On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:28:43 GMT, someone wrote:

I agree with previous poster- I'd also price out prehung doors.

I disagree with that, since then he has demolition of the old door
FRAME, casings, etc., rather than than just unscrewing the old doors
from their hinges. It will be much more expensive and a LOT more
work. He could also easily damage the adjacent wall surfaces as he
demolishes the old frames.

Tear out already existant casings and frames in order not to have to
put in the hinges or lockset? That's nuts!!! You are taking on more
extra work than you are saving. The hinges can be cut in with simple
hand tools, hammer & chisel, not even any power tools needed. Done it
before myself.

The locksets can be done with a hand drill and commonly available
hole saw bits, and a little chisel work. Again, been there done that.

To trim up the door a little (if things are not exactly square) a belt
sander is helpful though you could do small amounts with a sanding
block by hand.

If he can't do it, a carpenter or even a "handyman" should be able to
change the slabs out, without needing to do a demolition first.