Doctor Evil

"Guttorm Christensen" wrote in message
oups.com...
* Lee, Apr 13, 4:38 pm:

Guttorm Christensen wrote:
Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure regulating
valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a price of

£120-£180
for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Not sure what you mean, from your post, but if it's one that on
the mains cold water supply, not part of the boiler, is it one
of the type on this page?:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-0000 if it is, then it sounds
a little expensive for the part at least.

The valve is on the mains cold water supply, not on the boiler

It is the third unit sitting on the pipe. Firstly there is the stop
cock URL: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/329-0000, then there is a
'double check valve' (very similar if not identical to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/339-0000) that I was told prevents dirt
(!) coming through and contamination of mains supply, then there is
what I am told is the 'pressure regulating valve'.

Here's my attempt of a schematic diagram:

-- mains cold water coming into the room

-- stop cock

-- double check valve

-- pressure regulating valve

It does look very similar to many of the ones in your link, in
particular this one here; URL: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890.

However it says 3,5 bar on the black nob and you cannot adjust the
pressure.

Looking at my quote;

parts £120-£180
labour £120+

= £240 - £300

Should I try and fit this pressure regulating valve myself?

The last time I had the plumbers in they simply checked every other
element of the pipes etc, so I am sure this is actually my problem.

Would I be stupid to do this myself? I guess I need a couple of
spanners but that's it, right? [a]

Guttorm

Go to a few plumbing dealers around and price one up. Make sure it is
identical. Then it is a matter of swapping type for type. Smear some
jointing compound on the compression olives before tightening back up.

Make sure you can drain the water out of the pipe, and have a bowl under the
valve.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download