~Roy~

Default 4 cylinder 28VDC Military Generator set question

Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

Greg O

"~Roy~" wrote in message
Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

Now you know why it was free!
Greg

Jerry Martes

Roy

Could you get an inverter that converts 24 volts to 220/110 VAC for
houshold use as a "back up" generator?

For the past few years, I've spent some alot of time repairing high
current 28 VDC generators for aircraft ground power units. If it is big
enough to seat their needs, maybe you could give it to someone at the local
airport, or even sell it if there is enough need there.

Jerry

"~Roy~" wrote in message
Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:41:06 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"~Roy~" wrote in message
.. .
Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

Now you know why it was free!
Greg

Use it to charge 24V batteries to feed a UPS inverter circuit?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Halcitron

~Roy~ wrote:
Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator

on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna

do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

You can make a voltage divider (Google), to drop the uneeded voltage.
If you use a 50 ohm potentiometer and some resistors in parallel, you
should be able to vary from 0 to 28 volts.

Use a voltmeter to measure the output voltage. You would want to use no
more than 13.5 VDC to charge or run a 12VDC battery or system.

:/

Steve W.

Build an experimental aircraft. Lot's of them being built and powered
with those engines.
OR find a large 24 volt motor and build a hybrid auto.

--
Steve Williams

"~Roy~" wrote in message
Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

Bill Janssen

~Roy~ wrote:

Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

If that 4 cylinder engine is air colled and looks a lot like an aircraft
engine then
it is worth something as parts. Many of those engines had a special
crank case but
aircraft rated parts. Homebuilt arcraft can use the case, after
modifications and regular
aircraft can use the other parts if they have model numbers that
indicate "aircraft worthy".

Check aircraft engine rebuilders.

Bill K7NOM
Bill Janssen

Ignoramus22998 wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:08:10 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:28:08 -0700, Winston Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:36:10 GMT,
(~Roy~) wrote:

Just what can I do with it. Its the typical military stand engine,
made by Teledyne or continental, but it has a lousy 28VDC generator on
it. Its fairly large approx 30 inches wide n 24 inches high and about
3 feet long. It runs like a champ...........but 28 VDC is not gonna do
me much good. It was obtained for free............so I sure was not
gonna turn it down........

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45416
10,000 WATTS PEAK/7200 WATTS RATED BELT-DRIVEN GENERATOR HEAD

Build your own belt driven brushless generator
3600 RPM
Uses a 20 HP gas or diesel engine for maximum performance
Comes with two 20 amp 120 volt receptacles and one 30 amp 120/240 volt
twistlock receptacle
Circuit breaker protected
92 lb. shipping weight
Keyway: 1/4''; Shaft: 1'' diameter x 2-1/4'' long; Belt driven

ITEM 45416-1VGA
$299.99

Get a big-assed UPS and use it as an inverter - get the equivalent to
a Honda E series inverter genset.

That would have to be a UPS that uses 28V batteries, quite
unusual. Most big UPSes have many batteries connected in series,
resulting in relatively high DC voltage.

It still sounds like a airplane engine driven generator. Many of them
had a special
crank case but aircraft rated other parts. If so, you could sell the
aircraft parts and buy a generater.

Bill K7NOM

~Roy~

Gonna scrap the generator and all its associated equipment, and
utilize the engine for a bandsaw wood mill........

Solves that problem........

OT but very important to us all no spam Woodworking 663 July 12th 05 04:12 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Hot water cylinder Pandora UK diy 67 November 4th 04 09:02 PM
Hyd. cylinder repair and question Tom Gardner Metalworking 9 August 18th 04 03:06 PM