Chuck Lorentzson

Default off subject,freefax software?

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

If you are running a Windows version in the computer and it has a modem
board installed, the software that came with the modem includes fax
software.

Paul

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Chuck Lorentzson" wrote in message
First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

Your question should be one many of us would like answered. Hopefully any
advice dispensed will be posted, not sent to you alone. Like you, I
would like the ability to send (or receive) the occasional fax, but would
like to avoid the added expense of the machine if there's a way around it.
Having yet another piece of equipment on the desk isn't a good idea, either.

Harold

Jim Stewart

Chuck Lorentzson wrote:

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

Been there, done that. Maybe I can save
you some pain.

After our 2nd fax machine bit the dust,
we set up a server with fax software and
a brand-new top-of-the-line US Robotics
stand-alone modem.

It didn't work. The modem rejected about
25% of the incoming fax calls. Nothing
I could do would fix it.

Go out and buy the cheapest Cannon fax
machine with a laser print engine. Ours
has worked quite well and has had a very
reasonable per-page cost.

Avoid the film ribbon machines like the
plague. The per-page cost is horrible.

jw

It's possible to sign up for fax service. It's basically an email
system. I don't remember if there is a monthly cost, but I do know
there is a per page cost. You can "fax" anything digital to a mailbox
and it get's faxed out. Things faxed in are emailed to you or left in
the mailbox for you to pick up.

JW

Karl Townsend

Incoming only - free. efax.com

My printer is *supposed* to send faxes with the modem. All free with the
computer. Works most of the time, but last time something wouldn't so I went
to town and paid to send one.

In my case, I can nearly always email instead of fax for outgoing.

Karl

"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's possible to sign up for fax service. It's basically an email
system. I don't remember if there is a monthly cost, but I do know
there is a per page cost. You can "fax" anything digital to a mailbox
and it get's faxed out. Things faxed in are emailed to you or left in
the mailbox for you to pick up.

JW

John Sullivan

They alsao have a paid service which allows sending also. I've been using
them for incoming only (the free one) for about 5 years without a hitch.

In combination with an all-in-one printer for outgoing, the efax free
service covers it all. Just be aware that they support the free service
through the use of fax-advertisements (I recieve 2-3 ads per year through
the service)

John
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message nk.net...
Incoming only - free. efax.com

My printer is *supposed* to send faxes with the modem. All free with the
computer. Works most of the time, but last time something wouldn't so I
went to town and paid to send one.

In my case, I can nearly always email instead of fax for outgoing.

Karl

"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's possible to sign up for fax service. It's basically an email
system. I don't remember if there is a monthly cost, but I do know
there is a per page cost. You can "fax" anything digital to a mailbox
and it get's faxed out. Things faxed in are emailed to you or left in
the mailbox for you to pick up.

JW

Rick Renner

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:07:48 -0600, Chuck Lorentzson
wrote:

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

I use the freeware version of V3's call center on my windoz client.
Get it at: http://www.v3inc.com/

I use it mostly to receive errant faxes to my home voice line. Seems
that my voice number is only one digit different from the local Otis
Elevator office's fax line :-( Once I learn who sent the fax, it's
usually easy to fix the problem.

I have sent a couple of faxes with it and it seems to work just fine.
Its send facillity installs as a printer driver.

Over all I like it and you can't beat the price.

Rick
PrecisionMachinisT

"Chuck Lorentzson" wrote in message
First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

Win xp has a built in utility for this.

Oftentimes, cheap pci buss modems will fail to answer, I went to an older
zoom 56k external modem and it seems to always pickup now.

For sending, usually any old fax machine ( cheap, from the goodwill or flea
market) will still scan and send okay--folks dump them right and left
because of the film or paper feed jamming and / or high ( inflated ) ink
costs....

Just set the old fax to "tel" mode so that it wont pickup on incoming calls
and run an extention from it to your modem set to auto recieve...

The other solution is similar, except it involves using a scanner instead of
an old fax machine for sending.....pretty sure you save your scanned
document as a ".tif" instead of a ".jpg"....

--

SVL

JR North

Why bother? You can buy a brand new Panasonic fax/copier/phone center
for $35. on Ebay.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Chuck Lorentzson wrote:

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Gunner

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:45:08 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Chuck Lorentzson wrote:

[...]

I use WinFax Pro for my business. Works great.

I use a scanner to generate a faxed copy of a document to send, or
send directly from applications.

I probably have dozen or so CDs that came with modems, with fax
programs. If you cant find something that tickles your fancy, email
me your snail mail addy and Ill send you one.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
RAM^3

Chuck Lorentzson wrote:

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

If your computer is running Windows 98SE/ME/XP you may already have the
software, especially if you have either MS Works or MS Word.

Many modem mfgs also include this type of software on their installation
disks.

You might, also, like to look into one of the "All-In-One" printers:
these are often used as dedicated fax machines.

Since you didn't say whether you're more interested in sending or
receiving fax messages, I can only speculate that you're wanting to do
both.

Before commenting further, it's important to know just which Operating
System and which Word Processor you're using.
Don Foreman

wrote:

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

I've used a number of FAX software packages including Win FAX. My
experience has been that all of them work at times and none of them
work every time. I don't know why that is. It would sure seem that
a FAX modem could replicate the function of a FAX machine.

I finally broke down and bought a cheap Canon fax machine. It takes
very little space and it works every time for both incoming and
outgoing. As another poster noted, the print ribbon is quite
pricey, but I do FAX's seldom enough that it doesn't matter. I
don't mind using a bit of ribbon to print an incoming purchase
order....

PrecisionMachinisT

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

I finally broke down and bought a cheap Canon fax machine. It takes
very little space and it works every time for both incoming and
outgoing. As another poster noted, the print ribbon is quite
pricey, but I do FAX's seldom enough that it doesn't matter. I
don't mind using a bit of ribbon to print an incoming purchase
order....

All fine and dandy till the fax spammers get your number.

--

SVL