John/Charleston

On 10 Feb 2005 11:44:28 -0800, wrote:

We just fixed up our 70's era house and everthing is great except for
these ugly dark brown construction grade flat slab interior doors all
around our house.

I was determined to spend the time, per some articles I read on the
internet, on using each door as a template to triming a replacement
door, but then I read on one web site (askthebuilder.com) that "some
home centers now have specialized milling machines to manufacture a
replacement door from your original door") I'm paraphrasing a bit but
that was the basic idea.

Anyway, I called all the Philadelphia area window/door retailers as
well as a lumberyard and when I asked about such a machine they
basically figured I was crazy or something.

Has anyone heard of such a machine at a home center? Otherwise, I'm
stuck with the prospect of cobbling together 9 replacement interior
doors manually.

We have lots of little ones, and as such we are not looking for fancy
doors. I was simply hoping to replace these 30 year old cheap looking
hollow core doors with some newer, paneled, cheap hollow core doors.

I've never heard of such a set-up being available at a millwork, but
learning to hang a door properly isn't so hard. If you choose to do
it yourself, get a good book (from the library perhaps) to guide you
along the way. Using the old door as a template is usually not a good
idea.
Another alternative is to buy pre-hung doors (add $50 per door?) which
are much easier to install.
Either way, start with the least important door first.....