Nick Alexander

Default How effective are home bandsaw welders?

Is it worth buying one of those home bandsaw blade welders? I always have
a few snapped blades that I could weld up, and I have heard it is quite
cheap to buy rolls of blade, but I am wondering if the results are as
durable as commercially welded blades. Have people here had good results?
Are there good and bad welders, or bacause the process is mainly electrical
are most welders okay? The one I am looking at is an MVM brand, which I
have never come across before. All comments would be appreciated.

Jim Levie

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:32:34 +1200, Nick Alexander wrote:

Is it worth buying one of those home bandsaw blade welders? I always have
a few snapped blades that I could weld up, and I have heard it is quite
cheap to buy rolls of blade, but I am wondering if the results are as
durable as commercially welded blades. Have people here had good results?
Are there good and bad welders, or bacause the process is mainly electrical
are most welders okay? The one I am looking at is an MVM brand, which I
have never come across before. All comments would be appreciated.

I've never heard of that brand, but I have used a couple of different
Pacific Rim (as well as good ol american iron) and they worked fine. As
long as there's enough power to allow fusion and the blade fixture holds
the blades in good alignment and keeps them that way during the weld you
should be able to get welds about as good with one of these that you'll
get with pre-welded blades.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

ERich10983

I've always silver soldered my blades and only had one joint fail in about 15
years. The jigs that hold the ends together while soldering work very nicely.
Easy to make yourself too.

Important thing is to scarf the ends and grind the joint so it doesn't bump
going through the guides. A Google search should get you some plans.

I bought a bunch of surplus blades for a very good price that were 10 inches
too long. Easy to modify to fit my saw.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
Roy

I have a 12 volt automotive battery powered blade welder and it works
like a champ. Does bi-metal and regular carbon steel blades perfectly

There is a link to the manufacturer of the bvlade welder on my website
under my 20 inch home made bandsaw link on the projects page as well
as the modifications to the H/V bandsaw page.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Robert Swinney

Earl sez:

"The jigs that hold the ends together while soldering work very nicely.
Easy to make yourself too."

I made one from a "welder's" Vicegrips.

Bob Swinney

"ERich10983" wrote in message
I've always silver soldered my blades and only had one joint fail in about

15
years. Important thing is to scarf the ends and grind the joint so it