Steve

Default Replacing grout in floor tiles

Out of complete stupidity I layed a dark grey slate floor over a year ago
and grouted it with white grout. Being in a kitchen its quickly discoloured
and now looks bloody awful.
I want to remove all the old grout and redo it with grey grout which won`t
show up all the crap. What is the best way of doing this given that the
grout lines are between 0.5 and 1cm ? - its also a large area (approx 20m2)
so its going to be a back breaking job :-(

Steve

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Out of complete stupidity I layed a dark grey slate floor over a year ago
and grouted it with white grout. Being in a kitchen its quickly discoloured
and now looks bloody awful.
I want to remove all the old grout and redo it with grey grout which won`t
show up all the crap. What is the best way of doing this given that the
grout lines are between 0.5 and 1cm ? - its also a large area (approx 20m2)
so its going to be a back breaking job :-(

Steve

Hello Steve

Have you tried a Carbide grout scraper , its a tool for this type of job,your local tile shop should sell them (you may want to get some cushioned kneepads while your at it ,lol)

Mr Jingles
The Natural Philosopher

Steve wrote:

Out of complete stupidity I layed a dark grey slate floor over a year ago
and grouted it with white grout. Being in a kitchen its quickly discoloured
and now looks bloody awful.
I want to remove all the old grout and redo it with grey grout which won`t
show up all the crap. What is the best way of doing this given that the
grout lines are between 0.5 and 1cm ? - its also a large area (approx 20m2)
so its going to be a back breaking job :-(

Steve

(i) the grey still shows the crap: Use a scrubbing brush.

(ii) slosh brick acid all over it. That may dissolve enough grout to
enable regrouting.

Otherwise you are screwed., Grout NEVER comes off slates, except when
its really awkward to replace. Then it falls out all by itself.

--
Mr Jingles

Isn't there a drill attachment to remove grout - I'm sure I saw something
ages ago for a dremmel.

Just a thought.

Dave

Junior Member

Hi
Dremal do an attachement but OMG it would take a week to do ,this scraper is like a stanley knife but its got a Carbide blade ,its a back breaking job but it does break up the grout

Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Repair 10 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Paint...options? djay Home Repair 6 March 13th 05 05:29 PM
Replacing cracked grout [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 25th 05 06:24 PM
tool for prying old grout out? peter Home Repair 4 March 2nd 04 07:06 AM