nick smith

Default Gas hob instal query

Looking to replace a gas cooker with a gas hob and electric cooker underneath.
There is the usual bayonet fitting on the wall and the gas hob above but I
think the regs now require a rigid fixing, unless someone tells me otherwise.
probably not a good idea to install a rubber hose above a cooker anyway, even
if one were available.
Questions a
1) What do the regs of today require ?.
2) What parts are needed ?
3) Can I utilise the bayonet fitting or does that have to be changed ?

Thanks,

Nick

Oliver

Not sure on 2 and 3 but you do need to fix the hob with a rigid pipe. To be
honest get someone out to do it its a fiddly job working in a cupboard to
run the pipe to the hob. It only cost me £40 to get a corgi bloke out to do
it.
"nick smith" wrote in message
Looking to replace a gas cooker with a gas hob and electric cooker
underneath.
There is the usual bayonet fitting on the wall and the gas hob above but I
think the regs now require a rigid fixing, unless someone tells me
otherwise.
probably not a good idea to install a rubber hose above a cooker anyway,
even
if one were available.
Questions a
1) What do the regs of today require ?.
2) What parts are needed ?
3) Can I utilise the bayonet fitting or does that have to be changed ?

Thanks,

Nick

Lobster

nick smith wrote:
Looking to replace a gas cooker with a gas hob and electric cooker underneath.
There is the usual bayonet fitting on the wall and the gas hob above but I
think the regs now require a rigid fixing, unless someone tells me otherwise.
probably not a good idea to install a rubber hose above a cooker anyway, even
if one were available.
Questions a
1) What do the regs of today require ?.
2) What parts are needed ?
3) Can I utilise the bayonet fitting or does that have to be changed ?

All covered in detail in the excellent Gas fitting faq at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

David
tarquinlinbin

On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:39:29 GMT, "nick smith"
wrote:

Looking to replace a gas cooker with a gas hob and electric cooker underneath.
There is the usual bayonet fitting on the wall and the gas hob above but I
think the regs now require a rigid fixing, unless someone tells me otherwise.
probably not a good idea to install a rubber hose above a cooker anyway, even
if one were available.
Questions a
1) What do the regs of today require ?.
2) What parts are needed ?
3) Can I utilise the bayonet fitting or does that have to be changed ?

Thanks,

Nick

You have to be CORGI registered to do this ....!!(duck-only
trolling...sigh)
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 12 May 2005 17:22:32 +0000, Lobster wrote:

nick smith wrote:
Looking to replace a gas cooker with a gas hob and electric cooker underneath.
There is the usual bayonet fitting on the wall and the gas hob above but I
think the regs now require a rigid fixing, unless someone tells me otherwise.
probably not a good idea to install a rubber hose above a cooker anyway, even
if one were available.
Questions a
1) What do the regs of today require ?.
2) What parts are needed ?
3) Can I utilise the bayonet fitting or does that have to be changed ?

All covered in detail in the excellent Gas fitting faq at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

Thanks for the link, but the FAQ is not a comprehensive as I would like.
If it were detailed enough then it would likely have to incorporate most
of BS 6172.

If your level of competence is such that you are viewing the reuse of a
the flexible hose as 'more within your grasp' than installing rigid
pipework then, frankly, with all due respect you are not really up to the
job and should get some help in.

OldBill

wrote:

Looking to replace a gas cooker with a gas hob and electric cooker underneath.
There is the usual bayonet fitting on the wall and the gas hob above but I
think the regs now require a rigid fixing, unless someone tells me otherwise.
probably not a good idea to install a rubber hose above a cooker anyway, even
if one were available.
Questions a
1) What do the regs of today require ?.
2) What parts are needed ?
3) Can I utilise the bayonet fitting or does that have to be changed ?

Thanks,

Nick

You have to be CORGI registered to do this ....!!(duck-only trolling...sigh)

Please give link to regulation that says this is so

Panasonic TX28 Widescreen Query... Alison Hannah Electronics Repair 2 February 10th 05 07:00 PM
Earth Bonding Query. Pet UK diy 12 July 20th 04 05:01 PM
2 Electrics query Jethro UK diy 14 July 12th 04 12:40 AM
Query about the fluing options of a W-B Greenstar Rhys UK diy 4 June 22nd 04 04:04 PM
Bathroom fan wiring query (sorry!) Lobster UK diy 3 May 12th 04 09:29 PM