Don Foreman

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:07:48 -0600, Chuck Lorentzson
wrote:

First let me say thanks for reading my question. I have found myself
in need of using 'fax'. I don't really want to go down and buy a
separate machine for this purpose, but if that turns out to be the
best option, than so be it. What I '''think''' I would like to do is
download free software off the web, if possible, and use a spare old
computer I have. I really don't have a clue as what would be the best
'route' to take. Hope you can guide me around some of the 'bumps'.
remove z to reply.
Off subject post? The reason I post here, because I can understand
your 'replies', thank in advance. 73 cl.

I've used a number of FAX software packages including Win FAX. My
experience has been that all of them work at times and none of them
work every time. I don't know why that is. It would sure seem that
a FAX modem could replicate the function of a FAX machine.

I finally broke down and bought a cheap Canon fax machine. It takes
very little space and it works every time for both incoming and
outgoing. As another poster noted, the print ribbon is quite
pricey, but I do FAX's seldom enough that it doesn't matter. I
don't mind using a bit of ribbon to print an incoming purchase
order....