Aha, a fellow tinkerer !

I think the actual Code Books are available only to contractors, which
is frustrating. They are not very interesting to read, I've seen the
electrical ones.

However it is possible to get all the info you need from consumer books
and the web if you work at it. Best bet is the main branch of a large
library.

The big thing that homeowners, even the handy ones, miss out on is
changes. It used to be legal and not uncommon to run 12 gauge wire for
a distance run, then break off 14 gauge runs to the outlets. This
seemed logical if you were running wiring to an addition or workshop or
whatever. I *think* this is a no-no now, it has to be 12 gauge all the
way.

For the trickier things like 4-way switches and wiring 220 for a dryer
I always check my books and make sure and check online too, things like
dryers you're better off thinking 5 times - check 4 times, wire once.

Can't remember what my electrical book is called, it's in a box
somewhere.

mike wrote:
I'm comfortable doing plumbing and electric repairs, but know only

the
basics of "code."

Any recommendations for books explaining codes for residential

plumbing
and electric?

I've been looking online because there's nothing in the local stores
beyond the basic how-to's. "Audel's Guide to the 2005 NEC" looks

like
it might be helpful. For plumbing, I was looking at "2003

International
Plumbing Codes Handbook" by R. Dodge Woodson.

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks,
*moc