Rufus Stone

Default Hoover Six Washing Machine - Shaking itself to death!

Any advice welcomed.

We have a Hoover Six Fast Iron 1300 Washing Machine which is now about
two years old. Just lately, on the slow spin setting it tries to shake
itself to bits.

I have looked around inside and all suspension etc. seems fine. The
only thing which seems wrong is some distortion in the wheel attached
to the drum through the bearing which holds the drum in the watertight
casing. This is an alloy wheel of maybe 8" diameter around which the
belt from the motor runs. After removing this wheel I can see some
small stress fractures and when the wheel is refitted to the drum
spline it does not seem to run true as if the wheel has become
distorted.

Anyone know if this is a common failing in these Hoover models or
whether the real reason may lie elsewhere, such as the bearing which
is causing this wheel to distort?

Many thanks,

R.

David Lang

Hi Rufus

Anyone know if this is a common failing in these Hoover models or
whether the real reason may lie elsewhere, such as the bearing which
is causing this wheel to distort?

I have constant problems with my Hotpoint which dances around the
conservatory floor at regular intervals, occasionally blocking the door into
the conservatory itself.

My problem seems to be keeping the machine level. Almost every time its
used I have to re level it.

Next plan is to buy some steel strapping and bolt the ******* to the walls.

Dave

Could be a loose counterweight which is a concrete block in the
machines I've had, don't know about yours, or shock absorber needs
replacing.

cheers

Jacob

Sparks

"Rufus Stone" wrote in message
idual.de...
Any advice welcomed.

We have a Hoover Six Fast Iron 1300 Washing Machine which is now about
two years old. Just lately, on the slow spin setting it tries to shake
itself to bits.

I would be taking it back to the shop rather than trying to fix it!
You should be covered under the sale of goods act
www.tradingstandards.gov.uk
or more specifically
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0054-1111.txt

Sparks...

David Lang wrote:
Hi Rufus

Anyone know if this is a common failing in these Hoover models or
whether the real reason may lie elsewhere, such as the bearing

which
is causing this wheel to distort?

I have constant problems with my Hotpoint which dances around the
conservatory floor at regular intervals, occasionally blocking the

door into
the conservatory itself.

My problem seems to be keeping the machine level. Almost every time

its
used I have to re level it.

Next plan is to buy some steel strapping and bolt the ******* to the

walls.

Dave

Tempting, but that could be a seriously bad idea. The shaking forces
can be pretty heavy, in some cases even enough to bring a wall down.

Better to add additional damping on the tub.

NT

Bert Coules

My Hoover washer/dryer recently started vibrating like crazy on its
spin cycles. Actually, vibrating is too mild a word: as others have
said, it was shaking with a violence that was quite alarming.

I opened it up and found several chunks of broken-off concrete lying
loose in the bottom of the casing, together with a couple of bolts -
curious things with chunky hexagonal heads and shafts that ended in
points.

The machine is getting on a bit now (I bought it when Hoover did their
disastrous free flights to the USA promotion) so in my case a
replacement is probably the best idea. I hope you can get yours back
into shape.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

David Lang

Hi Bert
My Hoover washer/dryer recently started vibrating like crazy on its
spin cycles. Actually, vibrating is too mild a word: as others have
said, it was shaking with a violence that was quite alarming.

Did I mention that mine was a psychic washing machine that goes into a
trance afterwards?

Dave

Bert Coules

Hi, Dave,

Did I mention that mine was a psychic washing machine that goes into

trance afterwards?

Clearly, it's possessed by the soul of a Whirling Dervish. But I
thought you didn't believe in such things!

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules wrote:
My Hoover washer/dryer recently started vibrating like crazy on its
spin cycles. Actually, vibrating is too mild a word: as others have
said, it was shaking with a violence that was quite alarming.

I opened it up and found several chunks of broken-off concrete lying
loose in the bottom of the casing, together with a couple of bolts -
curious things with chunky hexagonal heads and shafts that ended in
points.

The machine is getting on a bit now (I bought it when Hoover did

their
disastrous free flights to the USA promotion) so in my case a
replacement is probably the best idea. I hope you can get yours back
into shape.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

can you not upside-down it and pour a new block in situ? A couple of
hours for =A3200 saved isnt bad.

NT

Bert Coules

NT,

Can you not upside-down it and pour a new block in situ?
A couple of hours for £200 saved isn't bad.

Thanks, but I'd already thought of that. Unfortunately, it didn't
work: the concrete oozed out of the little drawer where you put the
soap powder. Mind you, there was a bright side: it flowed into the
hole in the floor where I was going to sink the earth rod, and neatly
closed it up.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk