raden

In message ws.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

So you would NEED to carry your ID card, just like most people
remember that they need to take their house keys when they go out,

if
they are going to get back un that is.

Not that I can see ID cards solving anything....

I presume you left out a "'t" there

No, I don't think so

Nor do I

And I wasn't even ****ed last night

Sorry I don't have an explanation

--
geoff
raden

In message , Owain
writes
MM wrote:
It's getting so that I am loathe to type the words "child rape in
Essex" into Google for fear that some monitoring busybody somewhere
might immediately jump to attention.

You probably shouldn't type them into a newsgroup posting either :-)

Owain

bomb explosive terrorism gleneagles al quaida detonator missile nuclear
G8 torpedo summit

Fair point to consider is whether Echelon actually works in any way
shape or form ?

kidnap afghanistan bush lindis Percy

--
geoff

These stories are from the much-visited and extremely popular
'Alternatve News' web page at http://www.nwointelligence.com..

We urge you to read and download them while they are available. The
mirror news site, SurvivalistSkills.Com, has been 'blacked out' and we
expect that this site will be knocked off the Web, too, shortly.

We'll endeavour to bring both sites back up on a more secure server,
but - in the meantime - take what you can from the stories and articles
on this 'Current News' page while you can!

You'll also see from them that the National I.D. Card is now a 'done
deal' for Americans, thanks to the recent passge of the RealID.Act.

Welcome to 'police state' America - efficient and remorseless
surveillance and tracking of every single citizen, and databases that
never forget.

They also include a number of fascinating reports on the secretive and
elite Bilderberg group, as well as news reports on the strange and
intriguing connection between Pope Benedict and the Knights
Templars....

You'll find a complete index of these and other essential news stories
on the 'Current News You Need To Know On The Collapse Of The U.S.
Dollar, The Declining U.S. Economy, The Rise Of China, And The New
World Order' page at http://www.nwointelligence.com/newsitem.htm, which
is updated daily.
____________________________

CFR Urges 'Deep Integration' - 'North American Union' Equals 'End Of
America And Canada'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS182.HTM

'US Public Warms to The Idea Of American Civilian Concentration Camps!'
(see photos of existing U.S. civilian camps at the bottom of this
report)
http://www.nwointelligence.com/CAMPCON.HTM

'How Britain Legislated Away 2,000 Years Of Rights And Freedoms'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/LIBUK.HTM

'How Canada Lost Its Rights And Liberties - And Few Cared!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/LIBCAN.HTM

'Immigration - North American Elite Plan To 'Swamp' U.S. And Canada'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS131.HTM

The End Of American And Canadian Sovereignty? 'Goodbye To Independence'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS128.HTM

'Immigration - And The Slow Destruction Of America'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS127.HTM

'The Blueprint For America's Destruction'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS120.HTM

'How Is the United States Being Destroyed?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS118.HTM

Paul Martin: Bilderberg In His Blood? Stephen Harper Attended 2003
Bilderberg
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS116.HTM

'Continental Union of the U.S. and Canada - the propaganda begins'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS11.HTM

'CFR plans to replace the United States and Canada with a new 'North
American Union'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS23.HTM

'JPFO Alert: The End Of America - May 10, 2005'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS177.HTM

'Gun Control and the New World Order'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/nwa.htm

'The Draconian U.K. 'Biometric' I.D. Card - A Model For The U.S.
National Identity Card?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS172.HTM

'RealID Act Passed - Americans Will Soon Hear 'Your Papers, Please!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS178.HT

'U.S. National I.D. Card Now 'A Certainty' - Are Canada And The U.K.
Next?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS166.HTM

'Stargate: The Secret U.S. 'Remote Viewing' Espionage Program'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS170.HTM

'The Echelon Electronic Eavesdropping System: What You Need To Know'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS173.HTM

'The Echelon Global Eavesdropping System - It's Interception
Capabilities'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS175.HTM

Explosive European Parliament 2001 Report - 'The Echelon Global
Eavesdropping System'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS174.HTM

'Global Electronic Eavesdropping - And On You, Too!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS168.HTM

'Free Trade: The Deceptive Corporate Propagandists Promoting FTAA'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS171.HTM

'Globalist Elite Conspire To Destroy Western Culture'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS167.HTM

'Bilderberg Conference: Elite Masters Of The 'New World Order' Global
Plantation Meet'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS165.HTM

'Russian President Putin Laments Death Of The USSR'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS154.HTM

'The Dark Side Of Soviet And Allied War History'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS158.HTM

'Russian 'Super-Capitalist' Billionaire Class Grows'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS153.HTM

'The China Job Drain: Thousands Of American Jobs Are Sent To China
Every Day!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS164.HTM

'The Coming Perfect Financial Storm - And Economic Shipwreck!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS162.HTM

'The Chinese Gulag Is Still Full - Many Prisoners Jailed Without Trial'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS163.HTM

'Russian Bear, Chinese Dragon - U.S. Target'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS156.HTM

'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: China in Cuba'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS159.HTM

'Chinese Communists Move Into Africa, Help Bug Media'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS152.HTM

'China Expands Spy System as Its Military Power Grows, U.S. Says'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS155.HTM

North Korea: Nuclear Test Is 'Indispensable'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS160.HTM

'The CIA And Outsourcing - 'Dark side of outsourcing revealed''
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS161.HTM

'U.S. Media Begins The Push For CAFTA's Passage'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS157.HTM

'More On Pope Benedict, The Vatican, The Knights Templar, And
Freemasonry'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS151.HTM

'2005 Bilderberg Conference: Bilderbergers Nervous About 'Nationalism'
And 'Protectionism'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS150.HTM

The 'Peak Oil 'Crisis: No 'Plan B', Or 'C', Or 'D' - The Coming
Global 'Resource Wars'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS149.HTM

'Oil: Is It About To Peak Or Is It An Endlessly-Renewing Resource?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS147.HTM

'With Oil Production Near Peak, Analysts Worry About Meeting Growing
Demand'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS148.HTM

'The End Of Oil Is Closer Than You Think: Oil Production Could Peak
Next Year'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS146.HTM

'Iraqi Oil War: Big Corporations Make A Killing In Profits'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS144.HTM

'The Council on Foreign Relations ('CFR') and the War on Sovereignty'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS145.HTM

'The Pope, The Vatican, The Knights Templar, And Freemasonry'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS142.HTM

PBS Documentary Reveals Existence Of 'The Secret Government'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS140.HTM

The Depletion Of Global Oil Reserves - 'Over A Barrel'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS141.HTM

'U.S. Public's Support For Iraq War Plummets': 'Dutch Court Refuses To
Arrest Bush'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS139.HTM

'Flood Of Western Wealth And Money To China Becoming A Tidal Wave'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS137.HTM

'Beijing Forges Ties In Africa, Latin America, At The Expense Of U.S'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS138.HTM

'China Dismisses U.S. Proposal For Military Hot Line'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS136.HTM

'China Rattles Arms At U.S. Asia Presence'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS135.HTM

'Russia Secretly Working On New Weapons'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS133.HTM

'Tsunami Bomb' Was Tested Off New Zealand Coast!
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS132.HTM

U.S. Driver's Licenses To Become National ID Cards?
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS134.HTM

'Immigration - North American Elite Plan To 'Swamp' U.S. And Canada'
a href="http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS131.HTM

'Does the Future Belong to China?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS130.HTM

National I.D. On The Way in U.S.? 'Tough Stand Likely on IDs'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS129.HTM

The End Of American And Canadian Sovereignty? 'Goodbye To Independence'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS128.HTM

'The Iraqi Quagmi No End In Sight'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS126.HTM

'Global Tax Almost A Reality'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS123.HTM

'The World Tax Tsunami'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS124.HTM

'Global Taxes Are Back, Watch Your Wallet!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS125.HTM

'Immigration - And The Slow Destruction Of America'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS127.HTM

'The Blueprint For America's Destruction'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS120.HTM

'How Is the United States Being Destroyed?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS118.HTM

'How to Say No to the New World Order'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS117.HTM

