNeil

"Philip Wagstaff" wrote in message ...
I'm only a DIYer but until a pro answers here's my tuppence worth.

Either. Drywall - sticking on plasterboard - is faster and cheaper and can
be done by the DIYer without too much trouble (so I'm told!).

I've done some plastering and it's not fun.

Make up relatively small batches of browning (undercoat) plaster, plaster
between wooden depth guides fastened to the bricks, carry over on a hawk
(homemade works but plywood disintegrates from the soaking) etc. (As you get
better you can cope with larger batches.)

All apparatus has to be thoroughly cleaned for the next batch. Definitely a
two-man job and watch where you dispose of the waste water - so easy to bung
up the sewers.

Set and dry ready for finishing plaster, abt 5mm thick. Allow to semi set
before 'polishing' for smooth finish.

Quite difficult (you're much better at the end!), tiring and incredibly
dirty, plaster gets everywhere - watch your boots or it'll finish up
throughout the house.

"Martin_C" wrote in message

"kev" wrote in message
Excuse my ignorance but I will shortly be having a room plastrered 3 of

the
4 walls, will, I think just need reskimming. The other is currently bare
brick.

Can/Will the plasterer just plaster directly onto the brick or will I

have
to fit plasterboard 1st?

If you get it wrong the plasterer will not be at all happy. He coud
plasterboard the wall for you in an hour or so if you have the
materials there. Do you know how to fireproof the pbd? Have you got a
Darby or good straight edge to get the line right? And how are you
going to plumb it up?

Consulting costs nothing does it? Remember he can do it 5 times faster
than you and it will be right. What will you be saving?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
brixton mcfarlane writes:
Can/Will the plasterer just plaster directly onto the brick or will I
have to fit plasterboard 1st?

The plasterer will go straight into brick with undercoat plaster (Carlite
Browning), and then skim it as usual.

If you wanted to save money on the cost of him plastering, you could fix
plasterboard to the wall with 'dabs' of adhesive. This isn't very hard if
the wall is flat (ie not concave or convex). Bearing in mind the high
hourly rate of plasters, and the cheap cost of plasterboard, this is
definitely worth considering.

Sorry but I disagree. If you are getting a plasterer in, leave him
to do this. You will probably pay for a day's time anyway, and he
can do the scratch coat and finish coat the same day (unless the
room is enormous). He is unlikely to want to skim over your D.I.Y.
plasterboard, and the results might show it.

--
Andrew Gabriel