wendyjon

Default Baxi Solo 3 PF fan replacement

Hi all,
The fan motor has burnt out on my Baxi Solo 3. (240V across motor, no
movement!) I can't see how to remove the fan assembly though. The picture on
the Baxi website shows three "screws" but on my model they're studs, and the
one at the back seems completely inaccessable.
http://www.baxi.co.uk/literature/pdf...FL/5106276.pdf (page 40)

Does anyone know how to remove the fan assembly?

Thanks!

Jon.

Set Square

wendyjon wrote:

Hi all,
The fan motor has burnt out on my Baxi Solo 3. (240V across motor, no
movement!) I can't see how to remove the fan assembly though. The
picture on the Baxi website shows three "screws" but on my model
they're studs, and the one at the back seems completely inaccessable.
http://www.baxi.co.uk/literature/pdf...FL/5106276.pdf
(page 40)

Does anyone know how to remove the fan assembly?

Thanks!

Jon.

I think that the studs to which you refer hold the motor onto the fan cowl.
However, you have to remove the *assembly* - cowl and all. From the picture
on P40 of the Baxi document, it looks as if the screws in question are
*underneath* the cowl, screwing up into it from below.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

raden

In message , wendyjon
writes
Hi all,
The fan motor has burnt out on my Baxi Solo 3. (240V across motor, no
movement!) I can't see how to remove the fan assembly though. The picture on
the Baxi website shows three "screws" but on my model they're studs, and the
one at the back seems completely inaccessable.
http://www.baxi.co.uk/literature/pdf...FL/5106276.pdf (page 40)

Does anyone know how to remove the fan assembly?

The screws are underneath the impeller housing

I think what you are referring to here are the motor mounting studs

--
geoff
Jon Mason

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:19:22 +0100, "Set Square"

wendyjon wrote:

Hi all,
The fan motor has burnt out on my Baxi Solo 3. (240V across motor, no
Does anyone know how to remove the fan assembly?

I think that the studs to which you refer hold the motor onto the fan cowl.
However, you have to remove the *assembly* - cowl and all. From the picture
on P40 of the Baxi document, it looks as if the screws in question are
*underneath* the cowl, screwing up into it from below.

Yes, I think you're right. But I think I'll need to get another cover
off the boiler to get to the underside of the fan. And to undo the
cover, I'll need to get hold of a set of security screwdriver bits.
Time to call Screwfix!
Thanks for your help!
d.

wendyjon wrote:

Hi all,
The fan motor has burnt out on my Baxi Solo 3. (240V across motor,

no
Does anyone know how to remove the fan assembly?

I think that the studs to which you refer hold the motor onto the

fan cowl.
However, you have to remove the *assembly* - cowl and all. From the

picture
on P40 of the Baxi document, it looks as if the screws in question

are
*underneath* the cowl, screwing up into it from below.

Yes, I think you're right. But I think I'll need to get another cover
off the boiler to get to the underside of the fan. And to undo the
cover, I'll need to get hold of a set of security screwdriver bits.
Time to call Screwfix!
Thanks for your help!

Jon.

If all else fails R.T.F.M.

I would strongly advise you get a Corgi engineer to carry out this
work.

YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO READ VERY CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS, EVEN WITH IDIOT
PICTURES, SO HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO CARRY OUT A JOB WHICH ONLY INVOLVES
UNDOING A TOTAL OF 5 TORX SCREWS. TWO OF WHICH HOLD THE WHITE CASE ON.

If you take off this "other" panel how will you reseal it?

For the sake of your boiler and house get a corgi engineer in now.

david.

Jon Mason

On 2 May 2005 13:41:17 -0700, "d."
wrote:

I would strongly advise you get a Corgi engineer to carry out this
work.

YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO READ VERY CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS, EVEN WITH IDIOT
PICTURES, SO HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO CARRY OUT A JOB WHICH ONLY INVOLVES
UNDOING A TOTAL OF 5 TORX SCREWS. TWO OF WHICH HOLD THE WHITE CASE ON.

If you take off this "other" panel how will you reseal it?

For the sake of your boiler and house get a corgi engineer in now.

david.

David,
Thank you for your wise counsel.

As it happens, I have already had a Corgi-registered engineer to look
at it. His response was "Sorry mate. Don't normally to Baxi's. Have
you got a manual for it?" Then he went through the flowchart to
diagnose the fault that I had already diagnosed. And then he struggled
for a while to figure out how to remove the fan cowling. "Have to
check this one", he said.

I figure if he can do it with no knowledge of this boiler, then so can
I.

Oh, and I have the re-sealing stuff, direct from Baxi.

So set your mind at rest, and go and figure out how to type without
the caps lock on.

Thanks to those who made helpful suggestions.

Jon.
d.

Jon.

I can type with the caps lock off and I can change Baxi fans.

What I was trying to point out to you was, if you read the instructions
the job is so easy. You seem to be making a mountain out of 5 screws.

The row of screws on top of the plate do not have to be removed.

Surprise surprise it all comes out as one piece then undo the fan
screws as per page 40 if you bothered to read it and look at the
pictures.

So you will not need the sealer from Baxi. (I would see If I could get
a refund).

Perhaps you should have asked the Corgi engineer if he had any
knowledge of the boiler when you phoned him.

If he took longer than =BC of an hour to change the fan he should be
ashamed of him self.

If you had read my post you would have got enough information to do the
job, but no you read it the same way as page 40 of the instructions and
did not realise I told you how to do the job.

As a corgi engineer who has changed several of these fans all I can say
is: 2screws 4clips 1 harness 2 pipes and 3screws. Reassemble in
reverse order.

Do not touch the 5 screws.

It is so easy can you now see why I shouted.

David.

raden

In message , Jon Mason
writes
On 2 May 2005 13:41:17 -0700, "d."
wrote:

[...]

He doesn't sound very competent to me

I figure if he can do it with no knowledge of this boiler, then so can
I.

Except that he should be familiar with procedures and should also be
aware of the various safety related factors

Oh, and I have the re-sealing stuff, direct from Baxi.

I've got dozens of tubes of the stuff

If you ARE going to do this yourself, I suggest you post your way
through the flames here if you are in doubt about anything, don't be put
off, but ...Do RTFM

carefully

--
geoff