Paul Martin: Bilderberg In His Blood? Stephen Harper Attended 2003
Bilderberg
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS116.HTM

Members of the Bilderberg Group - The New Globalist 'Elite'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS121.HTM

The Bilderberg Group: 'Masters Of The Universe'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS115.HTM

The Bilderbergers: 'Power players gather to run the world'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS110.HTM

The Bilderbergers: The BBC on the 'Bilderberg Conspiracy Theory'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS112.HTM

'Banned Newspaper Article On The Bilderbergers'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS1122.HTM

'2005 Secret Bilderberg Conference Venue Found!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS109.HTM

'The Bilderbergers: The 2004 Bilderberg Conference Elite Attendees'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS111.HTM

'Bilderberg, Bohemian Grove, Vatican - Business the Bush Way'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS108.HTM

The 2005 Trilateral Commission Meeting: 'Power pact meets quietly'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS114.HTM

'Media Blackout On Secret 2005 Trilateral Commission Meeting'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS113.HTM

Jim Quinn Interviews John Whitley On 'The New World Order'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/quinn-p.htm

'Brigadier shocks and awes: there is no war on terrorism'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS107.HTM

Waco 'North American Union' US-Canada-Mexico Meeting A 'Failure'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS86.HTM

'Russia-China-India-Brazil Form Coalition Against U.S.'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS119.HTM

'It's Condi Rice Versus Venezuela's Chavez - Chavez Wins First Round'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS92.HTM

China and India: 'Dragon and Elephant warm up to each other'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS91.HTM

'Iran Issues Nuclear Warning To US' - Offers U.S. 'A Punch In The
Mouth'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS90.HTM

'Dereliction of Duty Regarding Iraq' - Scott Ritter
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS89.HTM

'British Military Chief Reveals New Legal Fears Over Iraq War'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS88.HTM

'Regime Change !s Illegal: End Of Debate'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS87.HTM

'Iraq, The Secret US Visit, And An Angry Military Chief'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS85.HTM

The Secret Downing Street Iraq Meeting Memo
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS84.HTM

'Draft U.S. Paper Allows Commanders To Seek Preemptive Nuke Strikes'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS83.HTM

Iraq, Iran, North Korea - The Wars Stretch On And On: 'Will Iran Be
Next?'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS82.HTM

'PNAC - The Secretive Blueprint For War After War After War'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS81.HTM

'America's War for Global Domination'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS80.HTM

'The Plan is for the United States to rule the world'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS79.HTM

'Lets Not Forget: Bush Planned Iraq 'Regime Change' Before Becoming
President'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS78.HTM

'Pentagon Tells Bush: Climate Change Will Destroy Us'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS77.HTM

As HAARP, Chemtrails and 'Own The Weather' Military Programs Multiply -
'Goodbye Sunshine'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS76.HTM

After HAARP And Chemtrails - 'Climate Collapse: The Pentagon's Weather
Nightmare'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS75.HTM

Iraq: The Secret Agenda -'The President's Real Goal In Iraq'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS74.HTM

'Global Oil Demand To Skyrocket!'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS73.HTM

'Bush And Blair Planned Iraq War 9 Months Before Invasion'
http://www.nwointelligence.com/NEWS72.HTM

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Not that I can see ID cards solving anything....

Perhaps not but I can't see them doing any harm either. It's worth a try.

I stirred this up in another NG too, here's an interesting response for
you Mary:

"I already had my credit rating shot to pieces once because of an admin
error, I would not like to have me shot to pieces because of a similar
error. "

Well, Geoff, it's of no interest to me. It couldn't happen to me because I
don't want credit. I've learned the hard way that debt is destructive and
that I'd rather go without things than owe.

It's of no interest because you missed or chose to ignore his point.
It's nothing to do with credit rating per se, it's pointing out how
easily it is for your life to get ****ed up by someone else's error

--
geoff
John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

I didn't suggest it, I merely offered the opinion that I don't object to it.
Perhaps not in those exact words but I hold to it.

That is perhaps the bit I am having difficulty grasping. Given the costs
of them (both social and financial) are so large, it seems strange (to
me) to simply accept those costs without objection and yet not be able
to champion any rational purpose for incurring them.

Oh, you mean let other people suffer first? That is, if they DO suffer.
That's not a charitable outlook.

Its a pragmatic one. It is the difference between wizdom and experiance...
experiance says when you trip over a dodgy pavement, "I won't do that
again", when you see someone else trip over the pavement and think "that
pavement must be dodgy, I will remeber to not to do that" you have wizdom.
No point in you both suffering!

That paragraph isn't a good example of that. When you read good spelling do
you remember to use the right ones in your posts?

One of the odd things about dyslexia is the ability to read most text
and be completely oblivious to the spelling contained therein (unless it
is glaringly weak). It is also easy for me to write a paragraph, spell
the same word four different ways within it, and have them all look "ok"
when reading it back later. Alas not only is it difficult for me to
improve my spelling by wisdom (i.e. observation), it is also equally
difficult to improve it with experience, since a prerequisite of
learning from experience would have to be recognising the failure in the
first place.

However, I am not sure how exactly this diversion into spelling helps
further the discussion on national ID registers....

(there, I even spell checked that one for you)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

Yup just like now, only without the safguards of multiple incompatible
distributed and non connected databases that limit the scope of an error,
and provide alternative routes to perform sanity checks and consistency
checks on the data when something goes wrong.

Can you put that into Plain English please?

Seemed plain enough as it was... which bit are you having difficulty with?

"Multiple / distributed" - there are lots of places where data are
stored about us. These databases are not centralised. E.g. the
information held on the passport database is not in the same place as
that relating to your drivers license or your birth certificate.

"non connected" - a change made to information in one place does not
automatically propagate through to all the others.

"incompatible" - data are held on various systems ranging from paper to
electronic. Since this is not a monoculture, it impossible for a single
type of activity / error to compromise all these systems in one go.

Hence if an error were made (or someone tampered) with your passport
details, you would have several options available to you to correct the
error. The fallibility of the information systems is understood and
abilities to deal with it are built into the processes. The database is
not always right.

Also don't forget the new scope for data mining exercises correlating your
innocent behaviour to that of a known problem groups.

And that.

Data mining, is the process of running statistical analysis and AI/fuzzy
logic pattern recognition techniques against large data sets with the
intention of discovering previously unknown relationships and
causalities within the data.

More detailed descriptions he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining

One novel example would be the suicide predictor used in some
underground stations via their CCTV systems. By performing data mining
exercises against CCTV footage of people who threw themselves in front
of trains, they have produced algorithms that can detect patterns of
behaviour the frequently preceded a suicide attempt of this nature. The
computer system attempts to give early warning to staff that this may be
about to happen.

However the process can be used against any large data set to attempt to
find a predicate for all sorts of behaviours or outcomes. Hence armed
with your national ID register and its collected data of everyone's
movements and transactions (financial or otherwise) you can set about
identifying the predicates for all sorts of unwanted behaviour like
benefit fraud or terrorism for example.

You can see the tantalising prospects for the powers that be. The
technology vendors will only help to encourage them in this line of
thought.

The difficulty however is this is not an exact science. Even if you do
find a way of identifying some individuals who will go on to commit a
crime (or have escaped detection in the past), you can't help but sweep
many innocents into the net in the same action. You are also into the
rather questionable process of arresting people for what your think they
might be about to do (football hooliganism legislation anyone?).

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

I actually agree with the CORRECT use of speed cameras - and

as
you infer,
if you break the speed limit and get caught - then tough and

don't
whinge
about it...

I've never heard of an incorrect use of one.

Not one I believe anyway :-)

I've got one not to far away from me now, the camera is

positioned
catch the accidental speeding that might happen when pulling

away
from
a roundabout,

Accidental speeding when pulling away from a roundabout???

Sounds more like accidentally pulling my leg.

You sound like a non driver (or one with little to nil

experience)....

LOL! I was probably driving before you were born! And I've driven

(and still
do) in all conditions and with a variety of vehicles you couldn't

imagine.

