Alan Sung

"v" wrote in message
On 10 Feb 2005 11:44:28 -0800, someone wrote:

I was determined to spend the time, per some articles I read on the
internet, on using each door as a template to triming a replacement
door, but then I read on one web site (askthebuilder.com) that "some
home centers now have specialized milling machines to manufacture a
replacement door from your original door") I'm paraphrasing a bit but
that was the basic idea.

Uhhh - what is so special about your interior doors that they require
custom millwork???? If its indeed a regular cheap house and regular
cheap doors, I'd expect them to be one of the several standard sizes -
are you saying they are not?

Then it is merely basic carpentry to sand or cut down a standard door
fractionally so that it fits into an existing opening that may have a
slight irregularity.

Did I miss where you posted why custom doors were needed here? Cuz
otherwise it sounds like you are making this way more complicated than
it actually is. To change one hollow door for another is usually
pretty basic - done all the time when they get damaged and stoved in -
and landlords don't usually buy custom doors for their low end
tenants!

Most standard door slabs are 6'8". On the newer hollow core 6-panel ones,
the strip of solid wood on the top and bottom is not very tall. If you cut
off more than an inch or two from either end, you'll be in the hollow part
of the door. One thing you can do is take the piece cut off and use a table
saw to rip the masonite parts off, then glue the wood strip back into the
hollow part. A bit time consuming though.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA