Ned Simmons

Default Opinions on 1/2" pistol drills

Has anyone bought a currently available model they especially like?

Extra points for:

-Jacobs chuck (not keyless), or a 1/2-20 spindle that will accept the
chuck off my old drill.
-Good speed control and convenient reverse for power tapping.
-*Not* the Milwaukee Magnum style long trigger, which IMO is an
ergonomic abomination. I notice some of the newer Milwaukees have a
shorter 2-finger trigger.
-Something that won't twist your arm off before you can release the
trigger when it jams. I've got a 1/2" spade handle drill for when I want
to beat myself up.

Ned Simmons
Jordan

Bosch makes drills with torque-limiting.
Any others?

I have a dewalt 1/2" drill, which is very strong, but, unfortunately,
twists my hands. I admit to not having strong wrists.

Ken Davey

Jordan wrote:
Bosch makes drills with torque-limiting.
Any others?

I have a dewalt 1/2" drill, which is very strong, but, unfortunately,
twists my hands. I admit to not having strong wrists.

I have a half-inch double reduction pistol grip.
I had a half-inch bit jam in a hole and as I am left handed the torgue
forced my hand against the trigger lock button. I was still bleeding when I
got my dremel out and cut that button off flush with the case. Took a month
to heal.
Regards.
Ken (dances with drills)
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Robin S.

I have a Metabo (Walter is Metabo, FYI) BE1020 (see www.metabo.com), made in
Germany.

It has a torque-limiting clutch which I have tripped a couple of times. It
comes in handy when breaking through the back face of a part. Virtually all
of Metabo's drills have this feature (some of the really cheap "made in
China" drills may not). It is a good idea to use the included side handle as
the safety clutch is fairly stiff.

The BE1020 has electronic speed control (what they call VTC) so it runs at
full RPM at maximum load. It has a two speed gear box. These two features
make the tool great for tapping. The max speed is set via a dial on the top
of the drill, and the trigger will go from zero to whatever the max setting
is.

The electronic speed control will shut down the machine if it overheats (a
co-worker did that only once) and when the brushes need to be replaced.

It cost me about $300 Cnd. and is well worth the money, IMO. I drill
aluminum, mild steel, cast iron and cast tooling steel with the machine. You
should be able to use any tap which will fit in the 1/2" chuck (which I
believe is made by Rohm).

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
Has anyone bought a currently available model they especially like?

Extra points for:

-Jacobs chuck (not keyless), or a 1/2-20 spindle that will accept the
chuck off my old drill.
-Good speed control and convenient reverse for power tapping.
-*Not* the Milwaukee Magnum style long trigger, which IMO is an
ergonomic abomination. I notice some of the newer Milwaukees have a
shorter 2-finger trigger.
-Something that won't twist your arm off before you can release the
trigger when it jams. I've got a 1/2" spade handle drill for when I want
to beat myself up.

Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks, Robin. That looks like it could be a winner. There's also a
slightly smaller version that I might consider. It doesn't seem to have
as fancy electronics as yours, but looks pretty similar otherwise, and
is about $55 US less. As I mentioned before, I have a big spade handle
drill, so don't feel the need for anything too torquey.

http://www.metabousa.com/metabo/us/u...attelectronict
wospeeddrillbe710_00830.html

http://www.metabousa.com/metabo/us/u...wattelectronic
twospeeddrillbe1020_00831.html

http://www.allprotools.com/store/page177.html

Ned Simmons

jim rozen

In article , Ned Simmons
says...

-*Not* the Milwaukee Magnum style long trigger, which IMO is an
ergonomic abomination.

No kidding. I always thought those were a disaster. I almost
broke my wrist one time with one of those. The switch is
designed so if the drill grabs, you can't help but hit the
trigger harder!

My personal preference is for the older milwaukee drills with
the aluminum housings and the shorter triggers. Mine's a
3/8 inch drill though.

I do have a half inch D-handle drill at work with the side
arm handle, which is indespensible. I don't often need it,
but when I do.....

Jim

please reply to:
Roger Shoaf

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ned Simmons
says...

-*Not* the Milwaukee Magnum style long trigger, which IMO is an
ergonomic abomination.

No kidding. I always thought those were a disaster. I almost
broke my wrist one time with one of those. The switch is
designed so if the drill grabs, you can't help but hit the
trigger harder!

Damn. I was going to say how much I liked my Milwaukee Magnum. I really
like the removable cord. Perhaps this is because I have small hands or
something but I have never had a problem with the trigger.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Keep Several Hand Drills on Hand MilkyWhy Home Repair 5 December 24th 04 01:59 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Porter-Cable 9978 & 9878 cordless drill opinions? Greg M Woodworking 0 April 12th 04 09:43 PM
Opinions on computer home design software Jeff Home Repair 0 January 16th 04 03:27 AM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM