Grant Erwin

Default cheap AC welders -- here's another one (Seattle)

In case anyone doesn't believe me about the actual market price for
little AC welders, here's yet another one under $100:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/for/60847389.html

GWE
Art

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:40:07 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

In case anyone doesn't believe me about the actual market price for
little AC welders, here's yet another one under $100:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/for/60847389.html

GWE

yeah, I've seen a whole bunch offered in that price range. They just
never seem to be anywhere near where I live :-(

I've been to a few used equipment dealers around my area
that had some small welders ~$150.
Their AC225's (actually all their welders) looked like they had
either fallen into the cement truck (and no one cared), or were
sitting out on the docks for 10 years, or both!! Now I dont care
much what they look like... but most of these things looked REALLY
well used and abused. At 2/3 the price of a new unit... I dont think
so.

I'm sure there are deals to be found around my local area, I just
wish I knew where to find them.

Art

Art

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:26:13 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

You're watching miami.craigslist.org, I take it? - GWE

yep! I am also running a wanted ad on there.
Art

wrote:

[...]

Proctologically Violated©®

The AC225 is really just a big multi-tapped transformer w/ a fan, where
somehow the 75 amp tap has a 100% duty cycle.
There were some threads here years ago about making your own welder out of
junked gonzo transformers.
Also the point being that if you could find a cosmetically *really* beat up
225, as long as the xformer is OK, you might get away cheap(er).

Funny, as simple as a buzzbox is, a lot of people just can't get it right,
like Sears.
Sears at one time appeared to be tryna compete w/ Lincoln, w/ a continuously
variable welder, w/ all kinds of bells/whistles. That thing was pert near
*un-usable*! At double the Lincoln price!

In 1980, the prices of these Lincoln units, w/ a pretty complete accessory
kit (incl wheels), was $105. Like an asshole, I let mine go, in pristine
condition. Actually, I gave it away!! kicking myself in the ass
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
news

wrote:

[...]

How effective are home bandsaw welders? Nick Alexander Metalworking 4 July 12th 04 04:09 PM
Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
A new low in cheap tools? Mickey Feldman Metalworking 35 February 15th 04 03:37 AM
Cheap tools Maxprop Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 04:55 PM
Anybody in Seattle looking for Welding gear? Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 7 August 4th 03 05:14 AM