Mungo Henning

Default WTB: translucent corrugated plastic for car-port roof

Hi Folks,
Emmm, the (too) long Subject covers it all: does anyone know or
have experience of buying corrugated plastic sheeting for a
new car-port roof?

Some web sites state "thick" or "thin", but these relative terms
ain't of much use to an ignoramus like me!

And what about fixing centres?
My new car port will be three metres wide by six metres long.

Since the car port is close to a house window, I fancy using
some sort of translucent/transparent sheet material to keep the
light level up.

Advice requested please; thanks in advance

Mungo Henning
geoff

In message , Mungo
Henning writes
Hi Folks,
Emmm, the (too) long Subject covers it all: does anyone know or
have experience of buying corrugated plastic sheeting for a
new car-port roof?

Some web sites state "thick" or "thin", but these relative terms
ain't of much use to an ignoramus like me!

And what about fixing centres?
My new car port will be three metres wide by six metres long.

Since the car port is close to a house window, I fancy using
some sort of translucent/transparent sheet material to keep the
light level up.

Advice requested please; thanks in advance

If I were you, I'd go for twinwall or something like that. Corrugated
sheets have a life of about 5 years and start to go brown and brittle.
--
geoff
Mungo Henning

Hi Geoff,
Ta for the reply.

geoff wrote in message
If I were you, I'd go for twinwall or something like that. Corrugated
sheets have a life of about 5 years and start to go brown and brittle.

What's the life of twinwall in comparison then?

How easy is it to lap-joint these panels (the corrugated panels will
nicely self-register due to the wave profile)?

Ta again

Mungo
geoff

In message , Mungo
Henning writes
Hi Geoff,
Ta for the reply.

geoff wrote in message
If I were you, I'd go for twinwall or something like that. Corrugated
sheets have a life of about 5 years and start to go brown and brittle.

What's the life of twinwall in comparison then?

Well I've just replaced my old corrugated roof on the extension which
lasted about 5 years. The twinwall I bought is guaranteed for 10 years

How easy is it to lap-joint these panels (the corrugated panels will
nicely self-register due to the wave profile)?

Slightly different principle here. You have an inverted "T" from
aluminium which butts up to the two pieces you are joining. There is
then a mushroom shaped top which slots into the "T" with barbs. You can
buy the stuff in 6 metre lengths, so there is no need to overlap down
the length. I bought mine from PolyPlastics in Enfield (which is where
Screwfix buy it from (I think)), but there must be other distributors
oop norf. I'll take some photos over the weekend for you.

Ta again

Mungo

--
geoff
Mungo Henning

Ta again Geoff,

geoff wrote in message ...
Slightly different principle here. You have an inverted "T" from
aluminium which butts up to the two pieces you are joining. There is
then a mushroom shaped top which slots into the "T" with barbs. You can
buy the stuff in 6 metre lengths, so there is no need to overlap down
the length.

Since I want to drain the rainwater down to the end of the carport, I'd
guess that a 6 metre length would be the way to go (presuming I can get
the twinwall in 6 metre length)?

I bought mine from PolyPlastics in Enfield (which is where
Screwfix buy it from (I think)), but there must be other distributors
oop norf.

Any non-obvious web-site you know of that Google doesn't (I will look,
I haven't yet :-) ?

I'll take some photos over the weekend for you.

Appreciated; thanks.

Mungo
Tony Bryer

In article ,
Michael McNeil wrote:
I think the box section acetate stuff is the same as the
material used in crash helmets and is bullet proof to some
extent.

Polycarbonate not acetate. Hopefully the bullet resistance is
not of importance to the OP g

A problem with poor fitting practice is creepy crawlies. So
always get the end barriers and use them.

You need to seal them with silicon: the problem my mum found
(too late) is that if the cavities are not airtight you get
condensation which then leads to unsightly mould growth

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

geoff

In message , Mungo
Henning writes
Ta again Geoff,

geoff wrote in message
Slightly different principle here. You have an inverted "T" from
aluminium which butts up to the two pieces you are joining. There is
then a mushroom shaped top which slots into the "T" with barbs. You can
buy the stuff in 6 metre lengths, so there is no need to overlap down
the length.

Since I want to drain the rainwater down to the end of the carport, I'd
guess that a 6 metre length would be the way to go (presuming I can get
the twinwall in 6 metre length)?

Yes, I bought two 6 metre lengths butted together