Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mike

Default Plumbing and Electric Code Books

I'm comfortable doing plumbing and electric repairs, but know only the
basics of "code."

Any recommendations for books explaining codes for residential plumbing
and electric?

I've been looking online because there's nothing in the local stores
beyond the basic how-to's. "Audel's Guide to the 2005 NEC" looks like
it might be helpful. For plumbing, I was looking at "2003 International
Plumbing Codes Handbook" by R. Dodge Woodson.

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks,
*moc

Aha, a fellow tinkerer !

I think the actual Code Books are available only to contractors, which
is frustrating. They are not very interesting to read, I've seen the
electrical ones.

However it is possible to get all the info you need from consumer books
and the web if you work at it. Best bet is the main branch of a large
library.

The big thing that homeowners, even the handy ones, miss out on is
changes. It used to be legal and not uncommon to run 12 gauge wire for
a distance run, then break off 14 gauge runs to the outlets. This
seemed logical if you were running wiring to an addition or workshop or
whatever. I *think* this is a no-no now, it has to be 12 gauge all the
way.

For the trickier things like 4-way switches and wiring 220 for a dryer
I always check my books and make sure and check online too, things like
dryers you're better off thinking 5 times - check 4 times, wire once.

Can't remember what my electrical book is called, it's in a box
somewhere.

mike wrote:
I'm comfortable doing plumbing and electric repairs, but know only

the
basics of "code."

Any recommendations for books explaining codes for residential

plumbing
and electric?

I've been looking online because there's nothing in the local stores
beyond the basic how-to's. "Audel's Guide to the 2005 NEC" looks

like
it might be helpful. For plumbing, I was looking at "2003

International
Plumbing Codes Handbook" by R. Dodge Woodson.

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks,
*moc

Doug Miller

In article .com, wrote:
Aha, a fellow tinkerer !

I think the actual Code Books are available only to contractors, which
is frustrating. They are not very interesting to read, I've seen the
electrical ones.

Nah, you can buy the National Electrical Code on-line from the NFPA
(
www.nfpa.org), and in most bookstores.

You wouldn't want to buy the plumbing code, though, unless you can get it on
CD. Go to a library and have a look at it. It's massive.

However it is possible to get all the info you need from consumer books
and the web if you work at it. Best bet is the main branch of a large
library.

Yep.

The big thing that homeowners, even the handy ones, miss out on is
changes. It used to be legal and not uncommon to run 12 gauge wire for
a distance run, then break off 14 gauge runs to the outlets.

I don't think that was ever permitted by the NEC on a 20A circuit.

This
seemed logical if you were running wiring to an addition or workshop or
whatever. I *think* this is a no-no now, it has to be 12 gauge all the
way.

12-ga all the way on a 20A circuit. No prohibition on mixing 12 and 14 in a
15A circuit.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , mike wrote:
I'm comfortable doing plumbing and electric repairs, but know only the
basics of "code."

Any recommendations for books explaining codes for residential plumbing
and electric?

The McGraw-Hill "National Electrical Code Handbook" is good. So is "Plumbing
for Dummies" (*not* part of the recent "... for Dummies" series from, IIRC,
Prentice-Hall, this book was first published more than 20 years ago).

I've been looking online because there's nothing in the local stores
beyond the basic how-to's. "Audel's Guide to the 2005 NEC" looks like
it might be helpful. For plumbing, I was looking at "2003 International
Plumbing Codes Handbook" by R. Dodge Woodson.

Opinions or suggestions?

I'm not familiar with either of those books, but places like Home Depot and
Lowes have a good selection of books that are quite good.

--
Regards,

You also need to research local mods to the national code.
Albany NY forbids plastic water pipe altho the national code
allows it. Coincidentally, leaders in the party that has run
this city since the 1920s are building trade union members.

My experience is that the electrical code is easy to read, and
actually makes sense. E.g., you have to attach a wire going
into a junction box, outside and near the box. Reasonable.
However, if you can't easily do that because you're adding the
box to an existing wire in a wall, then you don't need to open
another hole in the wall just to attach the wire. Very
reasonable.