Set Square

Colin wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi, - more problems!

The main drain pipe from our house seems to have broken in 4 places
in the
field adjacent our house. Some large vehicle must have driven over
it at some stage.

If I was to replace this section of pipe, is there any regulation
as to how deep it should be buried?

There is if you were replacing the whole lot but as a repair you can
replace
like for like.

But as it's been broken once, I'd look at adding some protection.

Replacing like-for-like sounds like a good idea.

Any idea what guideline depth I ought to be aiming for?

Cheers, Colin

You may not have any choice! The start-point - where it leaves your
property and the endpoint - where it joins the public sewer - are
pre-defined. Unless there is a very large vertical drop relative to the
horizontal distance - which would allow you to go vertically down from the
start point before starting the horizontal-ish run - you'll by restricted to
simply laying it in a way which gives a constant gradient from start point
to end point.

The easiest way to proceed is to carefully cut the clay pipe near each end
with an angle grinder. Then remove the clay pipe between the cuts and
replace it with plastic. At each end, join plastic to clay with flexible
rubber couplings, held on with jubilee clips, designed for the purpose. The
new pipe needs to be bedded in, and surrounded by, several inches of pea
gravel. If vehicles are going to go over it, concrete slabs over the pea
gravel but under the topsoil would be a good idea to spread the load.
--
Cheers,
Set Square