Jon Elson

Waynemak wrote:
I stopped in the business selling the j head, he is asking $500, that's
high. He had it marked for $350 at a tag sale a while ago. The head has been
all rebuilt, has new bearings.

I don't know about that. If the head is in good shape, and the bearings
were installed by somebody that knows how to do it, that may actually be
a good price. I paid more than that for a 1J in rather rough condition.
The quill was seized in the housing, all small bearings in the motor and
back gear mechanism were shot. But, the main spindle bearings had
apparently been replaced, as they were still filled with the run-in
lube.

In my case, I was upgrading a round-ram machine from M head to 1J, and
it was the best thing I ever did for that mill!

Jon