But you have, no doubt, only driven them the half a mile to the
village shops or church....

Anyway, seeing that my 'trade' is within the motor trade I suspect *I*
have driven more vehicles (and types) than you have probably seen let
alone sat in - the fact that you completely missed the point I was
making about the positioning of the said camera you really should just
shut your ignorant, self opinionated, super-sized gob for once !

MM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:32:36 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"raden" wrote in message
news

Together with other recent pieces of legislation, we will end up
wit a significant proportion of people just living outside the
law

Just like now you mean? So no change there then. :-)

Except we'll have wasted £3bn on getting nowhere...

Ah, not nowhere. All that hardware to be manufactured by people making a
living, ditto designers, ditto software, ditto operators, dittor enforcers,
ditto card makers, ditto ink... oh I can't be bothered. £3bn doesn't just go
nowhere, it's spent on things and services, all of which keep the world busy
and what goes round comes round.

This is a completely risible argument. Why then don't we just spend
the money on doing exactly that? Employ an army of workers and pay
them money from the taxpayer to the tune of £3bn so that they all
'earn' a living! It'd keep the world busy, wouldn't it? One group of
workers could design something, another group could put it into
production, yet another would sort out marketing and sales,
warehousemen would buy new forklift trucks, new roads would be
constructed to cope with the demand, and before long, there wouldn't
be enough space to accommodate all the extra staff and their families,
and attempts would have to be mounted in order to secure greater
living space.

MM
MM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:56:20 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

Up to the point this camera was erected I respected there use and the
given reasons for there positioning, that has all gone now - and no I
don't speed and thus have never been caught.

I agree. Until I moved to where I now live I was ambivalent about
speed cameras. But here in the Fens they are everywhere, often in
ridiculous places where there is a good road, no blind bits, no
schools nearby etc. There's one in particular that pops up out of
nowhere, and of course many drivers slam their brakes on because they
are unsure at that precise point whether they might be in a 50 mph
zone. I have seen several situations where the braking has led to
quite dangerous avoidance action. That camera is doing nothing, in
fact it's probably contributing to road danger, not lessening it. But
some jobsworth somewhere thought it was a good idea.

MM
Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I didn't suggest it, I merely offered the opinion that I don't object to
it. Perhaps not in those exact words but I hold to it.

That is perhaps the bit I am having difficulty grasping.

In the same way as I have difficulty grasping unsubstantiated objections.
They are merely opinions, just as mine are.

Given the costs of them (both social and financial) are so large, it seems
strange (to me) to simply accept those costs without objection and yet not
be able to champion any rational purpose for incurring them.

I was far more inflamed about the invasion of Iraq. I can be passionate.

That paragraph isn't a good example of that. When you read good spelling
do you remember to use the right ones in your posts?

One of the odd things about dyslexia

However, I am not sure how exactly this diversion into spelling helps
further the discussion on national ID registers....

It doesn't. But it seems to me that nothing I've read on this thread helps
further that discussion. I'm enjoying it but haven't learned anything yet.

(there, I even spell checked that one for you)

Thank you. It's not difficult to do it for every post to avoid
misunderstandings.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
These stories are from the much-visited and extremely popular
'Alternatve News' web page at http://www.nwointelligence.com..

Just because something is much visited and extremely popular doesn't make it
either universally appealing or authoritative.

I understand that porn sites are much visited and extremely popular.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yup just like now, only without the safguards of multiple incompatible
distributed and non connected databases that limit the scope of an error,
and provide alternative routes to perform sanity checks and consistency
checks on the data when something goes wrong.

Can you put that into Plain English please?

Seemed plain enough as it was... which bit are you having difficulty with?

It was like a Russian novel, I turned off at the first line. Communication
is about getting across your message, if it doesn't do that, no matter how
fancy the language, it's worthless.

As for my having difficulty with it, do you honestly think that everyone
else reading this thread would havean instant understanding? The
underwhelming response doesn't sugges tthat.

"Multiple / distributed" - there are lots of places where data are stored
about us. These databases are not centralised. E.g. the information held
on the passport database is not in the same place as that relating to your
drivers license or your birth certificate.

No, but in Our Glorious Leader's Joined up Thinking every gets going it
could be.

"non connected" - a change made to information in one place does not
automatically propagate through to all the others.

You sound like a politician.

"incompatible" - data are held on various systems ranging from paper to
electronic. Since this is not a monoculture, it impossible for a single
type of activity / error to compromise all these systems in one go.

Ah - I understand 'monoculture'. But I can'tsee what OSR has to do with this
thread ...

Hence if an error were made (or someone tampered) with your passport
details, you would have several options available to you to correct the
error. The fallibility of the information systems is understood and
abilities to deal with it are built into the processes. The database is
not always right.

And there isn't always a reluctance to investigate the reported error and a
refusal to correct it.

Also don't forget the new scope for data mining exercises correlating
your innocent behaviour to that of a known problem groups.

And that.

Data mining, is the process of running statistical analysis and AI/fuzzy
logic pattern recognition techniques against large data sets with the
intention of discovering previously unknown relationships and causalities
within the data.

Oh, I see! Crystal clear :-)

[...]

Sorry, you switched me off several paras ago ... Pity really because I do
respect a lot of your knowledge and opinion.

Mary

--
Cheers,

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
fredbloggstwo wrote:
On the other hand consider this. The way our government works has not
been
changed for centuries. There are, IIRC, about 14 major government
departments and on each of them you can have multiple identities. They
do
not communicate between them because of bureaucracy, so the maths says
that
the opportunity for fraud is proportional to Factorial 14. ...

An alternative would be to close thirteen government departments.

Hurrah!

er - except that the one left would be all powerful.

Hmm.

Back to the drawing board ...

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message

[...]

It's done all the time.

What do we really NEED?

Certainly not most of the things we buy.

Mary

MM

Mary Fisher

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

eenews.net...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
[...]

In inner city Leeds? And travelling (and towing) all round the UK?

You shouldn't make assumptions.

Anyway, seeing that my 'trade' is within the motor trade I suspect *I*
have driven more vehicles (and types) than you have probably seen let
alone sat in - the fact that you completely missed the point I was
making about the positioning of the said camera you really should just
shut your ignorant, self opinionated, super-sized gob for once !

Oh, faced with such eloquence I promise that I'm beaten and shan't offend
you by reading any more of your posts.

I remain your very humble and obedient servant,

chortle

The Natural Philosopher

All this bother when they could just tattoo your camp number on your arm
at birth...
The Natural Philosopher

BigWallop wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

Yiu are describing the current state bureacracy to a 'T'

Make-work fo the boys.

MM

:::Jerry::::

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip

You shouldn't make assumptions.

Stop talking about yourself...

Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

Sorry, you switched me off several paras ago ... Pity really because I do
respect a lot of your knowledge and opinion.

For crying out loud, Mary! When you post about winged insects,
chicken-keeping, or whatever areas you have specialist knowledge on, we
make an effort to follow along: even - indeed, more so - when your
claims are contrary to first-blush perceived wisdom. Some of us might
even (gasp) Google for the odd unfamiliar term in your postings.

If you're not willing to follow along at a reading level a couple of
notches up from The Sun, why bother joining in at all? Saying 'oh, it's
all too complicated, but I'm sure it'll be all right' is itself
provocative. (Just because too many of our MPs prefer to be told what to
think doesn't excuse you doing it: your participation in the mini-debate
here is purely voluntary.)

More provocative is your dismisal of detailed arguments as 'speculations
of armchair experts'; for one, the political process is supposed to be
about *engaging* people, not keeping them fatdumbnappy; for two, it's
just possible some of the contributors know what they're on about (and
post under their Real Names wot can be Googled for).

Dismissing detail - as you did when someone posted the laundry-list of
personal data with which the National Identity Register is to be
initially populated - with a sarcastic 'My, we have been busy' is a
further aggravating anti-contribution to the debate. Why do you choose
to adopt this posture on this issue? You say you were 'passionate' about
the Iraq invasion - weren't there both technical and deep-policy issues
there? Why weren't you happy to leave the assessment of the legitimacy
of the invasion, and the approach to WMD, to The Appointed Experts in
that case?

