Barnsey

Default FENCE POST CONCRETE MIX

Could i have some recommendations for the perfect mix of ballast to
cement. This will be for timber fence posts into soil.

Christian McArdle

Could i have some recommendations for the perfect mix of ballast to
cement. This will be for timber fence posts into soil.

I just use postfix bags. All premixed, just pour into the hole and follow
with a bucket of water. I don't bury posts directly, though. I stick a
special concrete in metpost to hold the timber above ground and delay the
rot.

Christian.

Barnsey

Thanks for that. One reason i wanted to mix myself was to reduce the
cost. I've got a lot of posts to do.

Mike Halmarack

On 31 May 2005 09:04:29 -0700, "Barnsey"
wrote:

Thanks for that. One reason i wanted to mix myself was to reduce the
cost. I've got a lot of posts to do.

I use the metpost method as already described. The concrete-in ones
are sometimes not available, so I stand the pointy ones on their heads
and make angled cuts into the metal of the spike with an angle
grinder. Then I bend these newly made fins to a horizontal position.
They combine with concrete really well then.

When I've dug out old, concreted-in wooden posts in the past, I've
always been glad when the concrete mix used has been really weak on
cement. It's a great relief when the concrete casing disintegrates
into fine rubble with just a couple of blows.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Christian McArdle

Thanks for that. One reason i wanted to mix myself was to reduce the
cost. I've got a lot of posts to do.

How many posts? I've never found Postfix to be particularly expensive. It is
also very quick and easy, which could be very useful on a big job. There's
no measuring to be done, no mixers required.

Christian.

Rick

On 31 May 2005 08:52:48 -0700, "Barnsey"
wrote:

Could i have some recommendations for the perfect mix of ballast to
cement. This will be for timber fence posts into soil.

You don't actually need concrete.

A few weeks back a guy came and fenced some fields neer me, he dug the
holes with a long crowbar, and by hand, he put in the post, and them
packed what came out back in. These were the coner posts, the middle
ones he just knocked in with a maul.

We do have very stone dirt though.

Rick

raden

In message .com,
Barnsey writes
Thanks for that. One reason i wanted to mix myself was to reduce the
cost. I've got a lot of posts to do.

Then think about the time you'd save then

--
geoff