Walter R.

Default Fence Post Repair

I have a 4' tall chainlink fence held up by 20 wooden fenceposts. The
chainlink is as good as new. The 4x4 wooden posts are set in concrete. They
are about 20 years old and many, especially in damp areas, have rotted
through just above the concrete footing.

I have bought a bunch of heavy duty metal fenceposts at the HD. They are 6'
tall and have a "spade" at the bottom. They have nail holes so they could be
nailed to the upper part of the wooden posts.

The problem is how to get them 2' into the ground next to the old fencepost.
The concrete footing is in the way. I have tried a sledge hammer but can't
get them in.

Anybody know how to cope with wooden fenceposts that are rotted out at the
base??

Thanks

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
-

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Walter R -
[...]

- Nehmo -
You can't hammer the metal posts into the concrete. You need to replace
the fence. But if you want to shore the existing posts up as a sloppy
temporary measure, hammer your metal posts, one on each side of each
rotten wood post, into the ground perpendicular to the run of the fence
and diagonally to the vertical. Screw the diagonal posts to the existing
rotten posts.

Another way is to pound your metal posts vertically into the ground
mid-way between the old posts. Attach the chain link to the new posts.
It'll help.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

Cut off the wood posts, and clean out the remaining wood inside the
concrete, drop the new post into the existing hole and fill the rest of the
hole back up with more concrete (assuming your new posts have a smaller
diameter than the old wood posts)

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

Bob S.

Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Break or cut off all the wooden posts-they're not worth saving. Drive
your new posts a couple of inches to the side of the concrete. If you
like the look of the wood posts, swap your metal ones for wood and put
them in the same place you would have drove the metal ones.
Bob S.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:26:26 -0500
"JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk" posted:

Cut off the wood posts, and clean out the remaining wood inside the
concrete, drop the new post into the existing hole and fill the rest of the
hole back up with more concrete (assuming your new posts have a smaller
diameter than the old wood posts)

This is a good suggestion, as are the others, but in this case, I
would start with one post (before cutting off the others) and see how
hard it is to clean out the remaining wood. It might be rotten or it
might be sound, and iiuc it might go two feet into the ground (or
more?) I haven't tried to clean out an old post, but a lot of things
I have tried to clean out have been a lot of work (drilling holes,
hammering, chiseling, etc.)

The remaining posts might be easier and/or harder than the first one
one tries.

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

7ft slotted concrete fence post? Richard UK diy 2 May 20th 04 09:55 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Post size for Stickley chest/dresser Eric Anderson Woodworking 2 October 1st 03 10:32 PM
What is the best 4 x 4 Fence Post to Use? Michael Home Repair 8 July 9th 03 04:12 AM
fence installation tips needed (3-rail post & rail and wire mesh) Bring out the Gimp Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 12:47 AM