Tim Jenkins

Default Fixing a gate to a concrete post

Hello,

I'm thinking of building a closeboard fence to divide the front garden from
the side garden and I need to put a gate somewhere along the run.

I was planning on using Slotted conrete posts, gravel boards etc - but how
do you fasten a wooden gate to a conrete post ???

Cheers in advance,
Tim.

John Jardine

Tim Jenkins wrote in message
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a closeboard fence to divide the front garden

from
the side garden and I need to put a gate somewhere along the run.

I was planning on using Slotted conrete posts, gravel boards etc - but how
do you fasten a wooden gate to a conrete post ???

Cheers in advance,
Tim.

Attack the post with a masonary drill. Affix the gate timbers using normal
Plasplugs and screws etc.
The big problem is not allowing the drill to hit the steel (usually 1/4")
reinforcing wires that run through the post from top to bottom. There's
usually about 4 of them spaced equally.
Best to try drilling a test hole or two, to make sure you're to one side of
the rebars.
Aim towards the centre of the post, to avoid the concrete 'spalling' if
screwing too near to the edge.
regards
john

alex

It is normal for concrete posts to be precast with bolt holes for the
purpose of hanging a gate,or for just gate posts use concrete spurs and bolt
oak posts to them for gate.I would have thought you could get this info from
a supplier

Roger Mills

Tim Jenkins wrote in message
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a closeboard fence to divide the front garden

from
the side garden and I need to put a gate somewhere along the run.

I was planning on using Slotted conrete posts, gravel boards etc - but how
do you fasten a wooden gate to a conrete post ???

Cheers in advance,
Tim.

Use farm-gate-type hinges - where the hinge pin is L-shaped, with the
threaded horizontal part passing through the gate post (you'll have to drill
suitable holes with an SDS drill) and held in place by a nut.

Roger