Pete

Default legality of gas plumbing?

Does anybody know if it's legal - or if it affects house insurance -
to plumb in your own gas hob? Or does it have to be done by a Corgi
man?
Christian McArdle

Does anybody know if it's legal - or if it affects house insurance -
to plumb in your own gas hob? Or does it have to be done by a Corgi
man?

The general opinion seems to be that it can be done legally by the homeowner
in many circumstances. However, there are some caveats.

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection, pressure testing etc. must be understood and correctly performed
to the standards expected of a CORGI registered fitter.

2. The house must not be rented out.

3. Rules (such as whether using flexible hoses is acceptable or not) must be
followed.

4. No payment of any kind can be made.

Christian.

Doctor Evil

"Pete" wrote in message

Does anybody know if it's legal - or if it affects house insurance -
to plumb in your own gas hob? Or does it have to be done by a Corgi
man?

Already a thread on this. Do a find on corgi. You can do it.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:04:37 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles
RichardS

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Does anybody know if it's legal - or if it affects house insurance -
to plumb in your own gas hob? Or does it have to be done by a Corgi
man?

The general opinion seems to be that it can be done legally by the
homeowner
in many circumstances. However, there are some caveats.

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection, pressure testing etc. must be understood and correctly
performed
to the standards expected of a CORGI registered fitter.

2. The house must not be rented out.

3. Rules (such as whether using flexible hoses is acceptable or not) must
be
followed.

4. No payment of any kind can be made.

Add to that a general point - it's a bit of a grey area (and implicitly
recognised as such by CORG1 if you read their warnings carefully - last time
I read it their wording was definitly designed to give the impression that
doing your own gas work is illegal, but they don't actually state it). If
something were to go catastrophically wrong (if for instance the hob
developed a non-fail safe fault that led to loss of life or serious injury)
you might find yourself in the uncomfortable spotlight of an investigation.

In other words, you need to be beyond reproach in your execution of the
job - I would argue that in this context "competence" extends to
understanding of the regs & issues; planning; due regard to such things as
siting, ventilation, test requirements, etc; workmanship; and procedure. It
might be a good idea to record all the tests performed & their results.

There is a website (think it's somewhere on the HSE site) that lists
prosecutions for illegal gas work - I read as many of these as I could stand
a while ago, and did not find a single prosecution for a householder
carrying out their own gas work. They were all either unregistered workmen
carrying out gas-work (explicitly not allowed) or gross incompetence in gas
fitting.

As for the insurance aspect, there's only really one answer - get the policy
terms & conditions and read them very, very carefully, especially any
catch-all clauses.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

s--p--o--n--i--x

wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles

Wrong. You don't use neat liquid, you a soap solution of water/liquid.

Try neat fairly liquid and see what happens.
John Rumm

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles

Wrong. You don't use neat liquid, you a soap solution of water/liquid.

Try neat fairly liquid and see what happens.

Note that many detergents contain salt and can be corrosive, so if using
one make sure you wash it off after.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles

Wrong. You don't use neat liquid, you a soap solution of water/liquid.

Try neat fairly liquid and see what happens.

Note that many detergents contain salt and can be corrosive, so if using
one make sure you wash it off after.

Gas leak detector spray works much better too. It has a nice
capilliary action into the joint and then grows much clearer
frothy clumps of cuckcoo spit if there's a leak. Doesn't leave
any marks if you manage to spray it on the wall, drip it on
the floor, etc. LD-90 is one make I use which the local builders
merchant stocks.

--
Andrew Gabriel
RichardS

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Legally you have to be competant. Your insurer will be more than unhappy
if they find out.

If they haven't specifically excluded it (or caught it with a rather more
general clause) then pretty much sod all they can do about it.

Might not stop them trying, though.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Ian_m

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
RichardS wrote:

If something were to go catastrophically wrong (if for instance the hob
developed a non-fail safe fault that led to loss of life or serious
injury) you might find yourself in the uncomfortable spotlight of an
investigation.

Like Sinbad on Brookside a few years back when the cooker he plumbed in
exploded catastophically then. I think he might have gone to prison for a
few months..... or was that for burying somone under the patio....

Sinbad sold the cooker from his shop, 2nd hand, to Ron who had a fit about
the £50 installation fee and misinstalled the cooker himself, after
wrestling the flexible gas pipe from Sinbad who refused to supply it if I
remember correctly.

Ed Sirett

wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles

I have not taken the attitude that d-i-y should be totally outlawed. I
have tried to provide some information which might help people who are
already highly experienced general plumbers about gas fitting, although I
stress that work must e done competently.

I take the view information is to be preferred to ignorance. I receive
emails thanking me for the Gas Fitting FAQ and others telling me something
along the lines of "I'm endangering people by giving them knowledge which
they will misuse."

However some things I'm sure of.
a) Proper leak testing is done _before_ and after work on a gas
installation.
b) leaking joints are found using soft soap solution or
approved lead detection fluid.

Fairly liquid can be corrosive once it dries and becomes more concentrated.

Owain

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Like Sinbad on Brookside a few years back when the cooker he plumbed in
exploded catastophically then. I think he might have gone to prison for
a few months..... or was that for burying somone under the patio....

Yebbut if you plumb it in *downstream* of the meter it's safer.

Just not as economical to run.

Owain

Dave

wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles

The problem with doing this is that the leak may be greater that the
liquid's ability to create a bubble. I suffered this problem looking for
oxygen leaks in the cockpit of aircraft.

A better way to check for leaks is to use a brush and make a collar of
small bubbles around the whole length of the joint. If you can make a
full 360 degree collar then you can see if any of the bubbles begin to
grow. The use of a mirror and lots of patience helps in proving that
there is no leak. If you fail to make a 360 degree collar, then you have
a big leak.

HTH

Dave