--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Default Tapered or parallel plugs for screws in masonry?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:09:41 +0100, Bill Woods
wrote:

Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

My personal preference was for the plastic 'stick' type plug that you
had to cut to length yourself, like the one two-thirds of the way down
this page: http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/w...32_233_234.htm

I liked them because you could use a longer plug/screw if the wall was
a bit dodgy.

Haven't seen them for a few years, though. Anyone know if any of the
sheds stock them?

sponix
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:34:42 +0100, --s-p-o-n-i-x--
wrote:

I liked them because you could use a longer plug/screw if the wall was
a bit dodgy.

Slice the flange off another wallplug and shove that in afterwards.

Or else just poke them down with a drillbit. Unless you're using huge
screws, you only need one plug's length of grip, you just need it
further in where the wall is stable.

Haven't seen them for a few years, though. Anyone know if any of the
sheds stock them?

I saw them recently, but the price was ridiculous.

I also saw "Rawlplug compound", or at least a modern version of it
recently. A compound-filled paper "coffee filter" that you wet, then
shoved down the hole.

David Lang

Hi Bill
I ask this because a lot of products I buy which need to be fixed on
the wall come with two screws and two "conical" wallplugs.

Rule number one. Unpack product, find screws & plugs supplied, throw in
bin, use some proper ones.

Dave

P.R.Brady

Bill Woods wrote:
Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

[... snipped ...]

I ask this because a lot of products I buy which need to be fixed on
the wall come with two screws and two "conical" wallplugs.

Personally, I can't really see how I drill a snug hole for a conical
plug. In which circumastances I would want to use such a plug? Am I
overlooking a use which this sort of wallplug is designed for?

The end of the cone expands as the screw is put in.
Personally, I think the rolls-royce of wall plugs is the Plasplug. That
plus a matchstick to bulk it up for narrow screws is great.
It has thin fins so it doesn't rotate in the hole, it is flexible enough
to allow some variation in screw size, and works every time for me.
All others seem to bring out my ham fistedness.
Phil

nightjar

"Bill Woods" wrote in message
Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

An off-cut of wood trimmed to fit with a Swiss Army knife, hammered in until
the bit sticking out seriously starts to mushroom and finally chiselled off
flush with the wall.

Colin Bignell

John Rumm

Bill Woods wrote:

Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

(1) a plastic wallplug which looks like a sort of cylinder (and looks
parallel when seen in profile).

For example:
http://www.chard-design.co.uk/images/plastic_plugs.gif

That is what I use mostly... (they still taper a little)

I ask this because a lot of products I buy which need to be fixed on
the wall come with two screws and two "conical" wallplugs.

Personally, I can't really see how I drill a snug hole for a conical
plug. In which circumastances I would want to use such a plug? Am I
overlooking a use which this sort of wallplug is designed for?

It is actually quite difficult to drill a hole that is not slightly
tapered - any latteral movement on the body of the drill as you sink the
hole will tend to widen the mouth of the hole a bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

I just use whatevers to hand, whatever fits. They all seem to work ok,
whatever theyre made of, whatever shape.

Some are less tolerant than others though, some are fine with a wide
range of screws, some it has to be just right or they dont bite enough.
The onse with a non-split round outer are fussier.

Slice the flange off another wallplug and shove that in afterwards.

thats what i do with soft walls. Its remarkable how much of a problem a
0.25mm flange is, the slice off is essential. The screw sizes can be
completely ignored, I've happily used decent size screws on the
smallest of plugs. The final size is going to be plug wall width +
screw size minus a bit of compression, regardless of what the plug
designer thinks.

I also saw "Rawlplug compound", or at least a modern version of it
recently. A compound-filled paper "coffee filter" that you wet, then
shoved down the hole.

how do those work? do they expand when wet, and fill the hole? I coudnt
see how shoving a bit of paper down the hole could work.

Rule number one. Unpack product, find screws & plugs supplied, throw

in
bin, use some proper ones.

and wonder how they ever thought that 5kg could be supported on 2x 1"
scerws that dont even get through the plaster... what delusional people
pick those screws? Have they been had for personal injury claims yet?

An off-cut of wood trimmed to fit with a Swiss Army knife, hammered in

until
the bit sticking out seriously starts to mushroom and finally

chiselled off
flush with the wall.

Thin dowel is workable too. For folks that cant get by without the old
long sticks, those work quite well. Pine dowel is a bit softer but its
still pretty good. Not as easy to trim as a matchstick though.

When I was plugging 6" coach screws I had to use wood and knife, never
seen ready made plugs that size. I suppose I could have sawn off the
end of the broom handle and used that.

Do those 15' screws come with rawlplugs?

NT

fred

In article , Andy Dingley
writes
I also saw "Rawlplug compound", or at least a modern version of it
recently. A compound-filled paper "coffee filter" that you wet, then
shoved down the hole.

Recently found some of the old stuff in my dad's shed, ingredients:
Asbestos Fibre 100%, I remember him mixing it with a gob of spit in his
hand when making fixings, ah, those were the coughcoughspit
days :-)
--
fred
Goedjn

Recently found some of the old stuff in my dad's shed, ingredients:
Asbestos Fibre 100%, I remember him mixing it with a gob of spit in his
hand when making fixings, ah, those were the coughcoughspit
days :-)

And what did he die of? I'll bet it wasn't lung cancer.

--Goedjn

Homer2911

Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

An off-cut of wood trimmed to fit with a Swiss Army knife, hammered in
until
the bit sticking out seriously starts to mushroom and finally chiselled
off
flush with the wall.

Colin Bignell

I'm with Colin, particularly where a heavy load is concerned - a good
plug of wood, tight enough in the hole to require hammering in with a
degree of force, will hold anything!