Default Off topic, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I test drove a used one with 50,000 miles. I liked it alot,. Are these
good vehicles? I had someone tell me to get the 6 cylinder model that
the engine was better as well as the mileage. Is this true?

I drive about 50 miles a day almost all highway. (5 days a week)

Charles A. Sherwood

I have one. Its been a good dependable vehicle but is starting
to develope little problems at 9 years old and 60k miles.

The 4L gets about 13-14 around town and 17-23 on the highway
according to the onboard computer.
chuck

In article .com,
wrote:
I test drove a used one with 50,000 miles. I liked it alot,. Are these
good vehicles? I had someone tell me to get the 6 cylinder model that
the engine was better as well as the mileage. Is this true?

I drive about 50 miles a day almost all highway. (5 days a week)

Koz

wrote:

I test drove a used one with 50,000 miles. I liked it alot,. Are these
good vehicles? I had someone tell me to get the 6 cylinder model that
the engine was better as well as the mileage. Is this true?

I drive about 50 miles a day almost all highway. (5 days a week)

I can't say from first hand experience, but about a month ago I started
asking around my usual mechanic (yea, I'd love to do it myself but no
time) as to vehicles to avoid. Almost in unison, 4 mechanics said
"cherokee". It could be just sour grapes but I'd dig a little deeper
before I bought one.

Koz

Charles A. Sherwood

I can't say from first hand experience, but about a month ago I started
asking around my usual mechanic (yea, I'd love to do it myself but no
time) as to vehicles to avoid. Almost in unison, 4 mechanics said
"cherokee".

Well, Jeep makes a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee. Significantly
different vehicles. which one were they refering to?

I own a 96 grand and several of my neighbors own or have owned
grand cherokees. One guy ran his grand to over 170K before getting
rid of it.

I think the ABS on the grand cherokee is just amazing.

chuck

Koz

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

I can't say from first hand experience, but about a month ago I started
asking around my usual mechanic (yea, I'd love to do it myself but no
time) as to vehicles to avoid. Almost in unison, 4 mechanics said
"cherokee".

Well, Jeep makes a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee. Significantly
different vehicles. which one were they refering to?

I own a 96 grand and several of my neighbors own or have owned
grand cherokees. One guy ran his grand to over 170K before getting
rid of it.

I think the ABS on the grand cherokee is just amazing.

chuck

one mechanic said "grand cherokee" the others said "cherokee" Again, I
can't say if it was anything but this one shop's experience.

And to start another debate, when asked about trucks they leaned toward
GM makes, feeling the repair parts were less money (although overall
repairs between makes was about the same with the exception of toyota).
Just repeating what was said

Koz (who waits for the great Ford/Chevy debate to rage)

RellikJM

(although overall repairs between makes was about the same with the
exception of toyota). Just repeating what was said

Was the implication that toyota didn't or did require more repair?

RellikJM

Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:33:26 -0800, Koz
wrote:

one mechanic said "grand cherokee" the others said "cherokee" Again, I
can't say if it was anything but this one shop's experience.

And to start another debate, when asked about trucks they leaned toward
GM makes, feeling the repair parts were less money (although overall
repairs between makes was about the same with the exception of toyota).
Just repeating what was said

Koz (who waits for the great Ford/Chevy debate to rage)

Only experience I've had with a Grand Cherokee was an old friend who
had one with a Big Motha 572CI Cadillac motor stuffed in. (And I DO
mean stuffed.) He had to put in a custom 4-row 4-pass baffled
radiator to keep it happy in traffic.\

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Charles A. Sherwood

one mechanic said "grand cherokee" the others said "cherokee" Again, I
can't say if it was anything but this one shop's experience.

all I can do is relate my personal experience.
I bought my grand new in 96 and I am the only driver. It has 6 cylinder
4L motor with select trac T-case. The select trac allows 2wd, full time
and part time 4wd. This is the primary reason I choose the jeep
over the other vehicles like the exploder and blazer which had
inferior 4wd systems (at least at that time).

This vehicle has 63k miles on it. I have done normal items like brakes,
battery, tires. I still have the original exhaust system. I replaced
the shocks because I wanted to and the monroes seem a little bit
better. I do all the routine maintainence myself which is pretty
much oil changes, grease and coolent changes. This vehicle is driven
regularly and was my only vehicle until the last 3 years. It is still
my primary vehicle. I drive it to work and I have taken it off road
in the mountains of Colorado. This vehicle gets washed about 5 times
a year whether it needs it or not and the body shows no rust.
It was rust proofed by the dealer when new.

The AC has been worked on a couple times and has always been covered
under warrenty.

Currently the shocks on the rear hatch need to be replaced, the
transmission oil pain is oily but apparently there is no significant
leak. I just noticed a oil leak in the transmision lines to the
radiator which could be minor or could be significant.

IMO this is pretty damn good for a vehicle that is 9 years old.
chuck

What engine did you have? Where you happy with it?

Daniel A. Mitchell

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

I can't say from first hand experience, but about a month ago I started
asking around my usual mechanic (yea, I'd love to do it myself but no
time) as to vehicles to avoid. Almost in unison, 4 mechanics said
"cherokee".

Well, Jeep makes a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee. Significantly
different vehicles. which one were they refering to?

I own a 96 grand and several of my neighbors own or have owned
grand cherokees. One guy ran his grand to over 170K before getting
rid of it.

I think the ABS on the grand cherokee is just amazing.

chuck

I'm 70k miles into my second 'regular' Cherokee (a Chrysler 1998 model),
with no undue problems with either. The first (a 1985 AMC original) got
to 165k miles, and was still running great, but the Michigan road salt
had done it's work on the body. Overall, I thought, enough of the first
to buy the second. I also looked at the 'Grand" when I bought the second
Cherokee ... matching feature for feature (as much as possible) it was
$4K more than the regular model in 1998. I wasn't THAT impressed. While
larger overall, the "Grand's" rear cargo space was actually SMALLER than
the regular Cherokee, with a smaller tailgate (a problem for some of
what I haul).

Unfortunately, the Cherokee is now history, replaced by the new (and to
me unimpressive) "Liberty' model. The Liberty does have more interior
headroom, but seemingly less ground clearance, and is substantially
taller than the Cherokee. Why is everyone now obsessed with taller
narrower SUV's? It would seem they're less stable at a time when the
'breed' is getting bad publicity for just that.

The Cherokee (and the newer Liberty) are among the few 4WD vehicles that
offer (optionally) BOTH conventional 4WD and AWD, selectable as the
situation may warrant. I've had good luck with the 'combo'.

The "Grand" offers only one, or the other, not both. The "Grand's" AWD
is more sophisticated, HOWEVER, than the regular model's AWD.

I've heard, but can't substantiate, that Grand Cherokees (a different
vehicle) have more problems.

Dan Mitchell

What type of mileage do you get?

What types of problems are you developing? Doe sit use any oil or leak
anything?