Guttorm Christensen

Default What's the price of a pressure regulating valve?

Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure regulating
valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a price of £120-£180
for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Long story;

The last six or so months, my Keston 80 boiler that runs both the
central heating and the hot water supply has broken down twice. First
time I got the plumbers out (apologies if they're not really plumbers,
they were recommended by Keston and they do servicing of this boiler)
and they changed the air filter and reset the boiler. Apparently it
had locked out because of overheating.

Second time around the same happened, the boiler would not ignite and
I lost hot water and heating. The same plumbers came around only to
press a button (or something) explaining it had locked out to prevent
overheating. Asking for more information, I understand that they
reckon it is the pressure regulating valve that could be broken.
Especially this could happen if the flat has been unused for a long
period of time (in this case pretty much two years).

Then the (mains supply of cold) water stops working alltogether, and I
get another company out for an emergency visit. They 'let the air out
of the system' and tested all sorts of things. Conclusion; the 'air'
in the system stopped the water. It was only my flat that was
affected.

To explain the low pressure (less than 1 bar, if not less - it takes a
minute to fill a glass of water and don't even get me started on
showering) this guy reckons the pressure regulating valve is busted
and should be changed.

Naively it seems to me that the source of all these problems is the
pressure regulating valve, and if it is finally fixed on the fourth
visit of qualified people at the quoted price, it will have cost me
about £800 for the four visits, parts etc.

Is this a usual story, or am I doing something stupid?

Probably looking at other posts you will want more details, but I
don't know where to start...

Thanks,
Guttorm
Lee

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure regulating
valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a price of £120-£180
for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Not sure what you mean, from your post, but if it's one that on the
mains cold water supply, not part of the boiler, is it one of the type
on this page?:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-0000 if it is, then it sounds a little
expensive for the part at least.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
John Rumm

Guttorm Christensen wrote:

Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure regulating
valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a price of £120-£180
for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Hmm having a bit of difficulty working out what "pressure regulating
valve" you are talking about....

You could be talking about the boilers pressure relief valve. Have a
read of Ed's sealed system FAQ and pay particular attention to said
valve and the role expansion vessels play.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

It that does not sound like what you are talking about, then perhaps a
bit more information would help. i.e. Where is this valve? Part of the
boiler, or something external to it? Could you photograph it and stick
it on a web page for us to look at?

Probably looking at other posts you will want more details, but I
don't know where to start...

'fraid so ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Guttorm Christensen

* Lee, Apr 13, 4:38 pm:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure regulating
valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a price of

=A3120-=A3180
for the valve, and =A3120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Not sure what you mean, from your post, but if it's one that on
the mains cold water supply, not part of the boiler, is it one
of the type on this page?:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-0000 if it is, then it sounds
a little expensive for the part at least.

The valve is on the mains cold water supply, not on the boiler

It is the third unit sitting on the pipe. Firstly there is the stop
cock URL: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/329-0000, then there is a
'double check valve' (very similar if not identical to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/339-0000) that I was told prevents dirt
(!) coming through and contamination of mains supply, then there is
what I am told is the 'pressure regulating valve'.

Here's my attempt of a schematic diagram:

-- mains cold water coming into the room

-- stop cock

-- double check valve

-- pressure regulating valve

It does look very similar to many of the ones in your link, in
particular this one here; URL: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890.

However it says 3,5 bar on the black nob and you cannot adjust the
pressure.

Looking at my quote;

parts =A3120-=A3180
labour =A3120+

=3D =A3240 - =A3300

Should I try and fit this pressure regulating valve myself?

The last time I had the plumbers in they simply checked every other
element of the pipes etc, so I am sure this is actually my problem.

Would I be stupid to do this myself? I guess I need a couple of
spanners but that's it, right? [a]

Guttorm

[a] procedure; (1) stop the water at the mains; (2) drain water from
the pipes; (3) close the stop cock; (4) fit the new item; (5) bring the
mains pressure back on; (6) slowly open the stop cock to ensure no leaks

Guttorm Christensen

* John Rumm, Apr 13, 7:37 pm:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure g
regulatin valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a
price of =A3120-=A3180 for the valve, and =A3120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Hmm having a bit of difficulty working out what "pressure
regulating valve" you are talking about....

You could be talking about the boilers pressure relief valve.
Have aread of Ed's sealed system FAQ and pay particular
attention to said valve and the role expansion vessels play.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

It that does not sound like what you are talking about, then perhaps

bit more information would help. i.e. Where is this valve? Part of

the
boiler, or something external to it? Could you photograph it and

stick
it on a web page for us to look at?

