John Smith

Default Putty - still the choice for windows?

Hi,

I have a wooden window, about 16" x 24", that the outside putty is falling
off. I have to replace it obviously and, as I have not puttied in a long
time, I wonder whether putty is still considered the correct material to use
or whether there are newer, more flexible, easier to use products around?
Any suggestions welcome... or should I stick with the knife and putty?

The window faces the sea and takes quite a hammering from the elements but,
basically, the putty has lasted since about 1989.

Thanks,

John.

Chris Bacon

John Smith wrote:
I have a wooden window, about 16" x 24", that the outside putty is falling
off. I have to replace it obviously and, as I have not puttied in a long
time, I wonder whether putty is still considered the correct material to use
or whether there are newer, more flexible, easier to use products around?
Any suggestions welcome... or should I stick with the knife and putty?

Putty is good, the oil in it helps stop your window rotting. There's
a lot of stuff which you can use instead, but putty+paint is good.

Talking of putty.

What's the best way to paint putty ?

Do you paint it while it's fresh or leave it for a while ?

Are there any tips and tricks ?

andrewpreece

wrote in message
oups.com...
Talking of putty.

What's the best way to paint putty ?

Do you paint it while it's fresh or leave it for a while ?

Are there any tips and tricks ?

You need to let it form a skin, otherwise it mingles with the paint when you
put it on.
I found that one day isn't enough to form a skin, but the tub says it should
be painted
within a week (? or was it month?!!) so I would give it a few days before
painting. It will
form a skin much quicker IMHO if it is in a draught or can catch the breeze.
Oh., there is a special putty knife, I've never used one but I imagine it's
worthwhile.
Also, don't put so much putty on that it is visible from inside the window:
I did that once and
it looks naff.

Andy

John Smith

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a wooden window, about 16" x 24", that the outside putty is falling
off. I have to replace it obviously and, as I have not puttied in a long
time, I wonder whether putty is still considered the correct material to
use or whether there are newer, more flexible, easier to use products
around? Any suggestions welcome... or should I stick with the knife and
putty?

The window faces the sea and takes quite a hammering from the elements
but, basically, the putty has lasted since about 1989.

Thanks,

John.

Thanks all.

Drains leak with plumber's putty Greg Home Repair 9 May 19th 05 08:58 PM
colored glazing putty Rob Woodworking 2 May 1st 05 01:31 AM
Any way to speed up putty drying...? Jim UK diy 9 March 18th 05 02:38 PM
Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty nosredna Home Repair 3 July 8th 04 09:50 PM
Window Glazing Jay Pique Woodworking 21 December 8th 03 07:12 PM