Maybe it's just wind-up-a-geek-week for you. Enjoy.

Stefek
Stefek Zaba

John Rumm wrote:

Yup just like now, only without the safguards of multiple incompatible
distributed and non connected databases that limit the scope of an
error, and provide alternative routes to perform sanity checks and
consistency checks on the data when something goes wrong.

So, to expand this out for the hard-of-reading.

Currently, it's impractical to conduct mass surveillance of 'ordinary'
people. People have different identifiers in different databases - your
loyalty card number in one, your NHS number in another, your employee-ID
in a third, and so on. That limits the amount of information which any
single bent insider can gain - i.e., someone whose job gives them
authorised access to the information on one database, and is willing to
take a peek at someone's data for 50-100 quid. You'd have to really
*want* the information to slip tens of people that sort of money, sort
out the false hits between them, and so on. The State may have the
resources to get the necessary access in 'extreme' cases, and most of us
would want it to; even the State doesn't have the resources to do it
routinely.

Behind John's two words 'not connected' are two deep, and distinct,
concepts. Firstly, they're not connected at the 'operational' level:
that means someone whose job gives them access to one database - the car
registration database, say - doesn't have access to medical information.
Nor do the computer systems which query or update the database have
access to those other databases.

Secondly, they're not connected at the 'logical' level, precisely
because there isn't a reliable, common identifier for the 'same' thing
across them. Where that 'thing' is a person, they've got a different
'unique within this database' identifier, as mentioned above
(loyalty-card number, NHS number, employee number). Their 'human
readable' name will vary: it may be Elizabeth R Windsor in one, Liz
Windsor in another, Elisabeth Winsor in the third. For reliable
'linking', a common identifier - as the National ID Register intends to
introduce - is all you need: it's then irrelevant whether you have one
big database or lots of little ones, as the common identifier allows the
information in each one to be reliably associated with the same person.
And it allows whoever's paying the bent insider to be sure they're
getting details on the right subject - not just someone with a similar name.

John then points out that having these 'multiple, incompatible
distributed and non connected databases' acts to 'limit the scope of an
error'. This is what he means: if there's information which is wrong on
one or two of them, it only affects the uses to which those one or two
databases are put. So, if your hospital, gas supplier, and
corgi-appreciation-society all show your address as being 'The Castle,
Windsor', your post reaches you at that correct address from all those
organisations. If the Dunkirk Veteran's Association database misrecords
your address as 'Castle Drive, Staines', only that bit of post goes
missing, and when you notice you haven't had the newsletter and
invitation to the annual dinner-dance, you convince just that one
organisation to fix their records; sometimes, showing them a copy of
your gas bill and corgi-soc post, showing the right address, can help.

Once you've a single point of change, an error affects *all* of your
interactions with *all* of the many organisations who decided it would
be Efficient to use that single point as the Right And Proper way of
getting your address. On the plus side, this means you notice errors
quicker, and have more incentive to keep it up to date; on the minus
side, the effects of an error are greater, and it can be harder to get
the bureaucracy to fix them. Within one organisation, it's worth having
a 'single', authoritative point of change - you'd want, say, Amazon to
not have different databases for their shipping department, their
billing department, and their mailing-out-special-offers department
(note, though, that you *do* want their one database to allow you to
specify a different address for a particular delivery (gift to a
friend), for your bills (usually home, please, but to an employer's or
client's address for a particular purchase)). Across all of your
dealings as a citizen or resident of the UK, though, it's a lot less
clear that the advantages of a single point of change outweigh the
risks: and that's one of the pieces of analysis which simply hasn't been
published, whether or not it's been done.

Once the databases are 'connected' - whether 'operationally' (the
computers that run them actively swapping information) or 'logically'
(one shared personal identifier across lots-n-lots-n-lots of databases),
the kind of 'mass surveillance' which is currently impractical becomes
practical. It becomes practical for the merely nosey, busybody,
vigilante, weirdo-stalker types, who can now feasibly (pay somebody to)
look up the details on the now-linked databases. And it becomes
practical for government departments to design ever more 'joined-up'
systems, which more and more tightly restrict what it is to be 'normal'.
The richer you are, the less this matters - you can opt out of many Govt
services, you can indulge your little privacy foibles; the more you're
an 'ordinary hardworking family', the more it's in your economic and
convenience-of-living interests to simply conform.

Moving by unexamined apathy into that sort of society upsets me: it
seems to me that (a) you should establish a strong genuinely-informed
consensus that 'most of us' really do want to live that way; and (b)
that you need to make some genuine provision for the 'rest of them', who
don't. The tolerance for eccentricity, self-determination, and each
citizen having their own weird ways of *not* conforming - whether it's
Morris-dancing, thinking that what Chris de Burgh produces is music,
urban chicken-keeping, or building barbeques out of emptied propane
cylinders - is the single most attractive aspect of living in the UK.
(Note the crafty link to both uk and d-i-y there ;-)

Also don't forget the new scope for data mining exercises correlating
your innocent behaviour to that of a known problem groups.

John's already explained what 'data mining' means - it's looking for
patterns in the data that's held about a Thing (a person, say, or a car)
to find Interesting New Patterns from which Interesting Conclusions can
be drawn. The uses of this technique are legion. For example, a
supermarket might find that people who often buy nice, hand-made pasta
also buy fancy olive oil (unsurprising) and travel magazines (less
obvious), and decide to put together some Targetted Promotion. Or your
credit card company finds that a long period of disuse followed by
repeated mid-value purchases indicates fraud - great if your card's
nicked and the unauthorised spending's brought to your attention early,
not so great if you've been holding off spending until having all the
grandchildren over for your 75th birthday for which you're buying them
each a pressie.

Because data mining produces only 'correlations', its 'predictions'
aren't 'certain'. This doesn't matter much if it makes your marketing
just 'rather' better, so 'only' 88% of your mailshots are ignored,
instead of 94%. It matters a bit more if your spending/activity patterns
match those of some rightly-suspect group (e.g., you're a foreign-named
keen d-i-y'er and planespotter who spends lots of time buying military
surplus gear and travelling to airports), and the resulting Enquiries
turn neighbours and colleagues against you...

Hope that helps round out John's pithy comments... Stefek

Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Sorry, you switched me off several paras ago ... Pity really because I do
respect a lot of your knowledge and opinion.

For crying out loud, Mary!

If you're not willing to follow along at a reading level a couple of
notches up from The Sun, why bother joining in at all?

Well, I was reacting to something posted in reply to me. People can choose
to read or reply, there's no need to get wound up about my insignificant
opinions. I don't expect replies to anything I post, I suppose I don't even
notice when there isn't one unless I've instigated a post. But when it gets
too deep for my poor old grey head I have to say so. Perhaps I don't do it
in the most gentle way but that's my style - and I don't intend to be
offensive in doing it.

Saying 'oh, it's all too complicated, but I'm sure it'll be all right' is
itself provocative.

It wasn't intended to be. If someone rises to imagined bait that's his/her
problem, not mine. The same applies if I respond to something someone else
says.

(Just because too many of our MPs prefer to be told what to think doesn't
excuse you doing it: your participation in the mini-debate here is purely
voluntary.)

You think I think what I'm told to think? No, exactly the opposite.

More provocative is your dismisal of detailed arguments as 'speculations
of armchair experts';

When posters state that such and such will happen with no evidence provided
suggests to me that s/he is an armchair expert. S/he MIGHT be proved right
but I question how anyone can foretell the future.

for one, the political process is supposed to be about *engaging* people,

Eh? I've tried engaging politicians at all levels for years and they always
back off.

not keeping them fatdumbnappy; for two, it's just possible some of the
contributors know what they're on about

Perhaps they do but very many don't give any evidence to back up their
predictions.

(and post under their Real Names wot can be Googled for).

Well, according to some, that's a dangerous practice!