There is only one pipe for the water supply into the flat. This is the
'mains cold water supply'.

The pressure regulating valve is the third unit on the pipe coming into
the flat, and previous plumber identified this valve (whatever it is
called ;-) as where the pressure is reduced.

The valve itself looks very similar to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890, the only difference being that
there is no nob to change the pressure.

Thanks

----
Guttorm

Doctor Evil

"Guttorm Christensen" wrote in message
oups.com...
* John Rumm, Apr 13, 7:37 pm:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
[...]

Guttorm,

£120-180 for the valve is rip-off. What pressure is the valve set to? What
size pipe? Any idea? Unless you have super high pressure to drop down,
then an expensive valve would be required.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
[...]

parts £120-£180
labour £120+

= £240 - £300

Should I try and fit this pressure regulating valve myself?

The last time I had the plumbers in they simply checked every other
element of the pipes etc, so I am sure this is actually my problem.

Would I be stupid to do this myself? I guess I need a couple of
spanners but that's it, right? [a]

Guttorm

Go to a few plumbing dealers around and price one up. Make sure it is
identical. Then it is a matter of swapping type for type. Smear some
jointing compound on the compression olives before tightening back up.

Make sure you can drain the water out of the pipe, and have a bowl under the
valve.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Guttorm Christensen" writes:
There is only one pipe for the water supply into the flat. This is the
'mains cold water supply'.
The pressure regulating valve is the third unit on the pipe coming into
the flat, and previous plumber identified this valve (whatever it is
called ;-) as where the pressure is reduced.
The valve itself looks very similar to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890, the only difference being that
there is no nob to change the pressure.

I wonder if you are in an area (London only AFAIK) where the
water pressure has been deliberately dropped to reduce leaks
from the water mains? Ask your neighbours if they have had
a similar experience over the same period. In that case, you
might just need to remove it, but that might not leave your
installation safe if the pressure should rise again.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Guttorm Christensen

* Andrew Gabriel, Apr 14, 3:16 am:

In article .com,
"Guttorm Christensen" writes:

There is only one pipe for the water supply into the flat.
This is the 'mains cold water supply'.
The pressure regulating valve is the third unit on the pipe
coming into the flat, and previous plumber identified this valve
(whatever it is called ;-) as where the pressure is reduced.
The valve itself looks very similar to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890, the only difference
being that there is no nob to change the pressure.

I wonder if you are in an area (London only AFAIK) where the
water pressure has been deliberately dropped to reduce leaks
from the water mains? Ask your neighbours if they have had
a similar experience over the same period. In that case, you
might just need to remove it, but that might not leave your
installation safe if the pressure should rise again.

Yes I am in London NW3. My flat is in a block of flats that were built
in 2000.

I am told that there are 'pumps' that increase the mains pressure to
the hundred or so flats. None of my neighbours have had similar
problems, mind you my flat was empty for about two years until I moved
back in about half a year ago. This, according to my plumber, explain
why the valve has gone faulty.

I guess I should get a replacement valve, however I was just stunned to
see the price!

Guttorm

John Stumbles

Guttorm Christensen wrote:

* John Rumm, Apr 13, 7:37 pm:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure g
regulatin valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a
price of £120-£180 for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

The valve itself looks very similar to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890, the only difference being that
there is no nob to change the pressure.

Soem have a screrw adjustment. I got one like that for a few pounds
(£10-ish? IIRC) from BES. I suggest you also get a pressure gauge (again
cheap from BES, though you'll need a way of connecting its 1/4" BSP male
thread to something more useful) and mesure your water pressure (a) where
it enters your flat (b) after the pressure reducing valve, and maybe also
at taps etc.

Pete C

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:38:10 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:

* John Rumm, Apr 13, 7:37 pm:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure g
regulatin valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a
price of £120-£180 for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

The valve itself looks very similar to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890, the only difference being that
there is no nob to change the pressure.

Soem have a screrw adjustment. I got one like that for a few pounds
(£10-ish? IIRC) from BES. I suggest you also get a pressure gauge (again
cheap from BES, though you'll need a way of connecting its 1/4" BSP male
thread to something more useful) and mesure your water pressure (a) where
it enters your flat (b) after the pressure reducing valve, and maybe also
at taps etc.

Hi,

BES have the bits needed, a 1/4 to 3/4 BSP bush would allow it to be
connected to a washing machine hose and tap.

cheers,
Pete.