Ed Sirett

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:33:51 +0000, s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:04:37 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

1. You must be competent. This means that things like jointing pipe, leak
detection,

Squirt copiuos amounts of fairly liquid around the joints and wait for
the bubbles

I have not taken the attitude that d-i-y should be totally outlawed. I
have tried to provide some information which might help people who are
already highly experienced general plumbers about gas fitting, although I
stress that work must e done competently.

I take the view information is to be preferred to ignorance. I receive
emails thanking me for the Gas Fitting FAQ and others telling me something
along the lines of "I'm endangering people by giving them knowledge which
they will misuse."

However some things I'm sure of.
a) Proper leak testing is done _before_ and after work on a gas
installation.
b) leaking joints are found using soft soap solution or
approved lead detection fluid.

Fairly liquid can be corrosive once it dries and becomes more concentrated.