Dismissing detail - as you did when someone posted the laundry-list of
personal data with which the National Identity Register is to be initially
populated - with a sarcastic 'My, we have been busy' is a further
aggravating anti-contribution to the debate.

Perhaps it was.

Why do you choose to adopt this posture on this issue?

I can't say, I can't remember when I said it or what the other circumstances
were. Perhaps I was bored, perhaps I was cynical, perhaps I'd had too much
to drink, perhaps I was tired, there could be all sorts of reasons. I'm
sorry if I've touched a raw nerve in you.

You say you were 'passionate' about the Iraq invasion - weren't there both
technical and deep-policy issues there? Why weren't you happy to leave the
assessment of the legitimacy of the invasion, and the approach to WMD, to
The Appointed Experts in that case?

I had no option, none of the anti-invasion opinions were considered, I
believe. I believe (but of course can't state as a fact, as many have done)
that it was decided by Bush many months before the invasion.

Maybe it's just wind-up-a-geek-week for you. Enjoy.

No, I do know that I wind people up but perhaps I make some people think
that there are other valid opinions - as I do. I learn a lot from Usenet.

Thanks for your post, would that everyone was as polite.

Mary

Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

(and post under their Real Names wot can be Googled for).

Well, according to some, that's a dangerous practice!

It can be. Here, we can make our individual judgments, and post under
whatever names we like - some real, some stable pseudonyms, some
hit-n-run hard-to-track. Everyone gets to make that *choice* for
themselves, and weigh up the consequences according to their own
circumstances.

That's a choice which the proposed ID card scheme removes from many
normal interactions. As the Information Commissioner (previously the
Data Protection Registrar) notes - the last time we had ID cards, they
were introduced for exactly three relatively narrow purposes (national
service, security, and rationing); eleven years later, 39 government
agencies were using them for a variety of purposes. See

http://www.informationcommissioner.g...aft%20Bill.pdf

if you have the inclination. How long before B&Q will require you (yes,
*everyone*, so as not to be accused of being discriminatory!) to show
your ID card to buy knives and glue?

On a different tack - thanks (truly!) for calling my response 'polite' -
it was considerably more abrasive than a standard-Stefek. I guess my Ma
must've done something right as I were drug up ;-)

Stefek
Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message

So, to expand this out for the hard-of-reading.

Despite the mildly offensive nature of that comment I read on -because I
respect your opinions among some others.

Currently, it's impractical to conduct mass surveillance of 'ordinary'
people. People have different identifiers in different databases - your
loyalty card number in one, your NHS number in another, your employee-ID
in a third, and so on.

The national all-embracing census perhaps - with all those Jedi ... No, I
didn't have the wit to say that but I did write "irrelevant" on the race
question. There was no come-back, sadly.

That limits the amount of information which any single bent insider can
gain - i.e., someone whose job gives them authorised access to the
information on one database, and is willing to take a peek at someone's
data for 50-100 quid. You'd have to really *want* the information to slip
tens of people that sort of money, sort out the false hits between them,
and so on. The State may have the resources to get the necessary access in
'extreme' cases, and most of us would want it to; even the State doesn't
have the resources to do it routinely.

Behind John's two words 'not connected' are two deep, and distinct,
concepts.

Your understanding is deeper than mine.

Firstly, they're not connected at the 'operational' level: that means
someone whose job gives them access to one database - the car registration
database, say - doesn't have access to medical information. Nor do the
computer systems which query or update the database have access to those
other databases.

Wouldn't it be more convenient in some cases to have that information?

And in the case of the car reg. database, it has some medical information on
me and on Spouse and I'm sure we're not unique.What's more, it doesn't worry
us and that's the main basis for my lack of worry about an ID system, we
have nothing to hide. I know I've said it before but people do keep trying
to prove that we have - or might have. We don't. I have a personal attitude
to this, I know that it isn't shared by others, the same applies to all
sorts of other things I care about, don't care about oram neutral about.

[...]

You're assuming that there WILL be bent insiders. Worse, I suspect, that
there will be no check on such bent insiders.

[...]

I believe that there still would be ways of amending information on the
proposed ID system. Don't ask me how I know, I don't know,I said I believe.

I have not much faith in politicians but I do believe that the system won't
be worked by politicians but be people like you and me, civil servants if
you like, who mostly care about getting things right because it makes their
job easier. I have a son and a daughter in different branches of the civil
service and they despair at the lack of common information about the people
they deal with, it would make them able to do their jobs more efficiently if
there were more.

Once you've a single point of change, an error affects *all* of your
interactions with *all* of the many organisations who decided it would be
Efficient to use that single point as the Right And Proper way of getting
your address. On the plus side, this means you notice errors quicker, and
have more incentive to keep it up to date; on the minus side, the effects
of an error are greater, and it can be harder to get the bureaucracy to
fix them.

You see, Stefek, that's the kind of assumption I rail against. How do you
KNOW that it can be harder to get bureaucracy to fix things? Or that errors
will be more widespread than they are on other databases anyway? I believe
that there will be checks.

Within one organisation, it's worth having a 'single', authoritative point
of change - you'd want, say, Amazon to not have different databases for
their shipping department, their billing department, and their
mailing-out-special-offers department (note, though, that you *do* want
their one database to allow you to specify a different address for a
particular delivery (gift to a friend), for your bills (usually home,
please, but to an employer's or client's address for a particular
purchase)). Across all of your dealings as a citizen or resident of the
UK, though, it's a lot less clear that the advantages of a single point of
change outweigh the risks: and that's one of the pieces of analysis which
simply hasn't been published, whether or not it's been done.

Subjectively speaking (which is all anyone can do) I'd welcome not having to
key in data or fill in forms or repeat information every time I want to
order something, renew something or book an appointment. But whenever I take
any of those actions, or receive confirmation,there's always the request for
confirmation of my details.

Somewhere we have to have trust.

At the moment there are severe restrictions on the data we can keep on
others, I've just realised that the way I keep some information about others
is illegal. If they want to get me for it so be it, no-one's hauled me off
yet and there's no reason why they should. If I MISUSE that information
that's a different matter of course.

Once the databases are 'connected' - whether 'operationally' (the
computers that run them actively swapping information) or 'logically' (one
shared personal identifier across lots-n-lots-n-lots of databases), the
kind of 'mass surveillance' which is currently impractical becomes
practical. It becomes practical for the merely nosey, busybody, vigilante,
weirdo-stalker types, who can now feasibly (pay somebody to) look up the
details on the now-linked databases.

So it will be easier and cheaper to do something they can do now. Not, in my
opinion, a greater 'threat' than is already there.

And it becomes practical for government departments to design ever more
'joined-up' systems, which more and more tightly restrict what it is to be
'normal'.

Why should they restrict it? They don't now.

The richer you are, the less this matters - you can opt out of many Govt
services, you can indulge your little privacy foibles; the more you're an
'ordinary hardworking family', the more it's in your economic and
convenience-of-living interests to simply conform.

Lets face it, most people conform anyway, they only want an easy life. I'm
one of the world's oddballs in my lack of conformity and I STILL don't get
into trouble. Do you think I would with an ID system? I think that those
whose jobs are to ensure the welfare of the country are only intent on
enforcing conformity on those who cause trouble.

Moving by unexamined apathy into that sort of society upsets me:

I think that apathetic isn't a word anyone who really knows me would apply
to me :-)

it seems to me that (a) you

Me personally??

should establish a strong genuinely-informed consensus that 'most of us'
really do want to live that way;

Perhaps those who don't want it need to do the same - without the hyperbole
which has been exhibited in this thread..

I believe that a referendum has been talked about, which still means that
(probably) a majority of people won't be happy :-)

and (b) that you need to make some genuine provision for the 'rest of
them', who don't. The tolerance for eccentricity, self-determination, and
each citizen having their own weird ways of *not* conforming - whether
it's Morris-dancing, thinking that what Chris de Burgh produces is music,
urban chicken-keeping, or building barbeques out of emptied propane
cylinders - is the single most attractive aspect of living in the UK.
(Note the crafty link to both uk and d-i-y there ;-)

Oh come on! You're surely not suggesting that those freedoms will be stamped
on?

