Default Plasterboarding Stud Wall

Just about to start plaster boarding my new stud wall. I have the non
tapered edge plasterboard. Do I just butt the sheets up against each
other and scrim tape over the joints in preperation for skimming?

TIA

Richard

Thanks again!

One more thing:

Where I have made the stud wall I had to rip down all the old lath and
plaster from the ceiling where the head plate went and around it. It
was in terrible condition big cracks blown and just waiting to drop on
my head, In fact most of my upstairs is like that. I plan to just
plasterboard over in other rooms after looking like a chimney sweep for
a couple of days!

The problem I have now is that one part of the new stud wall is running
parallel with the ceiling joists. When I come to plasterboard the
ceiling I'm worried that there will be nowhere to screw the
plasterboard edge too, the nearest joist that I can screw to is about
350mm away. Will this provide enought rigidity? (if thats a word)
failing that should I attach a strip of wood to the head plate which I
can screw into through the plasterboard, or could I just leave a gap
around the top when I board the walls which will allow the ceiling
plasterboard to rest on the edge. The run where I have this problem is
not that long, about 4ft.

What to do?

TIA

Cheers

Richard

I like to do things the hard way........

Thanks guys for all your help, made some good progress today. I have
plumbing in place for my extended ensuite and cladded one side of the
stud extension, this DIY lark is a doddle when you know how

Gonna have a few beers now and put me feet up for once

Cheers

Richard

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just about to start plaster boarding my new stud wall. I have the non
tapered edge plasterboard. Do I just butt the sheets up against each
other and scrim tape over the joints in preperation for skimming?

I always leave a 1/4" gap and fill with plasterboard adhesive. Never
cracks.

David Lang

Just about to start plaster boarding my new stud wall. I have the non
tapered edge plasterboard. Do I just butt the sheets up against each
other and scrim tape over the joints in preperation for skimming?

I've often wondered what exactly the term 'dry lining' means, Do you fix
the plasterboard then skim over with a thin coat of plaster or just fix and
fill screw holes/gaps etc?

Dave

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"David Lang" writes:
Just about to start plaster boarding my new stud wall. I have the non
tapered edge plasterboard. Do I just butt the sheets up against each
other and scrim tape over the joints in preperation for skimming?

I've often wondered what exactly the term 'dry lining' means, Do you fix
the plasterboard then skim over with a thin coat of plaster or just fix and
fill screw holes/gaps etc?

I suspect it originally meant lining a room without using wet trades
(i.e. no plastering). I suspect nowadays, it is also used when you are
intending to skim the plasterboard.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Lurch

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 10:44:30 GMT, "David Lang"
strung together this:

I've often wondered what exactly the term 'dry lining' means, Do you fix
the plasterboard then skim over with a thin coat of plaster or just fix and
fill screw holes/gaps etc?

Dry lining is when you 'glue' sheets of plasterboard to a brick\block
wall and skim over it rather than the other methiod of wet plastering
which is to a apply a bonding coat of some sort and then skim over
that.

Dry lining is a lot cheaper, quicker and easier than the traditional
wet plastering method for all trades involved.
--

SJW