Colin

Default Sewage/Drain pipe advice please

Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places in the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over it at
some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation as to how
deep it should be buried? I guess to maintain the drop this will involve
building up the ground around it.

The pipe is 9 inch internal diameter, made of clay(?) and goes into a mains
sewer.

TIA Colin

Mike

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places in the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over it at
some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation as to

how
deep it should be buried?

There is if you were replacing the whole lot but as a repair you can replace
like for like.

But as it's been broken once, I'd look at adding some protection.

Colin

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places in
the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over it at
some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation as to

how
deep it should be buried?

There is if you were replacing the whole lot but as a repair you can
replace
like for like.

But as it's been broken once, I'd look at adding some protection.

Replacing like-for-like sounds like a good idea.

Any idea what guideline depth I ought to be aiming for?

Cheers, Colin

Set Square

Colin wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places
in the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over
it at some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation
as to how deep it should be buried?

There is if you were replacing the whole lot but as a repair you can
replace
like for like.

But as it's been broken once, I'd look at adding some protection.

Replacing like-for-like sounds like a good idea.

Any idea what guideline depth I ought to be aiming for?

Cheers, Colin

You may not have any choice! The start-point - where it leaves your
property and the endpoint - where it joins the public sewer - are
pre-defined. Unless there is a very large vertical drop relative to the
horizontal distance - which would allow you to go vertically down from the
start point before starting the horizontal-ish run - you'll by restricted to
simply laying it in a way which gives a constant gradient from start point
to end point.

The easiest way to proceed is to carefully cut the clay pipe near each end
with an angle grinder. Then remove the clay pipe between the cuts and
replace it with plastic. At each end, join plastic to clay with flexible
rubber couplings, held on with jubilee clips, designed for the purpose. The
new pipe needs to be bedded in, and surrounded by, several inches of pea
gravel. If vehicles are going to go over it, concrete slabs over the pea
gravel but under the topsoil would be a good idea to spread the load.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

BigWallop

"Colin" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places in
the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over it

at
some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation as to

how
deep it should be buried?

There is if you were replacing the whole lot but as a repair you can
replace
like for like.

But as it's been broken once, I'd look at adding some protection.

Replacing like-for-like sounds like a good idea.

Any idea what guideline depth I ought to be aiming for?

Cheers, Colin

The same depth it is now, if you're replacing like for like, but make some
sort of protection which is going to take more weight. Encasing the pipe in
a concrete sheath will make it slightly more robust for heavy vehicle
traffic.

Dig out the old pipe, exposing the whole thing all around it for about a 500
mm or so. Replace the pipe and make good. Pour in a couple of tonnes of
pre-mix concrete all around it to make up the 500 mm below and above the
pipe.

Make sure it left exposed for a couple of days, to allow the wet mix to cure
properly, then back fill it. Should give the pipe a lot more strength for
vehicle traffic passing over it. And it's not that expensive to buy a load
of pre-mix concrete.

Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:13:51 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Colin" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places in
the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over it at
some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation as to

how
deep it should be buried?

There is if you were replacing the whole lot but as a repair you can
replace
like for like.

Replacing like-for-like sounds like a good idea.

Any idea what guideline depth I ought to be aiming for?

The same depth as the bits of pipe you're replacing.

You say it's a 225mm (9") pipe from _your_ house? Does this just
serve your house, because 225mm seems very large. A single house
would normally only need a 100mm diameter pipe; most housing estates
don't need anything larger than 150mm.

If it is excessively large, and there's no good reason for it (it's
not also serving a culvert, for example), you could line it.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
tony sayer

In article , Hugo Nebula
abuse@localhost.? writes

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message

[...]

Don't suppose they would, unless the network traffic was too large at
any time for the "pip". Now I suppose someone does some calc's of an
outbreak of the colly wobbles and the probability of system
overload....

--
Tony Sayer

John

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places in the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over it at
some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation as to
how deep it should be buried? I guess to maintain the drop this will
involve building up the ground around it.