Also don't forget the new scope for data mining exercises correlating
your innocent behaviour to that of a known problem groups.

John's already explained what 'data mining' means - it's looking for
patterns in the data that's held about a Thing (a person, say, or a car)
to find Interesting New Patterns from which Interesting Conclusions can be
drawn.

Why should the State want to do that?

The uses of this technique are legion. For example, a supermarket might
find that people who often buy nice, hand-made pasta also buy fancy olive
oil (unsurprising) and travel magazines (less obvious), and decide to put
together some Targetted Promotion.

Amazon already does that, it's quite useful :-)

Or your credit card company finds that a long period of disuse followed by
repeated mid-value purchases indicates fraud

That already happens with some bank accounts and it certainly does on one of
my credit card accounts. I appreciate it.

- great if your card's nicked and the unauthorised spending's brought to
your attention early, not so great if you've been holding off spending
until having all the grandchildren over for your 75th birthday for which
you're buying them each a pressie.

No problem, they check, ask if you've done it, you say yes and that's it.
I've done it - not for that purpose mind you, I've no intention of buying
them presents on MY birthday :-)

Because data mining produces only 'correlations', its 'predictions' aren't
'certain'. This doesn't matter much if it makes your marketing just
'rather' better, so 'only' 88% of your mailshots are ignored, instead of
94%. It matters a bit more if your spending/activity patterns match those
of some rightly-suspect group (e.g., you're a foreign-named keen d-i-y'er
and planespotter who spends lots of time buying military surplus gear and
travelling to airports), and the resulting Enquiries turn neighbours and
colleagues against you...

With neighbours and colleagues like that ... Although I know people who do
all those things (not necessarily at the same time) and they don't attract
any kind of attention. Even the ones who collect tanks.

Hope that helps round out John's pithy comments... Stefek

Well, it demonstrates your interpretations of them, which might well be the
same as his intentions. But it still doesn't mean that your fears are bound
to happen. No more than what you see as my 'complacency is justified.

Thanks again,

Mary

:::Jerry::::

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
snip

if you have the inclination. How long before B&Q will require you

(yes,
*everyone*, so as not to be accused of being discriminatory!) to

show
your ID card to buy knives and glue?

But again, what is the problem with the above, unless you *are* the
knife man of Tooting Broadway ?!

Seriously, if such a requirement stopped just on person being killed
will it not have been worth the slight invasion of privacy,
considering that if you paid via a credit card B&Q (or more likely)
the Police can still obtain your personal details [name, address, date
of birth and your ware-abouts etc.] as and when you used your CC.

Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message

How long before B&Q will require you (yes, *everyone*, so as not to be
accused of being discriminatory!) to show your ID card to buy knives and
glue?

Oh no! I really couldn't bear that - you mean TWO cards to be shown ...
Well, thinking about it, it's far more convenient that having to drag round
my birth certificate and gas bill!

On a different tack - thanks (truly!) for calling my response 'polite' -
it was considerably more abrasive than a standard-Stefek. I guess my Ma
must've done something right as I were drug up ;-)

We usually do, exceptions prove the rule as in all aspects of life - and
have been seen here. Not, of course, from ukdiy folk ...

Mary

Stefek

David Shepherd

wrote:

Ah, not nowhere. All that hardware to be manufactured by people making a
living, ditto designers, ditto software, ditto operators, dittor enforcers,
ditto card makers, ditto ink... oh I can't be bothered. £3bn doesn't just go
nowhere, it's spent on things and services, all of which keep the world busy
and what goes round comes round.

I would prefer my contribution to the £3bn to go towards building and
staffing a new hospital or school or improving access to NHS funded
dental treatment (or similar, I'm sure you get the idea) where it
would not only boost employment in the manner you describe, but also
have a real benefit to society.

Dave
Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

Wouldn't it be more convenient in some cases to have that information?

Yes, it would. However, I (and other idiots like the Information
Commissioner, acting according to the law of the land on data protection
;-) want to see *each* such connection evaluated on its *merits*,
balancing gains in administrative convenience against risks to privacy.
It's your choice to rate your privacy at '0' in that balance; it's not
your right (or Charles Clarke's) to impose that choice on everyone else.

You're assuming that there WILL be bent insiders. Worse, I suspect, that
there will be no check on such bent insiders.

No, I'm not just *assuming* this. I'm basing my figure of 50-100 quid on
credible, established reports of what it costs private investigators to
ferret out said information: including a recent court case where,
shamefully, two such bent public servant got a small fine and a
suspended sentence. That wasn't exactly a message about strong enforcement.

I believe that there still would be ways of amending information on the
proposed ID system. Don't ask me how I know, I don't know,I said I believe.

Of course there will; necessarily, the checks will be more stringent
precisely because changes will matter more. Hence my claim, which you
'rail against', that 'it can be harder to get the bureaucracy to
fix them'.

You see, Stefek, that's the kind of assumption I rail against. How do you
KNOW that it can be harder to get bureaucracy to fix things? Or that errors
will be more widespread than they are on other databases anyway? I believe
that there will be checks.

As pointed out above, it's not that there will be more errors
necessarily, but that the consequences of errors will be greater. And
the entries will be run not only by public-spirited people, but by
contractors on minimum wage - maybe some offshour outsourced workers too
- whose immediate goals are about meeting their supervisor-set targets
on 'number of cases dealt with per hour', because that's easy to
measure; while 'accuracy', 'quality', 'right first time' are harder to
measure - so aren't in most data-entry shops.

Somewhere we have to have trust.

Yes; and I want to hold those mechanisms up to careful examiniation.

So it will be easier and cheaper to do something they can do now. Not, in my
opinion, a greater 'threat' than is already there.

Do, please, take a look at www.zaba.com, for a clear case in point of
how making things 'easy' to look up changes society's behaviour. I
assure you it's relevant, short, and pretty readable!

it seems to me that (a) you

Me personally??

No: 'one', more specifically 'the engaged citizen'

should establish a strong genuinely-informed consensus that 'most of us'
really do want to live that way;

Perhaps those who don't want it need to do the same - without the hyperbole
which has been exhibited in this thread..

I believe that a referendum has been talked about, which still means that
(probably) a majority of people won't be happy :-)

Nuttin's been said about a referendum on ID cards!

Cheers, Stefek
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Wouldn't it be more convenient in some cases to have that information?

Yes, it would. However, I (and other idiots

I've not called you an idiot.

like the Information Commissioner, acting according to the law of the
land on data protection ;-) want to see *each* such connection evaluated
on its *merits*, balancing gains in administrative convenience against
risks to privacy.

And you really believe that will happen?

It's your choice to rate your privacy at '0' in that balance; it's not
your right (or Charles Clarke's) to impose that choice on everyone else.

I didn't vote for him.

You're assuming that there WILL be bent insiders. Worse, I suspect, that
there will be no check on such bent insiders.

No, I'm not just *assuming* this. I'm basing my figure of 50-100 quid on
credible, established reports of what it costs private investigators to
ferret out said information: including a recent court case where,
shamefully, two such bent public servant got a small fine and a suspended
sentence. That wasn't exactly a message about strong enforcement.

One swallow ...

I believe that there still would be ways of amending information on the
proposed ID system. Don't ask me how I know, I don't know,I said I
believe.

Of course there will; necessarily, the checks will be more stringent
precisely because changes will matter more. Hence my claim, which you
'rail against', that 'it can be harder to get the bureaucracy to
fix them'.

er ... I'm being stupid again, sorry.

You see, Stefek, that's the kind of assumption I rail against. How do you
KNOW that it can be harder to get bureaucracy to fix things? Or that
errors will be more widespread than they are on other databases anyway? I
believe that there will be checks.

As pointed out above, it's not that there will be more errors necessarily,
but that the consequences of errors will be greater.

To have consequences you have to have the errors.

