Jim S

Default Selling house and central heating.

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

The house is in worcestershire, 1975, 2 bedrooms,bathroom, one lounge,
kitchen and hall, semi detached. The existing 2 year old boiler would have
to be replaced but could stay in its existing position. There is one bath
and an electric shower.

The house otherwise is well presented and we have just had a new kitchen
installed?

Many thanks

Peter Crosland

" 1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

Ask a couple of local estate agents to tell you how much the addition of CH
would make to the price.

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

Ask some local companies for quotes.

Do the maths and decide.

Peter Crosland

Rick

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:46:58 GMT, "Jim S"
wrote:

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

The house is in worcestershire, 1975, 2 bedrooms,bathroom, one lounge,
kitchen and hall, semi detached. The existing 2 year old boiler would have
to be replaced but could stay in its existing position. There is one bath
and an electric shower.

The house otherwise is well presented and we have just had a new kitchen
installed?

Many thanks

I suggest you ask the estate agents, the ones round my way are happy
to give some advice on what will be more sellable.

Rick

Anna Kettle

wrote:

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

There is a retired estate agent in the group who will give good
advice. Meanwhile my twopennorth is that I would leave the house as it
is so the new owner has the hassle of finding a heating installer,
redecorating etc. Put the house on the market at a price that assumes
it has central heating and let the buyer be dead chuffed when he beats
you down

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
The Natural Philosopher

Jim S wrote:

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

The house is in worcestershire, 1975, 2 bedrooms,bathroom, one lounge,
kitchen and hall, semi detached. The existing 2 year old boiler would have
to be replaced but could stay in its existing position. There is one bath
and an electric shower.

The house otherwise is well presented and we have just had a new kitchen
installed?

Many thanks

I would most certainly reather have a house with no CH than one with a
cheap and nasty system for which I was being charged a few grand more.

That way its my choice what I put in..

BUT ask you estate agent.

If its the sort of 'move into it right away' type place, then
modernising it will make it very saleable. In fact it wants to all LOOK
new - thats what first time buyers want.

tony sayer

I would most certainly reather have a house with no CH than one with a
cheap and nasty system for which I was being charged a few grand more.

That way its my choice what I put in..

BUT ask you estate agent.

If its the sort of 'move into it right away' type place, then
modernising it will make it very saleable. In fact it wants to all LOOK
new - thats what first time buyers want.

Quite.. With very rare exception this is what people want these days
they don't have imagination anymore.

Perhaps there're out working all hours to pay the mortgage!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main
worrying concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a
boiler for the hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate
of costs.

I'd say it depends on the type of house. If one suitable for first time
buyers, then it might make sense to make it ready to just move in. If it's
up the chain a bit, many buying might prefer a house sound in wind and
limb that they can customise to exactly what they want.

Next door was sold recently. I'd have described it as suitable to just
move in - good clean decoration and all fittings etc recent. But the
buyers have ripped near everything out - including a three year old
bathroom suite and kitchen and started again. Not sure about the central
heating - the last owners complained about poor hot water from their combi.
And I complained about the noise of the pump which came straight through
the party wall. ;-)

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:08:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Next door was sold recently. I'd have described it as suitable to just
move in - good clean decoration and all fittings etc recent. But the
buyers have ripped near everything out - including a three year old
bathroom suite and kitchen and started again. Not sure about the central
heating - the last owners complained about poor hot water from their combi.
And I complained about the noise of the pump which came straight through
the party wall. ;-)

Perhaps it's because there are two combis and in reality you are
living next door to........

(sort of like Quatermass and the Pit)....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

mark d

wrote:

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

Selling in the winter sans heating will put buyers off more than you
can imagine having got used to it, but in 2 months it will be still be
summer so I'd at least try at a realistic price and hopefully it'll
sell quickly because of the modern decoration.

I got my current house with 28k knocked off original asking price
after it had been up for sale all winter with faulty heating / no
insulation. Around here buyers like there houses warm.

Richard Faulkner

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
wrote:

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

There is a retired estate agent in the group who will give good advice.

Do you mean me?? g

Firstly, it is impossible to value a house to within the range of the
cost of central heating, i.e. to within £3,000/£4,000, so you will never
know if you got more because of the heating, or less because of the
lack.

In general:

more people want central heating than dont
Some people are happy, or even prefer, to fit their own.
Some people will not buy without central heating.

On the whole, I would suggest that a house with C/H is more saleable
and, in the softening market, it may be sensible to fit it.

Not sure if this is good advice - more of a waffle around the subject

Richard Faulkner
The Natural Philosopher

Richard Faulkner wrote:

In message , Anna Kettle
writes

wrote:

[...]

Not sure if this is good advice - more of a waffle around the subject g

Thts te hanswer. Foit the cheapest crappo combi you can. so its just
liveable in,. in the knowledge that anyone with any sense will rip it
ouit and install something decent anyway.

In te same vein as paintng the whole house magnolia, not because anyone
likes it, but becaus it just makes it look 'cared for'
Anna Kettle

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:48:55 +0100, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

In message , Anna Kettle
writes
wrote:

Hi,

I am going to sell my house in a couple of months time and may main worrying
concern is that we have no central heating installed. Just a boiler for the
hot water.

So my questions to the group a

1. Do I sell the house as it is and expect a slightly lower price?

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate of
costs.

There is a retired estate agent in the group who will give good advice.

Do you mean me?? g

Oh hi! Yes

Anna

Firstly, it is impossible to value a house to within the range of the
cost of central heating, i.e. to within £3,000/£4,000, so you will never
know if you got more because of the heating, or less because of the
lack.

In general:

more people want central heating than dont
Some people are happy, or even prefer, to fit their own.
Some people will not buy without central heating.

On the whole, I would suggest that a house with C/H is more saleable
and, in the softening market, it may be sensible to fit it.

Not sure if this is good advice - more of a waffle around the subject

Richard Faulkner

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Les Desser

In article , Jim S
Sun, 29 May 2005 17:46:58 writes

2. If I do need to have the system then what would be a rough estimate
of costs.

Consider that besides the cost of installation you have to allow for
making-good and re-decorating.

Unless you want all pipes to be surface run, these costs may be quite
significant.

My own inclination would be to leave well alone. If you do the job well
it is unlikely that you will recover your costs - you may just get a
quicker sale. If you do it badly you may actually decrease your chances
of a sale.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
RichardS

"tony sayer" wrote in message
I would most certainly reather have a house with no CH than one with a
cheap and nasty system for which I was being charged a few grand more.

That way its my choice what I put in..

BUT ask you estate agent.

If its the sort of 'move into it right away' type place, then
modernising it will make it very saleable. In fact it wants to all LOOK
new - thats what first time buyers want.

Quite.. With very rare exception this is what people want these days
they don't have imagination anymore.

Perhaps there're out working all hours to pay the mortgage!.....

Or just as likely, in our society with the increasing "cult of the
professional" (and an ever-increasing number of laws to back this trend up),
the vast majority of people have just not learned the basic skills that they
require to perform even basic maintenance of a property.

For a lot of people I know, the only tool they are likely to pick up is the
telephone. It's a bit worrying, really.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Complicated central Heating; Back-Boiler and Combi-Boiler tfc715 UK diy 1 February 3rd 05 05:30 PM
Old "Electric" House, wanting new heating system bschott Home Repair 7 October 29th 04 04:30 AM
Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings Dermot O'Loughlin UK diy 46 May 12th 04 11:40 PM
Central Heating checks - unoccupied house Rockydell UK diy 5 March 23rd 04 11:09 PM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM