Boz

Default Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 - stopped working again

Hi,

On Christmas eve my 3 year old Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 boiler stopped working.
The boiler was off, and the only light on display was the "Boiler On" LED
(it is every-so-slightly flickering too).

I tried the following sequence:
- turn off the CH and HW inputs (on the master control in airing cupboard)
- turn the Baxi Solo boiler knob to off
- wait one minute
- turn the knob to desired setting (all lights remain off at this stage)
- turn on the CH and HW inputs.

Only the "Boiler On" light came on again (flickering), but no clicks or
other sounds from the boiler, no fan and no pilot light.

27th December I got an engineer in and I went through the same sequence as
above and it powered on, everything working (typical!) He said it might be
a switch for the fan had got stuck in a position, preventing the power on
sequence working.

It's now a month later and exactly the same thing has happened again. I've
repeated the sequence to no avail.

What's interesting is that this happend 2 years ago (1 year after
installation) and the same engineer had to fix the problem by replacing the
PCB (or maybe it was just a part on the PCB, can't be sure).

I've scanned newsgroups and there appears to be a few similar occurances of
only the "Boiler On" light coming on, so is this a particular failure code
and seeing as this has happened to me before is this a common problem with
Baxi Solo boilers?

Any advice or info would be appreciated. Please note that I'm not an
electrician or plumber but do have a DIY basic understanding of the system.

Regards,

James

raden

In message , Boz
writes
[...]

First check that your overheat stat is short circuit

If you're not getting the fan neon coming on, then you need to check
that

the fan runs (seizing up is a common problem with solo 2 fans)

The pressure switch is working and the resistance of the contacts is
bugger all

The temperature sensor is not open circuit, IIRC it should be about 100k
at room temperature

You have no broken wires

else, it's prolly the pcb

--
geoff
Senior Member

I'm not that familiar with the boiler but most baxi products first duty is to check that the pressure switch has not switched, then it turns on the fan, then it checks if the pressure switch has switched then it moves on through the rest of the sequence, like pump proving, ignition, flame rectification, thermister / modureg interplay and back to the beginning. So if the fan hasn't come on check first the pressure switch then check the fan.
Boz

Well, it's sorted now, can't say I'm 100% sure what I fixed, but here's what
I did:

- turned off CH & HW inputs and boiler thermostat
- removed panel and boiler case
- gave everything a firm tap
- waggled the cables
- spun the plastic fan at the top left of the case
- restarted turned HW input on and boiler thermostat

The boiler went through the start up sequence and lit !! (wow, I ought to be
corgi registered huh?!)

What worried me was that the fan then came loose (like it took off
vertically) and landed on beside it's spindle. I powered it all off again,
pushed the fan on firmly, repeated the startup sequence and the fan spun and
remained in place.

Is this exposed fan linked to the fan LED? Perhaps it was this that got
jammed, hence it working loose.

James

raden

In message , Boz
writes
Well, it's sorted now, can't say I'm 100% sure what I fixed, but here's what
I did:

- turned off CH & HW inputs and boiler thermostat
- removed panel and boiler case
- gave everything a firm tap
- waggled the cables
- spun the plastic fan at the top left of the case
- restarted turned HW input on and boiler thermostat

The boiler went through the start up sequence and lit !! (wow, I ought to be
corgi registered huh?!)

What worried me was that the fan then came loose (like it took off
vertically) and landed on beside it's spindle. I powered it all off again,
pushed the fan on firmly, repeated the startup sequence and the fan spun and
remained in place.

Is this exposed fan linked to the fan LED? Perhaps it was this that got
jammed, hence it working loose.

Email fixed now ...

Talking about the little plastic fan on top of the shaft?

I wouldn't have thought it would have had anything to catch on

--
geoff

Baxi Solo 3 Andy Pandy UK diy 14 January 12th 05 09:11 PM
Baxi Solo Problem [email protected] UK diy 13 January 7th 05 10:08 AM
Luminglas stopped working Sam Goldwasser Electronics Repair 3 October 30th 04 09:03 PM
electric oven stopped working Haroon Electronics Repair 5 July 21st 03 04:42 AM