And the entries will be run not only by public-spirited people, but by
contractors on minimum wage - maybe some offshour outsourced workers too -
whose immediate goals are about meeting their supervisor-set targets on
'number of cases dealt with per hour', because that's easy to measure;
while 'accuracy', 'quality', 'right first time' are harder to measure - so
aren't in most data-entry shops.

Will they? You know that? How?

Somewhere we have to have trust.

Yes; and I want to hold those mechanisms up to careful examiniation.

It would be nice.

So it will be easier and cheaper to do something they can do now. Not, in
my opinion, a greater 'threat' than is already there.

Do, please, take a look at www.zaba.com, for a clear case in point of how
making things 'easy' to look up changes society's behaviour. I assure you
it's relevant, short, and pretty readable!

I did look, you might think it's relevant, I think it's subjective, it's
neither short nor, sorry to say this, readable.

I can't see any problem in submitting the information which is suggested as
a problem. I'll tell you all my relevant information now if you like. And
much good may it do you.

it seems to me that (a) you

Me personally??

No: 'one', more specifically 'the engaged citizen'

should establish a strong genuinely-informed consensus that 'most of us'
really do want to live that way;

Perhaps those who don't want it need to do the same - without the
hyperbole which has been exhibited in this thread..

No answer to that?

I believe that a referendum has been talked about, which still means that
(probably) a majority of people won't be happy :-)

Nuttin's been said about a referendum on ID cards!

Oh. In that case I've misunderstood.

Er - are you sure,100% certain, that NOTHING has been said about it?

Mary

MM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:37:54 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
snip

if you have the inclination. How long before B&Q will require you

(yes,
*everyone*, so as not to be accused of being discriminatory!) to

show
your ID card to buy knives and glue?

But again, what is the problem with the above, unless you *are* the
knife man of Tooting Broadway ?!

Seriously, if such a requirement stopped just on person being killed
will it not have been worth the slight invasion of privacy,
considering that if you paid via a credit card B&Q (or more likely)
the Police can still obtain your personal details [name, address, date
of birth and your ware-abouts etc.] as and when you used your CC.

And think of the huge cost of cross-referencing. A knife is bought
somewhere. The details of the purchaser are entered. Let's say, the
following:

Knife
Irish Catholic
Lives in London
Been here six months

Or

Weedkiller
Iranian Muslim
Lives in London
Been here 10 years

Both cases may, of course, be bona fide. (The guy with the knife is a
friend of the bloke with the weedkiller. First guy is helping second
guy at the latter's allotment. He uses the knife to cut string for
beanpoles and tomato plants. The other guy uses the weedkiller to, er,
kill weeds.)

But to the police? The Home Office? The Security Services? If they
have the opportunity, using the ID card data, to check and
cross-refer, they are more or less bound to make those checks.
Largely, the ID card will be a solution in search of a problem.

Over the whole country, with millions of transactions every week, the
combinatorial explosion of possible permutations is so massive, the
police would need 10,000 years with the world's most powerful
computers just to scratch the surface.

And suppose they do even attempt it, cross-referencing I mean. Suppose
the cross-referencing task, even with so-called 'smart' extrapolatory
software, needed to recruit tens of thousands of extra civil servants
with an overall cost just to run the system of £5bn PER YEAR? That's
in addition to signing up new bods for ID cards, processing those who
have died or left the country and ensuring that their ID cards are
returned from all points of the kingdom and destroyed, replacing the
hundreds of lost cards every day, prosecuting the forgetful, the wily,
and the recalcitrants for failing to comply with one or other arcane
aspect of the card. The country's security forces could in fact be so
bound up in ID card stuff that there is no resource left for
'ordinary' policing. We could even see a huge rise in crime, as whole
districts become starved of any police presence and are left to get on
with it, which would very quickly lead to vigilantism by the locals.

And suppose, despite all that, that a terrorist here as a tourist and
therefore not on the government's database simply straps some homemade
bomb to himself and walks into the Underground?

What a waste of time and money! Think what those extra resources, if
spent instead on more intensive intelligence gathering in the
old-fashioned way, could be used for.

This scenario I paint is as much for Mary as anyone else, because the
anti-ID card debate needs people with influence and I believe Mary has
that in some circles. But Mary doesn't seem to care one way or the
other, because like so many people in Britain she surmises that 'it
can't happen here, not in good old Britain!'

MM
Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message
news
snip stuff I couldn't hve put better myself

This scenario I paint is as much for Mary as anyone else,

How flattering!

because the
anti-ID card debate needs people with influence and I believe Mary has
that in some circles.

Um. True but probably not the right circles :-)

But Mary doesn't seem to care one way or the
other, because like so many people in Britain she surmises that 'it
can't happen here, not in good old Britain!'

That's not the reason. I just have yet to be convinced that it would be a
problem, your post emphasises my lack of conviction.

Mary

MM

Owain

Stefek Zaba wrote:
I believe that a referendum has been talked about, which still means
that (probably) a majority of people won't be happy :-)

Nuttin's been said about a referendum on ID cards!

If you don't (voluntarily) carry an ID card, will you be allowed to vote
in a referendum for making them compulsory?

Then think how that might influence the outcome of such a referendum ...

Owain

Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:
[i]
................ want to see *each* such connection evaluated
on its *merits*, balancing gains in administrative convenience against
risks to privacy.

And you really believe that will happen?

Well, good software system design practice requires it; and as far as
handling personal data's concerned, the law of the land - the Data
Protection Act - requires it too.

shamefully, two such bent public servant got a small fine and a suspended
sentence. That wasn't exactly a message about strong enforcement.

One swallow ...

positively indicates that claims of a swallow-free land are false. One
swallow sighting per person allows a guesstimate of the swallow
population, allowing for whether they fly about a lot or generally hide.
In the case of people who are bent, or are simply helpful on the phone
(look up 'social engineering' if you're not sure what I'm on about),
there's a lot more than just one or two working away.

As pointed out above, it's not that there will be more errors necessarily,
but that the consequences of errors will be greater.

To have consequences you have to have the errors.

You're serious that your initial intuition is that the National Identity
Register's data would be error-free? Would it shake that intuition to
hear that the error rate on the Driver Vehicle Licensing database is 30%
- i.e. that a little under one in three entries have an inaccuracy?
(Would you believe me anyway?)

And the entries will be run not only by public-spirited people, but by
contractors on minimum wage - maybe some offshour outsourced workers too -
whose immediate goals are about meeting their supervisor-set targets on
'number of cases dealt with per hour', because that's easy to measure;
while 'accuracy', 'quality', 'right first time' are harder to measure - so
aren't in most data-entry shops.

Will they? You know that? How?

25 years' experience in the IT industry, reasonably careful attention to
the trade press, and the odd personal experience as a consumer. One
well-known favourite-of-the-middle-clarsses department store has hade my
name utterly mangled on its storecard for over 10 years, and hasn't
fixed it after multiple letters and calls. It really doesn't matter
enough to either of us: I get to spend there using my account card, they
get it paid off.

Do, please, take a look at www.zaba.com,

I did look, you might think it's relevant, I think it's subjective, it's
neither short nor, sorry to say this, readable.

I can't see any problem in submitting the information which is suggested as
a problem. I'll tell you all my relevant information now if you like. And
much good may it do you.

You may be happy to have your information widely available; I accept
that a chunk of mine is, too. However, I've had a *stack* of anguished
emails from police and similar people, who really want themselves OFF
the zabasearch.com database. (For those who haven't been over to
zaba.com, zabasearch.com is NOTHING TO DO WITH ME: it's a free
people-search engine operating in the US concerned with US residents. It
aggregates info from public sources - not just phone books, but lots of
local government records, particularly property-purchase stuff, and
whatever private-sector sources it can lay its hands on).

In the US you see, there's no general data protection regime: data is
considered owned by the company you give it to for one purpose, and
they're free to sell it on to anyone else. In the US, police officers
and similar typically wear name badges on their uniforms (rather than
the traceable pseudonym approach we have in the UK, with a constable's
shoulder number). So they get kinda twitchy when a new service makes
available - for free and at a coupla clicks of the mouse - information
avout their home addresses, which previously took, for example, a manual
search down at the county records office through ledgers indexed not by
name but by address...

