Sam Goldwasser

Default Luminglas stopped working

(ShadowTek) writes:

I have a 12" blue luminglas the just stop working a while back.
In case you don't know what I'm refering to, (It's those cool
lightning disk things that they have above the Borg
recepticals/personal recharge stations in Star Trek. They react to
sound or just flash visible electrical pulses to fixed settings.) the
following URL has the product image and description from their
website.
http://www.cyi.net/result.cfm?code=q014
It was working just fine up until one day, when I tried to turn it on,
it just wouldn't work at all.
It was being used in a standard 110 wall receptical without a surge
protecter.
It sat securely on a shelf out of the way so I dont think any form of
impact trama had anything to do with it.
I tested the 12V output transformer (that came with it) and it was
putting out 16V according to my analog multimeter.
Is the 16V output a possible cause of the problem or is that
acceptable?
I don't really know much at all that much about electronics so I have
no idea myself.
I resistance tested from the power input reciever (or whatever you
call it where the tranformer cord plugs in) to a bare wire where the
one wire from the circuit board and all that are twisted in with the
one wire that comes right out of the back of the glass and read 4
ohms.
Is that normal?
I have no idea what to do or how to work on circuit board stuff but I
have an analog multimeter and some free time so I would like to try
what I can.
I got this as a christmas gift but I hear its like $100 so it would be
worth it to fix.
I took a picture of the circuit board as it lay disasembled on my
table so maybe that will help somehow.
http://www.gameroom.com/shadowtek/20...it%20Board.zip
(Its a jpg file but my web server wouldn't allow me to upload it like
that for some reason.)
By the way, if in your response, you refer to stuff on the circuit
board please call it the red thing or the yellow thing ect. since that
will help the most lol.

The power supply is a high voltage inverter. Most likely problems would be
in the power transistor(s) (check for shorts - very likely it's dead) or the
HV transformer. Given your level of expertise, finding a replacement for
the power supply would probably be the best bet.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

James Sweet

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
om...
[...]

16v is perfectly normal for a 12v transformer with no load. Electronics
quite often just fail for no apparent reason, especially cheaply made stuff
like the power supply in your unit. I would look carefully for cracked
solder joints as I've fixed a few of those cheap Chinese made neon
sculptures that had that problem, otherwise you'll need some electronic
troubleshooting skills and at least a multimeter to fix it.

Lightning

I read about your problem. I have a 16" green one that is impossible to
find. I called the manufacturer today (Can You Imagine), they no longer
make the size I have nor do they sell just the black box located on the
back of it. I have had mine for about 3 years and it works sporatically. I
believe it is in the switch that turns it on and off, I will be taking it
apart tomorrow to find out. I did find a website that sells the black
boxes for all sizes for $30.00,it is made by the same company that made
ours. If I discover that I can not fix the switch I will be ordering a new
box. Yes they run around $100, the one I have cost the person who gave it
to me $175.00, so I am definately going to fix it. The website that has
the boxes is: www.strattman.com. They have some AWESOME custom made stuff
that I wont even dare to call them and ask for the price. Good luck, I
hope you get yours working becuase they are definately very cool to look
at.

James Sweet

"Lightning" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
[...]

I doubt it's the switch, more likely a bad solder joint on the circuit
board.