Furby

Default Dycon DC01 replacement

Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and Henrys,
been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01, been great for he
abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his world, appear to be no
blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to confirm). There is now a lot
of heat being thrown out and the small of very hot motor.
What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will
not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the
ball as yet still too expensive.

Thanks

Biggles

Furby wrote:
Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and Henrys,
been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01, been great for he
abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his world, appear to be no
blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to confirm). There is now a lot
of heat being thrown out and the small of very hot motor.
What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will
not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the
ball as yet still too expensive.

Thanks

DC07 - 2 claims under warranty, one for lack of suction (surely not on a
Dyson?) and smelling of overheating (there were no visible blockages).
This was caused by roughness on the casting of the internal cyclone
thingies, apparently a production quality issue. Replacing the whole bin
unit solved the problem and while they were at it they slipped in a fat
rubber washer behind the filter, I assume to stop crap getting sucked
past the filter into the motor. The second claim was a few months later
when the motor fried itself, possibly due to overheating caused by the
previous blockage, and maybe due to crap being sucked past the filter
:-) The motor was replaced.

Since then though, it has been brilliant. I recently had to replace the
flexi-hose underneath it, but that was easy and cheap. I'd be dubious
about buying one of the latest models though, because you may get the
same sort of production quality problems until they iron them out.

The turbo brush accessory is magic for doing the car.

Biggles
Remove packaging. before e-mailing me

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Furby" writes:
Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and Henrys,
been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01, been great for he
abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his world, appear to be no
blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to confirm). There is now a lot
of heat being thrown out and the small of very hot motor.
What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will
not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the
ball as yet still too expensive.

We've got 3 DC07's in the family now, as family members visiting
have been very impressed when they've seen them, and a DC04 (which
is the predecessor of the DC07). None of the DC07's have ever had
any fault. The only fault on the DC04 was mine -- I dropped a vice
on the cuff on the end of the hose and it broke. Dyson sent me a
new hose FOC, even though I told them it was my fault. Actually,
since the DC04 has only ever been used for building work during
its 5 year life (which wasn't actually what it was bought for),
I think it's doing extremely well. The only obvious sign is that
the dust canister is sand-blasted on the inside from sucking up
brick dust and rubble, and there's the odd dollop of plaster and
cement stuck to the casing, which I could probably chip off.

All the machines were purchased for at least £100 less than the
normal price, just by keeping an eye out for special offers and
closing down sales. I wouldn't buy one at full price. You might
now start to see offers on the DC07, as I believe it's being
replaced with something like a DC14 (not sure if I got that number
right). If you're not in a hurry, it really pays to just keep an
eye out for a good offer for some time rather than rushing in and
buying the first one you see.

--
Andrew GabrieL

soup

Furby popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and
Henrys, been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01,
been great for he abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his
world, appear to be no blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to
confirm). There is now a lot of heat being thrown out and the small
of very hot motor.
What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO
will not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't
fancy the ball as yet still too expensive.

Thanks

We had a DC01 it was magic, got a DC07 wasn't
so impressed by that nothing you could put your
finger on just a "Friday" machine.
We have now got a Bosch (bagless, HEPA filters
etc, all for less than £130) and it is like the DC01 was
at first, don't know what you will do though as your
wife insists on a Dyson [1] You may want to explain
about paying for the name as Dyson couldn't (AFAIK)
patent the actual cyclone so the technology is used in
other machines,he has got patents on just about everything
else to do with his machine.
Ask in uk.diy for opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners

[1] Buying by name alone isn't a good idea as we
recently bought a Philips set top box (Digibox)
wife insisted we use Philips as she liked the company
and it was British (yes I know it's Dutch (?) but it used
to be British) had to return that as it wasn't working
properly bought a Daewoo box (Japanese) and it seemed
to work as advertised.

--
yours S

PhilÅ

Furby

I have done a great deal of industrial cleaning with my DC01..

I have a DC01 going strong and a DC04 working great..

I know there are loads of DC04 limes going for around £120..

This ebay seller

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZdivo797

selling (assumed refurbs) for around £50

"Furby" writes:
[...]

soup

soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Furby popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
said

Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and
models, don't fancy the ball as yet still too expensive.

We had a DC01 it was magic, got a DC07 wasn't
to work as advertised.

Oops brainfa** this IS uk.diy just ignore that bit

--
yours S

PhilÅ

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Furby

I have done a great deal of industrial cleaning with my DC01..

I have a DC01 going strong and a DC04 working great..

I know there are loads of DC04 limes going for around £120..

This ebay seller

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZdivo797

selling (assumed refurbs) for around £50

And they are going quick as B-I-N so don't moan at me if they have all gone
when you go a looking.

Doctor Evil

"soup" wrote in message
k...

