Karl Townsend

Default Bad spot on motor?

I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up
and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only hum;
no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a bad
spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this problem?

Karl

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message ink.net...
I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up
and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only

hum;
no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a

bad
spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this

problem?

Karl

Sounds more like you've lost one leg of the three phase. Without it the
motor won't start. Check to see if you have voltage on all three legs.

Harold

Shawn

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message ink.net...
I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up
and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only

hum;
no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a

bad
spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this

problem?

Karl

Perhaps the holding brake is sticking.

Shawn

Pete

With the rotor removed energize the fields , throw a steel ball bearing into
field .If the field windings are good the bearing will race around the
inside , if one field is bad the ball bearing will stop and vibrate. Simple
, but it works.

Pete

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message ink.net...
I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up
and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only hum;
no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a
bad spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this
problem?

Karl

JohnM

Pete wrote:
With the rotor removed energize the fields , throw a steel ball bearing into
field .If the field windings are good the bearing will race around the
inside , if one field is bad the ball bearing will stop and vibrate. Simple
, but it works.

Hey, I like Pete's method. Those hoists are pretty good stuff, so I'd
not suspect the motor first off. Check the switch, look for cruddiness
or a loose wire there.

John

Gunner

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:58:35 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up
and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only hum;
no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a bad
spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this problem?

Karl

Typically this means you lost contact in one leg of the switch. A bit
of WD-40 usually cleans em up.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael
Karl Townsend

With the rotor removed energize the fields , throw a steel ball bearing
into field .If the field windings are good the bearing will race around
the inside , if one field is bad the ball bearing will stop and vibrate.
Simple , but it works.

Hey, I like Pete's method. Those hoists are pretty good stuff, so I'd not
suspect the motor first off. Check the switch, look for cruddiness or a
loose wire there.

Thanks for the tips. I just gotta try that ball bearing trick.

I can testify that they do break. I use a hoist to unload apple bins into
the packing line. On the VERY LAST bin of the year, the hoist broke suddenly
and dropped 800 lbs. of fruit in the water RIGHT NOW. Seconds earlier and it
would have caught my hand. Anyway, very lucky twice over.

I'm going to rebuild both the auction special and the broken one. Then I'll
have a spare ready to go.

Karl

Douglas Adams

I'm not sure about the laws in your area but over here any lifting device
must be certified when used in an industrial establishment.

If somebody gets injured or killed because you are using unqualified
equipment your ass is grass.

Be careful. It doesn't hurt to spend a few extra bucks and have it checked
out by a pro.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message news

..
[...]

Robert Swinney

John sez: Hey, I like Pete's method. Those hoists are pretty good stuff, so
I'd
not suspect the motor first off. Check the switch, look for cruddiness or
a loose wire there.

The switch idea is consistent with Harold's "lost a phase" hypothesis above.
It gets my vote as #1 most likely to cause interruptus defunctus.

Bob Swinney

"JohnM" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
With the rotor removed energize the fields , throw a steel ball bearing
into field .If the field windings are good the bearing will race around
the inside , if one field is bad the ball bearing will stop and vibrate.
Simple , but it works.

John

Robert Swinney

Karl,

didja ever think . . . you're drawing bad Karma because you didn't send me
my sack of apples?

Bob Swinney
[...]

Brian Lawson

Hey Karl,

Much more likely to be a bad contact in the switch or the
relay/contactor.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

remove .NOT to reply wrote:

I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up
and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only hum;
no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a bad
spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this problem?

Karl

Karl Townsend

didja ever think . . . you're drawing bad Karma because you didn't send
me
my sack of apples?

I BET THT"S IT. Trouble is I got CRS, remind next Nov 1 and I'll send you
one. HoneyCrisp if you ask nice.

Karl