ATP*

Default Series II head mount to Series I ram?

Will the newer 4 HP Series II heads bolt up to an older (1978) Series I? If
so, is there any loss of working height or does the bottom of the spindle
end up in almost the same place? Thanks.

Jon Elson

ATP* wrote:
Will the newer 4 HP Series II heads bolt up to an older (1978) Series I? If
so, is there any loss of working height or does the bottom of the spindle
end up in almost the same place? Thanks.

I'm no expert, but VERY unlikely! I did a round-ram M-head to J-head
update, and while VERY worthwhile, it was no bolt-on swap. the bolt
circle was totally different. I suspect it would be the same on this.
There's both a height difference and a "throat" difference to be
concerned with. Also, you need to consider the WEIGHT of the head.

Jon

ATP*

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
rvers.com...
ATP* wrote:
Will the newer 4 HP Series II heads bolt up to an older (1978) Series I?
If so, is there any loss of working height or does the bottom of the
spindle end up in almost the same place? Thanks.

I'm no expert, but VERY unlikely! I did a round-ram M-head to J-head
update, and while VERY worthwhile, it was no bolt-on swap. the bolt
circle was totally different. I suspect it would be the same on this.
There's both a height difference and a "throat" difference to be concerned
with. Also, you need to consider the WEIGHT of the head.

Jon

Thanks. I haven't seen the machines side by side in a while and didn't
realize there was a huge difference in size. I moved the headless Bridgeport
into my garage last night, avoiding tonight's snowstorm. Slid it off my
landscape trailer and rolled it into place. Not too bad of a move, really.
It's a 9 x 42 with 12" y travel, B'port power feed. Now it's time to get to
work on the chiwanese heads.

Waynemak

I stopped in the business selling the j head, he is asking $500, that's
high. He had it marked for $350 at a tag sale a while ago. The head has been
all rebuilt, has new bearings. He was building a machine for his shop but
decided to sell off his business. He built race engines. Turns out the
person he sold the business to is someone I have known for 30 years.
"Waynemak" wrote in message
I will see if the guy up here still has a J head for sale.
"ATP*" wrote in message

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
rvers.com...
ATP* wrote:
[...]

Jon Elson

ATP* wrote:
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
rvers.com...

ATP* wrote:

[...]

I've got a 1 HP 1J head. It seems to be PLENTY of power for me! I had
something pull loose from the vise, and after I'd shut the motor OFF,
it twisted the head to about 45 degrees, with the end mill working up
the side of the part, and me ducking for cover, expecting hot shapnel!
I can't imagine how any machine with swivels in the head mount could
really use much more power than that.

Most of the Series II machines had a rigid mount for the head.

Jon

Jon Elson

Waynemak wrote:
I stopped in the business selling the j head, he is asking $500, that's
high. He had it marked for $350 at a tag sale a while ago. The head has been
all rebuilt, has new bearings.

I don't know about that. If the head is in good shape, and the bearings
were installed by somebody that knows how to do it, that may actually be
a good price. I paid more than that for a 1J in rather rough condition.
The quill was seized in the housing, all small bearings in the motor and
back gear mechanism were shot. But, the main spindle bearings had
apparently been replaced, as they were still filled with the run-in
lube.

In my case, I was upgrading a round-ram machine from M head to 1J, and
it was the best thing I ever did for that mill!

Jon

ATP*

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
ervers.com...
ATP* wrote:
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
rvers.com...

ATP* wrote:

[...]

Probably a marketing thing. It seems like manufacturers have been boosting
the HP of the motors without changing anything else.

DoN. Nichols

In article , ATP* wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
servers.com...

[ ... ]

I've got a 1 HP 1J head. It seems to be PLENTY of power for me!

[ ... ]

Probably a marketing thing. It seems like manufacturers have been boosting
the HP of the motors without changing anything else.

Well ... part of it is that I believe that the 1HP 1J head is
step pulleys which you change by hand. The 2J which I have has the
continuously variable speed pulley assembly, and I believe that those
are rather inefficient, so you need more horsepower to do the same task.

And the Series II, I think, has a larger spindle, so it needs
more torque and HP to drive larger cutters.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM