CROQ

Default ISO container, engineer type question

Howdy Folks,

I have a need to place a rubber liner in a steel 20' Dry ISO container and
fill said bladder with 40,000 pounds, (640 cu.ft., or 4800 gallons) of
fluid. That would put the fluid approximately 4' up the wall.

I know I am within the general weight capacity, but can the sidewalls take
that kind of pressure? The container will not be moved while loaded.

What say you?
Thanks!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:41:40 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

Howdy Folks,

I have a need to place a rubber liner in a steel 20' Dry ISO container and
fill said bladder with 40,000 pounds, (640 cu.ft., or 4800 gallons) of
fluid. That would put the fluid approximately 4' up the wall.

I know I am within the general weight capacity, but can the sidewalls take
that kind of pressure?

Not a chance.

The container will not be moved while loaded.

Oh yes it will. Parts of it anyway.

What say you?

The structural integrety of those are in the skeleton and floor.
Walls are basically there to keep the weather out. Containers
specifically for fluids are generally cylindrical for a reason.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/3krre

"Tank ISO containers have a cylindrical tank mounted within a
rectangular steel framework. These containers are built to the same
standard dimenions as other ISO containers. They are used to
transport liquid or bulk materials."

Longshoreman

CROQ

wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the info. What about the walls of an open top container? The
descriptions say they are for heavy, loose bulk material, coal, grain,
etc.. Does water fit in there somewhere. The fluid deal is a temporary
situation, I'd like to reuse the container later. The dry box is easier
to find here in KS than the Tank container. But if the walls are going
to blow out, I'll be going to plan B, an open top or C, have the fine
folks here spec me out a 20' tube to frame a 5' wall. Speaking of
which, what are the dimensions of the lower rails of these dry
containers?

Thanks again!

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:18:41 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

wrote in message
news
[...]

No Sir. At least one couldn't get that in writing from any ISO can
manufacturer. Especially a used can.

The fluid deal is a temporary
situation, I'd like to reuse the container later. The dry box is easier
to find here in KS than the Tank container. But if the walls are going
to blow out, I'll be going to plan B, an open top or C, have the fine
folks here spec me out a 20' tube to frame a 5' wall.

The right tool for the job isn't plan A or B.

Check into getting a tank ISO can in your area. You could likely
trade it back in to whoever sells them for a standard can after you're
finished with the water storage. Tell them what you're trying to
accomplish and they'll probably have a reasonable solution. They may
even just rent you one?

Good luck.

CROQ

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:18:41 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks Longshoreman,

I will heed your advice on what not to use, however an ISO tank will not
work for my application. I need an 8'x20' rectangular tank with a minimum
of 4' of air space above the fluid surface. The ISO box seemed like a ready
made solution, guess I call an engineer Monday.

Thanks again!

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:16:38 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

.. .

wrote in message
news On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:41:40 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

[...]

In that case perhaps you could ask the engineer if adding horizontal
support (think heavy I-beam or structural steel) to the sides of a
standard can would be feasible. They'd have to be welded at the
corners only, perhaps two per side at equal heights (?) between the
bottom and top of the water level?

The door side might be tricky, but it is already supported by the
locking mechanism, both horizontally and vertically. I guess you
could run the lengths wild and weld in the supports between them on
the door side as close as you could get to the handles/hinges.

Thanks again!

No problem. I've seen cans used in some interesting situations;
temporary, portable living quarters, walls for shops, boat house, bomb
shelters, just to name a few. Your project has piqued my interest,
please let us know what your solution is.

Longshoreman

CROQ

wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:16:38 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I thought if the walls of the dry box were not of sufficient strength, the
wall could be notched and another horizontal frame piece welded in about 2'
or 3' up. Similar to this http://www.seabox.com/id-89 of course mine would
not seperate or have the corner cut. As far as the doors, I still need
access while loaded so a bulkhead would be installed. I have not seen a
container close up, so I can not say where I would put new steel however, I
would want to keep everything within the original exterior dimensions..

Thanks again!

No problem. I've seen cans used in some interesting situations;
temporary, portable living quarters, walls for shops, boat house, bomb
shelters, just to name a few. Your project has piqued my interest,
please let us know what your solution is.

Longshoreman

I'll tell you, I'm finding these container boxes downright fascinating.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:30:01 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

I thought if the walls of the dry box were not of sufficient strength, the
wall could be notched and another horizontal frame piece welded in about 2'
or 3' up. Similar to this http://www.seabox.com/id-89 of course mine would
not seperate or have the corner cut.

The only places to weld horizonal support(s) are on the four corner
uprights. Inside or exterior placement is up to you. Personally I'd
go exterior to save the interior storage room. Those walls are so
thin we used cut out damaged sections with welding rod. As I said
before, the walls are only there to waterproof it, there's absolutely
no structual integrity there.

Did you run your needs by seabox? Bet they could assist with the
engineering.

As far as the doors, I still need
access while loaded so a bulkhead would be installed. I have not seen a
container close up, so I can not say where I would put new steel however, I
would want to keep everything within the original exterior dimensions..

Once you take a quick look at the interior, you'll see how to add that
bulkhead. Should be a piece of cake. Except for wrestling that chunk
of plate steel in place g.

No problem. I've seen cans used in some interesting situations;
temporary, portable living quarters, walls for shops, boat house, bomb
shelters, just to name a few. Your project has piqued my interest,
please let us know what your solution is.

I'll tell you, I'm finding these container boxes downright fascinating.

Heh, I know. Cheap, portable and therefore one need not get a permit
or have your property taxes increased. One of the welders in our
repair yard built a 2,500+/- sq ft shop out of eight 40' cans. They
were all deemed unseaworthy and too expesive to repair to justify that
cost... he hauled them off for free.

The concrete slab he poured cost more than all of the repairs
combined... not counting his time. Best part is he can take the shop
with him if he moves. It drives the local county building inspector
nuts, he lives next door g.

Please keep us posted.

Longshoreman

andy

I don't know much about shipping containers, but I do know that
portable tanks are availble for rent from outfits such as "Rain for
Rent". They are called frac tanks and I have seen them used for
contaminated groundwater storage prior to treatment and discharge.
They are towed by a truck, and can only be moved when empty.

good luck.
Andy

CROQ

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know much about shipping containers, but I do know that
portable tanks are availble for rent from outfits such as "Rain for
Rent". They are called frac tanks and I have seen them used for
contaminated groundwater storage prior to treatment and discharge.
They are towed by a truck, and can only be moved when empty.

good luck.
Andy

Thanks Andy, I will check that out.

JohnM

CROQ wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

What fluid?

Water.

Bury it 4' deep and backfil/compact as you fill it.

John
CROQ

"JohnM" wrote in message
CROQ wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

What fluid?

Water.

Bury it 4' deep and backfil/compact as you fill it.

John

Thanks John,
This will be inside my shop for now, on the concrete, don't want to chop
that up. But if I move it outside, that just might work for me.