Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Interior Door Replacement

We just fixed up our 70's era house and everthing is great except for
these ugly dark brown construction grade flat slab interior doors all
around our house.

I was determined to spend the time, per some articles I read on the
internet, on using each door as a template to triming a replacement
door, but then I read on one web site (askthebuilder.com) that "some
home centers now have specialized milling machines to manufacture a
replacement door from your original door") I'm paraphrasing a bit but
that was the basic idea.

Anyway, I called all the Philadelphia area window/door retailers as
well as a lumberyard and when I asked about such a machine they
basically figured I was crazy or something.

Has anyone heard of such a machine at a home center? Otherwise, I'm
stuck with the prospect of cobbling together 9 replacement interior
doors manually.

We have lots of little ones, and as such we are not looking for fancy
doors. I was simply hoping to replace these 30 year old cheap looking
hollow core doors with some newer, paneled, cheap hollow core doors.

On 10 Feb 2005 11:44:28 -0800, someone wrote:

I was determined to spend the time, per some articles I read on the
internet, on using each door as a template to triming a replacement
door, but then I read on one web site (askthebuilder.com) that "some
home centers now have specialized milling machines to manufacture a
replacement door from your original door") I'm paraphrasing a bit but
that was the basic idea.

Uhhh - what is so special about your interior doors that they require
custom millwork???? If its indeed a regular cheap house and regular
cheap doors, I'd expect them to be one of the several standard sizes -
are you saying they are not?

Then it is merely basic carpentry to sand or cut down a standard door
fractionally so that it fits into an existing opening that may have a
slight irregularity.

Did I miss where you posted why custom doors were needed here? Cuz
otherwise it sounds like you are making this way more complicated than
it actually is. To change one hollow door for another is usually
pretty basic - done all the time when they get damaged and stoved in -
and landlords don't usually buy custom doors for their low end
tenants!

???

John/Charleston

On 10 Feb 2005 11:44:28 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of such a set-up being available at a millwork, but
learning to hang a door properly isn't so hard. If you choose to do
it yourself, get a good book (from the library perhaps) to guide you
along the way. Using the old door as a template is usually not a good
idea.
Another alternative is to buy pre-hung doors (add $50 per door?) which
are much easier to install.
Either way, start with the least important door first.....

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:28:43 GMT, someone wrote:

I agree with previous poster- I'd also price out prehung doors.

I disagree with that, since then he has demolition of the old door
FRAME, casings, etc., rather than than just unscrewing the old doors
from their hinges. It will be much more expensive and a LOT more
work. He could also easily damage the adjacent wall surfaces as he
demolishes the old frames.

Tear out already existant casings and frames in order not to have to
put in the hinges or lockset? That's nuts!!! You are taking on more
extra work than you are saving. The hinges can be cut in with simple
hand tools, hammer & chisel, not even any power tools needed. Done it
before myself.

The locksets can be done with a hand drill and commonly available
hole saw bits, and a little chisel work. Again, been there done that.

To trim up the door a little (if things are not exactly square) a belt
sander is helpful though you could do small amounts with a sanding
block by hand.

If he can't do it, a carpenter or even a "handyman" should be able to
change the slabs out, without needing to do a demolition first.

John/Charleston

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:10:22 GMT, (v) wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:28:43 GMT, someone wrote:

I agree with previous poster- I'd also price out prehung doors.

I disagree with that, since then he has demolition of the old door
FRAME, casings, etc., rather than than just unscrewing the old doors
from their hinges. It will be much more expensive and a LOT more
work. He could also easily damage the adjacent wall surfaces as he
demolishes the old frames.

Tear out already existant casings and frames in order not to have to
put in the hinges or lockset? That's nuts!!! You are taking on more
extra work than you are saving. The hinges can be cut in with simple
hand tools, hammer & chisel, not even any power tools needed. Done it
before myself.

Glad to hear you've done it before yourself. I'm 49 and have been a
carpenter all my working life. I've done both versions many times.
In my professional opinion (and that of every other carpenter I know)
pre-hung door units are much easier to install.
That said, it still might not be the best route depending on trim/wall
finishes, whether repainting is going to happen anyway, etc. I was
merely suggesting another choice.

The locksets can be done with a hand drill and commonly available
hole saw bits, and a little chisel work. Again, been there done that.

To trim up the door a little (if things are not exactly square) a belt
sander is helpful though you could do small amounts with a sanding
block by hand.

If he can't do it, a carpenter or even a "handyman" should be able to
change the slabs out, without needing to do a demolition first.

I charge far more to hang a new door in an old frame than to hang a
pre-hung door.

Alan Sung

"v" wrote in message
[...]

Most standard door slabs are 6'8". On the newer hollow core 6-panel ones,
the strip of solid wood on the top and bottom is not very tall. If you cut
off more than an inch or two from either end, you'll be in the hollow part
of the door. One thing you can do is take the piece cut off and use a table
saw to rip the masonite parts off, then glue the wood strip back into the
hollow part. A bit time consuming though.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:27:01 -0500, someone wrote:

Glad to hear you've done it before yourself. I'm 49 and have been a
carpenter all my working life. I've done both versions many times.
In my professional opinion (and that of every other carpenter I know)
pre-hung door units are much easier to install.
That said, it still might not be the best route depending on trim/wall
finishes, whether repainting is going to happen anyway, etc. I was
merely suggesting another choice.

No argument with your own experience. As a former landlord who did
his own basic maintenance, I have indeed changed out damaged doors
from time to time. Also routinely installed locksets. Since I only
did it sporadically, I didn't have all the time saving specialized
tools that a professional carpenter might - just the basic ones. I
didn't think it was that big a deal to do this kind of work.

I charge far more to hang a new door in an old frame than to hang a
pre-hung door.

Do you also do the demo, does your price include the materials, what
about drywall repair, painting, etc. - would that be by you or would
that be a different tradesman? Not trying to ream you, and you did
acknowledge these were issues. I'd agree that to hang a pe-hung unit
in a bare rough opening only takes minutes - that's why they make
them. I think its a closer Q when its already a finished space with a
cased door in place, and the cost of the unit plus the replacement
casings, plus the demolition effort is added in.

I'm thinking that OP perhaps has the whole rest of the place decorated
to their liking, now just leaving the doors. I am not confident of a
DIY's ability to demo the old casings and frame without nicking the
walls. Then they will be posting here about how to repair drywall
(also something I have had reason to do MANY MANY times) which seems
to really frighten a lot of DIY's (who will go to great lengths not to
disturb sheetrock whereas someone more experienced will just cut an
access or exploratory hole with few qualms because its "only"
drywall...)

Well, either way. Opinions like a-h's, everybody has one and its
always the other guy's that stinks!

;-)

lenny fackler

v wrote:
[...]

I recently replaced a closet door using a plain door. It fit perfectly
so it was a fairly simple job. It would've been much more work to take
out the old frame and install a prehung, not to mention a waste of good
material.

John/Charleston

On 15 Feb 2005 09:41:46 -0800, "lenny fackler"
wrote:

v wrote:
[...]

Yep, sometimes that's the case and sometimes it's not. That was my
point when I called it "Another alternative"...