[1] Buying by name alone isn't a good idea as we
recently bought a Philips set top box (Digibox)
wife insisted we use Philips as she liked the company
and it was British (yes I know it's Dutch (?) but it used
to be British)

It never was. They had a factory here.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"soup" writes:
We had a DC01 it was magic, got a DC07 wasn't
so impressed by that nothing you could put your
finger on just a "Friday" machine.
We have now got a Bosch (bagless, HEPA filters
etc, all for less than £130) and it is like the DC01 was
at first, don't know what you will do though as your
wife insists on a Dyson [1] You may want to explain
about paying for the name as Dyson couldn't (AFAIK)
patent the actual cyclone so the technology is used in

You are right that cyclones had been around for years,
as industrial filters and separators. They were large
things though -- probably the smallest was the size of
a dustbin and the bigger they are, the better they work.
His patents covered the advances necessary to make a
cyclone much smaller than had been done before, and to
filter much better too. The principle patent is the use
of a dual cyclone (which must be on the virge of expiring
I would think), but there are many others too, some
relating to the cyclone, others are unrelated to that
part of the technology.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Wade

soup wrote:

wife insisted we use Philips as she liked the company
and it was British (yes I know it's Dutch (?) but it used
to be British)

Philips has always been Dutch:
http://www.philips.com/about/company/history/
but with a strong presence in the UK through Philips Industries, Mullard
and Pye, etc.

properly bought a Daewoo box (Japanese) and it seemed
to work as advertised.

Daewoo is Korean, not Japanese, but if you mean the SetPal box, that was
designed in the UK and made in Ireland.

--
Andy
The Natural Philosopher

PhilÅ wrote:

limes going for around £120..

seems expensive for a fruit.

they are only 30p at Tescos.
John Rumm

Furby wrote:

What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will
not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the
ball as yet still too expensive.

Just added a DC14 Animal to augment our ageing DC01 Absolute. Having
added a third layer to the house we decided it was time to add another
vacuum to save carting it up and down stairs all the time.

The Dysons seem to be one of the few we tried that will really shift pet
hair out of carpets (we have a Dalmatian, which sheds copious amounts of
short, stiff, barbed hairs all over the place that work their way into
carpets and fabric).

The DC01 makes a very good job of carpets due to the effectiveness of
its brush action as much as anything else - it does not have huge
suction. The DC14 Animal however has quite prodigious suction to go
with the effective brush action.

All in all I am very impressed with the Animal so far - the turbo brush
add on it great for stairs and cars. I found the design of the DC01
suffers from a little "clunkiness" at times (as you would expect for
being one of the first products to market I suppose). With the DC14 (and
most of the later models I presume) these seem to have been designed out.

--
Cheers,

John.

soup

Andy Wade popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
said
soup wrote:

wife insisted we use Philips as she liked the company
and it was British (yes I know it's Dutch (?) but it used
to be British)

Philips has always been Dutch:
http://www.philips.com/about/company/history/
but with a strong presence in the UK through Philips Industries,
Mullard and Pye, etc.

Yes but wife has it in her head that this is/was a British company
(probably cos' her mum told her that)

properly bought a Daewoo box (Japanese) and it seemed
to work as advertised.

Daewoo is Korean, not Japanese, but if you mean the SetPal box, that
was designed in the UK and made in Ireland.

Mea Culpa
My loose speech showing through I tend to lump all countries from
that part of the world together Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia ,
Philipines, et al.

--
yours S

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andy Wade
writes

Daewoo is Korean, not Japanese, but if you mean the SetPal box, that was
designed in the UK and made in Ireland.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but do you know how to get support for it?
I have a Daewoo Setpal box with early firmware; it has a couple of
problems and it doesn't seem to want to pick up software updates off the
air. I can't get a reply from setpal.com or Daewoo.

--
..braincells on vacation
(Fat Freddy's Cat gets his revenge)

Paul Giverin

In message , Furby
writes
Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and Henrys,
been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01, been great for he
abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his world, appear to be no
blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to confirm). There is now a lot
of heat being thrown out and the small of very hot motor.
What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will
not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the
ball as yet still too expensive.

Thanks

We've just bought our second DC05 from :-

http://www.coscodirect.com/acatalog/ @ £120

Our first one is still going strong but has been relegated to car
cleaning duties.

--
Paul Giverin

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but do you know how to get support for it?
I have a Daewoo Setpal box with early firmware; it has a couple of
problems and it doesn't seem to want to pick up software updates off the
air. I can't get a reply from setpal.com or Daewoo.

Scratch that. Just checked the box and it quietly updated itself to the
latest firmware without telling me last week

--
..braincells on vacation
(Fat Freddy's Cat gets his revenge)

Joe

soup wrote:
Andy Wade popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
said

Philips has always been Dutch:
http://www.philips.com/about/company/history/
but with a strong presence in the UK through Philips Industries,
Mullard and Pye, etc.

Yes but wife has it in her head that this is/was a British company
(probably cos' her mum told her that)

It owned Pye for a long time, before dropping the brand.
The Natural Philosopher

Joe wrote:
soup wrote:

Andy Wade popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
said

Philips has always been Dutch:
http://www.philips.com/about/company/history/
but with a strong presence in the UK through Philips Industries,
Mullard and Pye, etc.

Yes but wife has it in her head that this is/was a British company
(probably cos' her mum told her that)

It owned Pye for a long time, before dropping the brand.

Along with Ferguson and, i think grundig...maybe not grundig.
Rick

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:47:23 +0100, "Furby"
wrote:

Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and Henrys,
been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01, been great for he
abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his world, appear to be no
blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to confirm). There is now a lot
of heat being thrown out and the small of very hot motor.
What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will
not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out.
Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the
ball as yet still too expensive.

Thanks

I have a DC01, now in use in a workshop, takes a lot of abuse, still
works fine.

Since then we have had, and killed a DC04 at home, in the house. Its
been replaced with a hover I picked up in Switzerland, which cost me a
tenner. SHMBO says the cheep one is much better, me - I'd have the
DC01.

Rick