Guttorm Christensen

* Andrew Gabriel, Apr 14, 3:16 am:

In article .com,
"Guttorm Christensen" writes:

There is only one pipe for the water supply into the flat.
This is the 'mains cold water supply'.
The pressure regulating valve is the third unit on the pipe
coming into the flat, and previous plumber identified this valve
(whatever it is called ;-) as where the pressure is reduced.
The valve itself looks very similar to URL:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/343-1890, the only difference
being that there is no nob to change the pressure.

I wonder if you are in an area (London only AFAIK) where the
water pressure has been deliberately dropped to reduce leaks
from the water mains? Ask your neighbours if they have had
a similar experience over the same period. In that case, you
might just need to remove it, but that might not leave your
installation safe if the pressure should rise again.

Yes I am in London NW3. My flat is in a block of flats that were built
in 2000.

I am told that there are 'pumps' that increase the mains pressure to
the hundred or so flats. None of my neighbours have had similar
problems, mind you my flat was empty for about two years until I moved
back in about half a year ago. This, according to my plumber, explain
why the valve has gone faulty.

I guess I should get a replacement valve, however I was just stunned to
see the price!

Guttorm