The pipe is 9 inch internal diameter, made of clay(?) and goes into a
mains sewer.

You may have to keep the pipe at the same depth and fall as at present to
maintain its operation unless you have a dispensation from the laws of
gravityg

It sounds a bloody big pipe - is it shared between a number of properties or
have you a specific need for that size? In any case it may need protection
from heavy loads by other means if the depth is fixed. Concrete makes a good
protector as long as it is strong enough

Mike

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message

You say it's a 225mm (9") pipe from _your_ house? Does this just
serve your house, because 225mm seems very large.

Good point. Q to the OP - is this also a flood culvert ? If it is you may
find the EA own it and will repair it for you.

Colin

"Mike" wrote in message

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message

You say it's a 225mm (9") pipe from _your_ house? Does this just
serve your house, because 225mm seems very large.

Good point. Q to the OP - is this also a flood culvert ? If it is you
may
find the EA own it and will repair it for you.

Yes, definitely 9 inch internal diameter. It only serves our house (sewage
and rainwater).

Someone suggested that maybe possible to place a smaller diameter pipe
through the middle. Problem is, the run is well over 100m. I guess that it
would not be wise to go from 9 inch to 4 inch as it may cause things to back
up a bit(?)

Colin

Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:00:55 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Colin" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Someone suggested that maybe possible to place a smaller diameter pipe
through the middle. Problem is, the run is well over 100m. I guess that it
would not be wise to go from 9 inch to 4 inch as it may cause things to back
up a bit(?)

Provided it's laid to a fall, it shouldn't do. You might want a
couple of chambers along the run; the max recommended length between
inspection chambers is 45m. As I said before, you could consider
lining the pipe.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Set Square

Colin wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message

You say it's a 225mm (9") pipe from _your_ house? Does this just
serve your house, because 225mm seems very large.

Good point. Q to the OP - is this also a flood culvert ? If it is
you may
find the EA own it and will repair it for you.

Yes, definitely 9 inch internal diameter. It only serves our house
(sewage and rainwater).

Someone suggested that maybe possible to place a smaller diameter pipe
through the middle. Problem is, the run is well over 100m. I guess
that it would not be wise to go from 9 inch to 4 inch as it may cause
things to back up a bit(?)

Colin

Do you know whether the pipe is completely smashed in places? What symptoms
are you suffering?

In some cases, pipes can be lined - but it's not a DIY job. A plastic
lining - like a very long sock turned inside out and inpregnated with
resin - is propelled through the pipe using compressed air, and then trimmed
at the end once in situ. Once the resin goes off, it forms a rigid liner
which bridges any small cracks and mis-alignments in the pipes. Then
internal diameter of the pipe is reduced by only a very small amount. The
beauty is that it can be installed with with minimum of excavation. It's
usually necessary to send a remote controlled camera down the pipe first, to
identify any major breakages. These have to be excavated, but the remainder
can simply be lined.

This technique is frequently used by water companies. A private sewer which
passes under my garden - altough it doesn't serve my property! - has been
lined in this way.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Colin

This technique is frequently used by water companies. A private sewer
which
passes under my garden - altough it doesn't serve my property! - has been
lined in this way.

What a fantastic solution.

I haven't excavated the pipe fully, but I suspect it is totally smashed in
at least two places as I have uncovered some large chunks of pipe.

I may pursue the insurance option. I am starting to think that the problem
is one of those that get worse and worse the deeper you get into it.

Colin

Rick

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:46:45 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Colin" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
[...]

If you are going to burry it in concrete (60 quid a cube round my way,
assuming you buy 6 cubes), you might be better to consider replacing
the whole pipe, an excavator can do 100m a day (a long day) for 15
quid an hour including driver round my way.

Modern plastic pipe will have a bit more give than the old clay ones,
but price the pipe up first. There are special stronger pipes for
putting under roads, which will mean no concrete.

I replaced my whole water pipe, 200m, becase it leaked twice, and I
wanted to not have it leak again.

To save attaching to the main sewer, you attach your new pipe a foot
or two back from the main sewer.

Rick