DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing grout in floor tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/103616-replacing-grout-floor-tiles.html)

Steve April 20th 05 01:10 PM

Replacing grout in floor tiles

Out of complete stupidity I layed a dark grey slate floor over a year ago
and grouted it with white grout. Being in a kitchen its quickly discoloured
and now looks bloody awful.
I want to remove all the old grout and redo it with grey grout which won`t
show up all the crap. What is the best way of doing this given that the
grout lines are between 0.5 and 1cm ? - its also a large area (approx 20m2)
so its going to be a back breaking job :-(

Steve

Mr Jingles April 20th 05 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
Out of complete stupidity I layed a dark grey slate floor over a year ago
and grouted it with white grout. Being in a kitchen its quickly discoloured
and now looks bloody awful.
I want to remove all the old grout and redo it with grey grout which won`t
show up all the crap. What is the best way of doing this given that the
grout lines are between 0.5 and 1cm ? - its also a large area (approx 20m2)
so its going to be a back breaking job :-(

Steve

Hello Steve

Have you tried a Carbide grout scraper , its a tool for this type of job,your local tile shop should sell them (you may want to get some cushioned kneepads while your at it ,lol)

Mr Jingles

The Natural Philosopher April 20th 05 08:31 PM

Steve wrote:

Out of complete stupidity I layed a dark grey slate floor over a year ago
and grouted it with white grout. Being in a kitchen its quickly discoloured
and now looks bloody awful.
I want to remove all the old grout and redo it with grey grout which won`t
show up all the crap. What is the best way of doing this given that the
grout lines are between 0.5 and 1cm ? - its also a large area (approx 20m2)
so its going to be a back breaking job :-(

Steve

(i) the grey still shows the crap: Use a scrubbing brush.

(ii) slosh brick acid all over it. That may dissolve enough grout to
enable regrouting.

Otherwise you are screwed., Grout NEVER comes off slates, except when
its really awkward to replace. Then it falls out all by itself.

d April 21st 05 12:44 AM

--
Mr Jingles

Isn't there a drill attachment to remove grout - I'm sure I saw something
ages ago for a dremmel.

Just a thought.

Dave

Mr Jingles April 21st 05 06:39 PM

Hi
Dremal do an attachement but OMG it would take a week to do ,this scraper is like a stanley knife but its got a Carbide blade ,its a back breaking job but it does break up the grout