Set Square

Colin wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message

You say it's a 225mm (9") pipe from _your_ house? Does this just
serve your house, because 225mm seems very large.

Good point. Q to the OP - is this also a flood culvert ? If it is
you may
find the EA own it and will repair it for you.

Yes, definitely 9 inch internal diameter. It only serves our house
(sewage and rainwater).

Someone suggested that maybe possible to place a smaller diameter pipe
through the middle. Problem is, the run is well over 100m. I guess
that it would not be wise to go from 9 inch to 4 inch as it may cause
things to back up a bit(?)

Colin

Do you know whether the pipe is completely smashed in places? What symptoms
are you suffering?

In some cases, pipes can be lined - but it's not a DIY job. A plastic
lining - like a very long sock turned inside out and inpregnated with
resin - is propelled through the pipe using compressed air, and then trimmed
at the end once in situ. Once the resin goes off, it forms a rigid liner
which bridges any small cracks and mis-alignments in the pipes. Then
internal diameter of the pipe is reduced by only a very small amount. The
beauty is that it can be installed with with minimum of excavation. It's
usually necessary to send a remote controlled camera down the pipe first, to
identify any major breakages. These have to be excavated, but the remainder
can simply be lined.

This technique is frequently used by water companies. A private sewer which
passes under my garden - altough it doesn't serve my property! - has been
lined in this way.
--
Cheers,
Set Square