PrecisionMachinisT

"Chuck Lorentzson" wrote in message
First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

Win xp has a built in utility for this.

Oftentimes, cheap pci buss modems will fail to answer, I went to an older
zoom 56k external modem and it seems to always pickup now.

For sending, usually any old fax machine ( cheap, from the goodwill or flea
market) will still scan and send okay--folks dump them right and left
because of the film or paper feed jamming and / or high ( inflated ) ink
costs....

Just set the old fax to "tel" mode so that it wont pickup on incoming calls
and run an extention from it to your modem set to auto recieve...

The other solution is similar, except it involves using a scanner instead of
an old fax machine for sending.....pretty sure you save your scanned
document as a ".tif" instead of a ".jpg"....

--

SVL