Default Carpet fitter damaged new carpet

I bought a light carpet a few days ago and it got fitted today. I
noticed a couple of relatively small marks on it as it was being
fitted, but because it was reminent and I got a reasonably good deal on
it (=A3170), I thought I would just be able to clean it. However, after
the fitter had gone, and under a different light, I noticed loads of
other marks that appear to have been made from his shoes. Now the
whole carpet looks dirty and ruined, and needs a professional clean.

What's my situation here? Can I claim the cleaning costs, and from the
fitter or the shop?=20

Many thanks.=20

Mike

Sparks

I bought a light carpet a few days ago and it got fitted today. I
noticed a couple of relatively small marks on it as it was being
fitted, but because it was reminent and I got a reasonably good deal
on it (£170), I thought I would just be able to clean it. However,
after the fitter had gone, and under a different light, I noticed
loads of other marks that appear to have been made from his shoes.
Now the whole carpet looks dirty and ruined, and needs a professional
clean.

What's my situation here? Can I claim the cleaning costs, and from
the fitter or the shop?

Did you get the fitter to lay the carpet, or was it all dealt wit by the
shop you bought it from?

If you paid all the money to the shop, then it will be down to the shop,
irrespective of whether it was already on the carpet before fitting, or the
fitter damaged it.
If you bought the carpet and got a fitter to lay it independently, then you
need to make sure you accuse the correct person!

Sparks...

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a light carpet a few days ago and it got fitted today. I
noticed a couple of relatively small marks on it as it was being
fitted, but because it was reminent and I got a reasonably good deal on
it (£170), I thought I would just be able to clean it. However, after
the fitter had gone, and under a different light, I noticed loads of
other marks that appear to have been made from his shoes. Now the
whole carpet looks dirty and ruined, and needs a professional clean.

What's my situation here? Can I claim the cleaning costs, and from the
fitter or the shop?

Many thanks.

Mike

Have you tried a vacuum cleaner or brush on it?

Did you get the fitter to lay the carpet, or was it all dealt wit by
the shop you bought it from?

It was all dealt with by the shop. Paid my money to the shop (very
well known chain) and they got their own (possibly independent, local)
carpet fitter.

The only reason I ask, is a couple of weeks ago my partner's mum had
the exact same problem, and the shop (another well known chain) told
her she had to take it up with the fitters, which I found unbelievable.

Thanks for your reply. Will give it a go tomorrow, but want to make
sure I'm properly armed

Mike

Have you tried a vacuum cleaner or brush on it?

Yes, but it makes no difference.

Sparks

Did you get the fitter to lay the carpet, or was it all dealt wit by
the shop you bought it from?

It was all dealt with by the shop. Paid my money to the shop (very
well known chain) and they got their own (possibly independent, local)
carpet fitter.

The only reason I ask, is a couple of weeks ago my partner's mum had
the exact same problem, and the shop (another well known chain) told
her she had to take it up with the fitters, which I found
unbelievable.

They were fobbing him off then :-)

Your (his) contract was with the shop, the shop sub-contacted someone to fit
the carpet, this is nothing to do with you. the shop is the one that needs
to redress the situation.

To get the low-down, from the horses mouth, so to speak, give trading
standards a call
www.tradingstandards.gov.uk will give you your local office number

Speak to the shop before getting the carpet cleaned, you need to give them
the opportunity to resolve the problem.

Don't go into the shop, effin and blindin, this will not help in the
slightest!
Just calmly go in, ask to speak to the manager (and don't throw a stop when
the assistant asks why!)

Keep calm throughout the conversations, even if they refuse to do anything,
just say you will be speaking to trading standards about it, and calmly go
to walk out the shop.
My money will be on them stopping you walk out, offering to sort it out.

Throwing a strop in the shop *may* make you feel better, but it is not
really going to achieve much (well, unless the shop is packed with potential
shoppers anyway!

If they still don't want to know, just give you local trading standards a
call - they offer free advise (well, you are paying for them in your council
tax, so you may as well use them!

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

Sparks...

Your (his) contract was with the shop, the shop sub-contacted someone

to fit the carpet, this is nothing to do with you. the shop is the one
that needs to redress the situation.

That's what I thought.

[snip]
If they still don't want to know, just give you local trading

standards a call - they offer free advise (well, you are paying for
them in your council tax, so you may as well use them!

Yes, will def need to calm down before tom

Thanks for your adivce

Mike

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...

Have you tried a vacuum cleaner or brush on it?

Yes, but it makes no difference.

Then contact the shop and tell them you want it cleaned, and now. You paid
money for it, and they contracted the fitter, so they're responsible for the
actions of supplying goods fit for their purpose. It probably was, well, it
sounds, like an accident on the part of the fitter who didn't notice crap on his
shoes. But it is also his, and the shops, responsibility to remedy the
accident. So, phone first thing and let them deal with it.

Just thought I'd give an update.

Cut a long story short, the shop was very apologetic and sent a
cleaning company out for assessment. Would cost too much to clean so
they are replacing the carpet next week

Mike

Cut a long story short, the shop was very apologetic and sent a
cleaning company out for assessment. Would cost too much to clean so
they are replacing the carpet next week

Mike

Glad you got it sorted.
But everytime I have had carpet laid, the fitters always bring a pair
of light slip-on shoes or slippers which they change into when inside
the house.

Bruce

Will def suggest they take their shoes off next week

Mike

Nope, just simply told them what the problem was and they were happy to
sort it out.

Mike

No didn't have to get that far

Allied Carpets