Nuttin's been said about a referendum on ID cards!

Oh. In that case I've misunderstood.

Er - are you sure,100% certain, that NOTHING has been said about it?

Yes. I follow this stuff reasonably closely (does it show? ;-). The Home
Office's first consultation was in 2002-3. The DTI Foresight programme
on Cybertrust and Cybercrime, which touched on this stuff (too lightly,
as I now think) and which I had a non-trivial role in, was in 2003-4.
The draft Bill was lost at the end of the last parliamentary session,
but is to be reintroduced very early in the next one. I've skimmed the
text of the Bill itself, and read the commentaries. Nowhere in there, or
in Home Office statements, have I seen any mention of a referendum. We
tend to reach for those only for things which are of massive
constitutional importance, and (cynically) upon which the government of
the day is itself internally divided. So, we had one on entering the
European Common Market, as I believe it was called back in the days of
Heath, Wilson, and Callaghan. We're promised one on adopting the Euro,
and on the next European Constitution (unless the French and/or Dutch
avoid Tony having to put it to us at all, by voting No ahead of ours).

Stefek
Peter Parry

On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The national all-embracing census perhaps - with all those Jedi ... No, I
didn't have the wit to say that but I did write "irrelevant" on the race
question. There was no come-back, sadly.

There will be if you write the same on your registration for your ID
card - £2,000 or a few months in jail.

You're assuming that there WILL be bent insiders.

There are now, many hundreds of them in the Civil Service. There
were when we last had ID cards, there will be when we get new ones.

I believe that there still would be ways of amending information on the
proposed ID system. Don't ask me how I know, I don't know,I said I believe.

Religion has always been a fine substitute for thinking, keeps
millions happy.

I have a son and a daughter in different branches of the civil
service and they despair at the lack of common information about the people
they deal with, it would make them able to do their jobs more efficiently if
there were more.

A very good reason for dispatching the idea of a national database to
the dustbin if there ever was one. Given the damage Snivel Serpents
cause to people without such a database it beggars belief that anyone
would want to give them more power to cause hurt.

Subjectively speaking (which is all anyone can do) I'd welcome not having to
key in data or fill in forms or repeat information every time I want to
order something, renew something or book an appointment. But whenever I take
any of those actions, or receive confirmation,there's always the request for
confirmation of my details.

As there will be in the future, a national ID system will soon be
subverted.

Somewhere we have to have trust.

Who? Politicians - they are yet to earn any. Snivel Serpents? The
standards of the Civil Service are so abysmal and their record of
incompetence so dire that one would have to be a fool to trust them.
Once upon a time one could assume they were stupid but honest. The
Civil Service had some sort of ethos. Now it is a ragbag of
"agencies" and corruption is so commonplace that in most cases it
isn't even investigated. To get someones record from the Police
National Computer is about GBP150, Social Service files can be bought
for a small packet of the social workers favourite chemicals. Inland
Revenue information is about GBP50.

At the moment there are severe restrictions on the data we can keep on
others, I've just realised that the way I keep some information about others
is illegal. If they want to get me for it so be it, no-one's hauled me off
yet and there's no reason why they should. If I MISUSE that information
that's a different matter of course.

How many prosecutions have taken place for the daily misuse of
information by civil servants and police officers of the most
sensitive civil database in existence today - the PNC and associated
intelligence databases? Of the very few that have occurred what have
the penalties been?

Lets face it, most people conform anyway, they only want an easy life. I'm
one of the world's oddballs in my lack of conformity and I STILL don't get
into trouble. Do you think I would with an ID system?

No, you just like to think you are non-conformist.

I believe that a referendum has been talked about, which still means that
(probably) a majority of people won't be happy :-)

It may have been talked about, there is no mention of one in the
draft bill and no intention of holding one.

Oh come on! You're surely not suggesting that those freedoms will be stamped
on?

Of course not - who on earth would think that any government would
make you a criminal for moving an electric point without paying tax
on it. Which government would make you a criminal for having a horse
manure middin? Which government could possibly think of giving you a
criminal record for having your bath water too hot? What stupid
ideas.

Why should the State want to do that?

The state probably wouldn't. Your local MP might, your local council
might. The policeman whose daughter your son is dating certainly
will, the librarian you argued with might well want to.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
raden

In message , Stefek Zaba
writes[i]
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Having just given Mary an example of someone I know in another NG who
had major problems due to an admin error which she twisted into a
problem of him having a debt, I'm coming to the conclusion that she
doesn't seem to be able to come to terms with evidence which doesn't fit
into her established mindset

--
geoff
John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

I was far more inflamed about the invasion of Iraq. I can be passionate.

Must be true I guess.... you are a mother several times over I believe ;-)

However, I am not sure how exactly this diversion into spelling helps
further the discussion on national ID registers....

It doesn't. But it seems to me that nothing I've read on this thread helps
further that discussion. I'm enjoying it but haven't learned anything yet.

Perhaps I am assuming too much too much background knowledge here? I
understand IT systems, and have specialist knowledge in some of the
technology that would be required to underpin a project of this type. As
a result I find it very easy to spot the many occasions where the
talking heads have glossed over a critical details or major
inconsistencies and conflicts of interest within the proposals that are
absolutely fundamental to it being able to function at all, let alone
deliver any of the various advantages the proponents have claimed. In
many cases it is obvious they have fallen for a line fed to them by
technology sales people.

(there, I even spell checked that one for you)

Thank you. It's not difficult to do it for every post to avoid
misunderstandings.

Generally I do, however I credit you with more that sufficient intellect
to be able to deduce my meaning in spite of the occasional spelling
mistake or typo.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

Perhaps they do but very many don't give any evidence to back up their
predictions.

Ah, well here is the conundrum, every time we give you hard "evidence"
if you wish to call it that, or technical explanations of why the system
will fail (i.e. from an engineering prospective not an "armchair expert"
one), you claim to have switched off.

This seems to be the functional equivalent of sticking your fingers in
your ears and saying "I can't hear you" over and over...

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Stefek Zaba wrote:

Hope that helps round out John's pithy comments... Stefek

Thank you kind sir!

A very well constructed and hopefully less "Russian novel" expansion of
what I thought I was saying.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

You see, Stefek, that's the kind of assumption I rail against. How do you
KNOW that it can be harder to get bureaucracy to fix things? Or that errors
will be more widespread than they are on other databases anyway? I believe
that there will be checks.

It comes down to the "trust" in the source of the information - the
greater the trust (real or perceived) the harder it is to for people to
accept challenge to it.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

And the entries will be run not only by public-spirited people, but by
contractors on minimum wage - maybe some offshour outsourced workers too -
whose immediate goals are about meeting their supervisor-set targets on
'number of cases dealt with per hour', because that's easy to measure;
while 'accuracy', 'quality', 'right first time' are harder to measure - so
aren't in most data-entry shops.

Will they? You know that? How?

Because big IT projects of this nature are only procured by government
and not run by it. They will accept tenders for the work from the usual
suspects. They will award contracts for the one with the most convincing
pitch (big buzzwords, snazzy sounding high tech stuff that must be
really good because it says so), and with the lowest price (as they
always do).

This lowest price is achieved in several ways, firstly by resourcing and
staffing the project for the lowest possible cost (i.e. buying data
processing support from outsourcing centre's in Bangalore etc), and more
importantly by "out lawyering" the government such that the "fixed
price" quoted is only a starting point that is then built up from each
time the government deviates from what they thought they wanted at the
outset. This is how your 3bn budget will rise to 10 and more. How do I
know that? Because that is exactly what has happened with every major IT
project to date, and the government seem resistant to learning that lesson.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Stefek Zaba wrote:

(look up 'social engineering' if you're not sure what I'm on about),
there's a lot more than just one or two working away.

Mary, you may find this a very enlightening read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ternodeltdcomp

not that techie, but shows just how easy it is for a skilled social
engineer to obtain information that you would anticipate it is not even
possible to obtain.

--
Cheers,

John.